Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 4" INLINE FAN to vent entire computer...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm 

I am about to build my first computer and upon doing research i've been super interested in building my own custom max air computer box.

Although since this is my first pc build i will be using a purchased tower, but my next build will have a custom box. Maybe even transfer to the new box down the road since my next build wont be for a long time.

I have a spare 4" inline fan i'm no longer using for "odor control" and was thinking that i could use JUST that to cool a tower(still more power consumption i know but lots of air flow) and no other fans except for the stock gpu fans and a down facing slimline cpu cooler. It would be neat though if all the gpu n cpu needed were heat sinks and the massive air flow would be enough if directed with some fins.

They work best as exhaust fans but the airflow over the hardware might be more aggressive if installed as intake.

Would have to create a simple way to attach the ducting to the top larger "2-fan" bay and block off the normal back exhaust port as to maximize the velocity of the air passing by the components.
Leaving the PSU air port and front air ports open.

If it was installed as intake, i would want to orientate the tower somehow so it was sitting on it's backside, so heat is being pushed up n out with the cold air being directly and initially blown over the cpu.

This amount of airflow wouldn't be necessary I know, and would draw a lot of dust if you don't install filters.
It just gets very hot in my house during the summer. I have to put my older ps3 ontop of ice packs or it screams at me til it overheats haha...that was until i just made a simple box with that same inline fan exhausting out the heat and drawing in cool air from my cellar door.
Now with it being winter time my ps3 either sits outside(30F) or in a closed room(50F)...very convenient cooling!

I'm sick of consoles though, everytime i get a new game they feel short lived...i think it's cause i can't mod them after i'm bored.

anywayssssss just an idea that i have yet to see so far---powerful inline fane to cool single or miltiple towers. or even a giant tower work horse.

I used to have my ps3 and audio reciever sitting in a cabnet under my entertainment center but that just tapped all the heat so i had thought about cutting a hole in the back and installing this fan.
Maybe there's a way to just install a PC into a mini fridge!?

ok i'll stop with the nonsense now haha

Post subject: Re: 4" INLINE FAN to vent entire computer...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've ran a computer in 90F-100F heat and it was just fine. I avoided playing games during the day though. But honestly, it really depends on how bad it gets and how much it would actually help. Chances are if your computer is getting airflow with decent cooling, it'll probably sit at 40C-50C. Yes that's a little high, but they were designed with those operating temperatures in mind anyway.

Also I believe adding more airflow doesn't help unless the airflow is beating the fans already cooling the device. Active cooling is dependent on airflow, not pumping in cooler static air.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Also I believe adding more airflow doesn't help unless the airflow is beating the fans already cooling the device. Active cooling is dependent on airflow, not pumping in cooler static air.

If it's beating the fans wouldn't that BE "more airflow"? sorry not trying to overthink those two sentences but i also don't under stand your second statement.

Can air actually be under static conditions, or isn't it always moving(kinetic)?
Anyways obviously the cool air will be moving quickly also not just slowly through the case.

I wouldn't have thought this was a good idea if i didn't think the 250cfm would beat the current case fans.
It's just an idea anyways, not really practical.

I'd rather have it be more portable initially until we get more settled. Could be moving soon.

I'm not too worried about the heat i'll just have to keep the tower in the coolest part of the house or infront of the AC if i want to game mid day.

Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Adding external airflow to an active cooling element won't help it until the airflow (in CFM) is winning over the airflow the cooling unit already provides. It's like if you were pushing one of those centrifuge things at a park and you attach something to help spin it. It's not going to help you spin the ride any faster, it'll just help you make it easier to spin it.

What I mean by the second statement is that flowing air does a better job at heat transfer than slower cooler air. If you were in still water at 65F, it's not going to cool you off faster than water that's flowing at 75F. Or it's like wind chill. 10F with wind can be the equivalent of -30F with no wind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Adding external airflow to an active cooling element won't help it until the airflow (in CFM) is winning over the airflow the cooling unit already provides. It's like if you were pushing one of those centrifuge things at a park and you attach something to help spin it. It's not going to help you spin the ride any faster, it'll just help you make it easier to spin it.

What I mean by the second statement is that flowing air does a better job at heat transfer than slower cooler air. If you were in still water at 65F, it's not going to cool you off faster than water that's flowing at 75F. Or it's like wind chill. 10F with wind can be the equivalent of -30F with no wind.

I already said the cold air will be moving quickly.
I understand science well...i'm really not trying to argue i just thnk we r finally on the same page.
I'm not going to decrease the amount of airflow stock computer fans would provide...that would just be silly willy.
So even just sticking with the stock airflow, throwing in cold will help. I'm assuming 250cfm is more than computer case fans provide anyways.
Maybe i am underestimating how much air a pc fan can actually move, but they r weak and can't handle much resistance. Unlike a high torque inline fan.

Until summer hits i don't have to worry about heat cause my cold room is around 30F right now with it being close to 0F outside.
Like others have said to me, computers are ment to be ran at fairly high temps anyways, but keeping it cool is an easy insurance policy.

Honestly i just like thinking outside the box and trying stuff out just to see if it works. I'm huge on experimenting but sometimes it doesn't really get you much progress, just knowledge.