Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing: worth the extra price ???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Anyone use adhesive lined heatshrink tubing??? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the added cost? Does the adhesive hold over time? Does it hold up under stress? Are there any unforseen pitfalls in using it other than the high price?

I'm looking for 3:1 or 4:1 heat shrink tubing (instead of the standard 2:1) to fit over large connectors (like SATA Power connectors for example), but still shrink down pretty tightly. I run across a site that carries 50ft & 100ft "economy" spools for $57/$76 in 3/4" (per ft pricing lower than frozencpu.com 1/2" pricing), but they also carry two professional / military grade variants...

Here's a price per foot breakdown of the three variety's in 3/4" which shrinks to 1/4" (frozencpu's 1/2" also shrinks to 1/4")
3:1 Economy Spools $1.14 @ 50ft / $0.76 @ 100ft
Professional 3:1 standard $2.97/ft ($2.12 @ 50ft or more)
Professional 3:1 Adhesive Lined $4.28/ft (no volume discount)

Obviously, there are some huge pricing differences there, & I don't see the standard professional grade as worth it for computer modding... but the heat activated adhesive lined tubing could be a different story...

Post subject: Re: Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing: worth the extra price
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The "adhesive" lined heat shrink is really designed for exterior wiring on automobiles/heavy duty trucks, where moisture, road salt spray etc can actually get into the wire splice. The lined heatshrink basically has a thin layer of hot melt glue that gets released and adds an extra sealant to the repair. For your average computer wire splice/sleeve job its way overkill, its also not very flexible. I would just use regular heat shrink. 3M makes 3:1 with out the glue, and I think there are a few other companies that do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

This is why I was asking... spend time sleeving, only to have it contract & pull away & look like crap...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That just looks like to me, that the sleeving was cut to short. I have never seen heat shrink (I almost always use 3M) shrink in length only in circumference. The sleeving will shrink and contract when heated too, keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

chaosdsm,
I have used it (clear 3:1) on a few different sleeving projects & really liked it. Like nsvander said, it does get quite hard & doesn't like to be bent!
Good Luck, Phil B.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

nsvander wrote:
That just looks like to me, that the sleeving was cut to short. I have never seen heat shrink (I almost always use 3M) shrink in length only in circumference. The sleeving will shrink and contract when heated too, keep that in mind.

Nope, just two years old & after being moved around in several different systems, it's just getting loose. When it was new, the shrink was less than 1/4 inch from the connector.

I think I'll get a 1 ft section of the adhesive line to play around with & go from there!