Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: watercooling advice please.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have decided to wc my current sstem and keep the loop when I upgrade. I figure if I do it right, only the mobo waterblock will need to be changed when I upgrade. Currently I am running an i7 950 on a rampage 3 extreme board and will have sli gtx 970s in a corsair 800d case. I am thinking I will need a single black ice Nemesis 360 and two black ice 140 radiators. The loop would go from 360 Rad to mobo then to cpu. From the CPU it would go to a 140 Rad on back of case then to gpu's. From going it would go to bottom 140 Rad then to pump and resevior. Will this be a good enough setup without having to mod the case too much?

Post subject: Re: watercooling advice please.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

From what little I do know of custom water cooling... You don't need three radiators. You should only have one radiator per independent loop. So unless you were planning on having three loops, just stick with the 360.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Will a single 360 be enough? I was always told 120 per block. Since I would have 4 blocks I would need more than a 360, but I am interested in more opinions. If one would be enough it would save money. My tdp estimation before mobo is 450 Watts. Not sure what the mobo is. Fans I will using are corsair sp120 led.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

LatiosXT, can you point us to a reference and justification for the claim that a loop shouldn't have more than one rad?

I'm curious because I'm building my first custom loop for a system that has 4 waterblocks, and in my research found some posts that state the opposite, or are inconclusive. As you suggest, the focus has been mostly on the most effective number of 120mm rads (...120, 240, 360, or 480 models) necessary for cooling performance. This video by DadMode address the question of how much benefit is gained by adding additional radiator beyond the usually recommended 1 120mm rad per cpu or gpu waterblock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm just applying some engineering intuition. A waterblocks and radiators represent resistance in the system. It's not just the fact that you're trying to force water through restricted channels, but sudden bends and twists you add to the system. Once water is in a radiator, it just basically has to flow straight through it. So I would surmise that if you had three 120mm radiators, even if you used elbow connectors to daisy chain them, they'd have more resistance than a single 360mm block simply because the water has to make more bends and turns.

If you want more radiators, you're going to have to add another pump or two to ensure the flow of water is good. In active cooling, the flow rate of the cooling medium is more important than the surface area of the heat exchanger.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Fair enough. Just curious about your frame of reference. As I build my system, I'll post in the Folding forum, unless it is more appropriate to post in this forum.

Cheers!