Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 'Printed' cases?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Any thoughts of when we might see the day where we can order custom 'printed' cases?

I was just thinking about it after reading an article about printing custom cases for OUYA consoles.

I'd love to be able to design my own custom case and have it printed without having to work with metals.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: Re: 'Printed' cases?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

As cool as it is, you'll have to deal with the fact that it'll be fragile as all hell. While I'm sure there are durable plastic materials that can be used for 3D printing, I'm also equally sure they cost an arm and a leg that would make the original Level 10 cheap by comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Oh come on, ABS isn't THAT brittle... It is, after all, what Lego bricks are made of, and is really quite impact resistant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

noghiri_x wrote:
Oh come on, ABS isn't THAT brittle... It is, after all, what Lego bricks are made of, and is really quite impact resistant.

We have 3D printers at work. They're called "rapid prototyping machines". It's fairly easy to break something made from it if you manhandle it. Also add to the fact that cases have structural imperfections (holes everywhere) and while ABS is impact resistant, how does it handle torque (i.e., screws)?

Either way, I still don't see this being a cheap venture for the end user if you want something like a unique Mid-ATX case. At least at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

LatiosXT wrote:
noghiri_x wrote:

We have 3D printers at work. They're called "rapid prototyping machines". It's fairly easy to break something made from it if you manhandle it. Also add to the fact that cases have structural imperfections (holes everywhere) and while ABS is impact resistant, how does it handle torque (i.e., screws)?

Either way, I still don't see this being a cheap venture for the end user if you want something like a unique Mid-ATX case. At least at the moment.

What sort of 3d printer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It doesn't really matter. But I guess the whole idea of "rapid prototyping" means it's a cheap piece of crap that you use to see how the product would look before making the real thing.

Either way, some things still need to be answered like how well it holds up to the other stresses in a case. Does it handle heat very well? Can you build it within a good enough tolerance? etc. etc. Ouya is easy, it's a little box. An ATX case is hard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:03 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

It might be expensive currently to do but down the road it is more feasible. I forget the name of the company but there was a company that did 3D printing and had a durable enough plastic where they made a monkey wrench as an example and were able to use it as a normal tool multiple times without it falling apart.