It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:41 pm 

Gadget wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Gadget wrote:
I can't remember the correct term, doh!
Thermal wick? I'm not sure if they had a real name or not, but that's just what they told me they were in 2M school (Navy).
Gadget wrote:
Also, I think you should just get a cheap $5 pair of wire strippers. Chumly is like super rich - like a fourth cousin of Bill or something.
Hey now, that first link is $13 which isn't bad for a snap-on tool anyone can make payments too ;) Chumly isn't super rich either, I just have a nice selection of tools over the years. The snap-on man has been good to me every where I've been. $20 or so a week and you can buy just about anything.
I just hate those $5 strippers you can get at walmart or whatever. They're usually dull, and the stripping part is in between the handles that is just plain awkward at times. I just like the little strippers like the first link above anything else. Jensen tools is a good place to order from if Radio Shack doesn't carry them.

Quote:
Most electronic stores sell small 'kits' that do various things - clocks, sounds makers, bugs, etc. They're real cheap, usually < $10, so pick up one or two of them - great practice.
Great idea! I never thought of the breadboard kits. Not only can you learn to solder, but you can make something along the way!

Maybe it is called a thermal wick - looks kind of like a roach clip that you attach to the part?

As for the wire strippers, I tend to prefer the bigger ones with thicker wires and the narrow, by-hand kind, with thinner wires.

Thermal wicking is what it does ( it may even be called that in some circles ) but it's also know as the good old heat sink. Most heat sinks are permanent fixtures as you know, but a pair or alligator clips, small vise grips, or my favourite, a pair of surgical clamps, all accomplish the same thing, they act like wicks, drawing the heat away from the component. I find that the surgical clamps are by far the best, they can clamp onto the smalest part and they're easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Battery clamps won't work? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:54 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

This is a great thread all.

I will give it some attention friday in the MRL.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I personally prefer the Ideal T-strippers to any others I have ever used. Cheap shitty strippers, or even not-so-cheap (Klein) shitty strippers flat out piss me off.:evil: Of course for occasional hobby use, a cheap pair will get you by just fine, you can always upgrade if your hobby becomes more serious.
As far as soldering, the main thing I was taught was that solder moves toward the heat, so heat the area you want the solder and let it flow toward the heat. Also, if you are connecting a fine stranded wire to a terminal, you will definitely want to "tin" the wire first. All this means is to heat the twisted together end of the wire up and apply a light coat of solder. This will prevent individual strands of wire from sticking all over the place and makes for a nice neat connection.
For the most part, the best thing you can do is to get an iron and practice it yourself. I'm not really good at it, as I rarely solder, but I get by when I have to.
I found this short guide http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/arti ... ide_1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:33 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

MantaBase wrote:

Manta

Whats That????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:43 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

gamerfreak wrote:
MantaBase wrote:

Manta

Whats That????

MRL=Modder's Resource List, a sticky thread in this folder, ironically full of tons of modder's resources. Check it out:

Modder's Resource List

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:27 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Thermal wick(actually called solder wick) is not a heat sink for components its a way of removing the solder when you are removing a part. Of coarse there is always a solder sucker for that but, that is only for big amounts. As far as the tips and irons go the one you have is probaly what you need unless you are soldering something intricate like a surface mount chip or the like. the bigger tips and higher wattage irons are for bigger parts that need that kind of heat tranfer. as far as the wire thng i'm with chumly a y connection sucks all the way around and when you are doing the inline solder i have found it helpful to untwist the wire and push the two ends together then retwist them back together. good luck!! :D