Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Paint or Bare Aluminum!? Is bare boring??
Leave it bare 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Paint it natch! 61%  61%  [ 17 ]
Leave it aluminum, but clearcoat it. Silver Server! 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

amc360 wrote:
Here's an idea, why not throw in some of both. your design would be very easy to use mostly painted with one ripped layer of aluminum still showing...
I'm actually leaning toward something like that on the top, but not really on the sides. I'm playing with photoshop to see how I can impliment a number-plate, so I'm thinking I can leave some alloy showing through. If you see the bike above, the "1" is the blue from the base coat, so I may substitute their use of blue with aluminum.

No, trying to keep it looking aluminum is my only concern. I hate to spray this clearcoat to have it etch to the metal or not stick right. The only thing I have experience with requires a primer/sealer or this clear adhesion promoter. Again, if I get the sidewindow I can experiment with the side panel.

Love the tips dudes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

amc360 wrote:
Here's an idea, why not throw in some of both. your design would be very easy to use mostly painted with one ripped layer of aluminum still showing.

you yoinked my idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:38 pm 

that's what i get for skiming instead of reading every post. I read back later and saw that sorry for it man, got ahead of myself.

Chumley, a way to keep aluminum shiny without painting it is to buff it sand it whatever to the finish you want and then apply some shoe polish/weather proofer into it with a rag, buff it in good. I've used this trick with copper and bronze sheets and the finish will last a year or so without having to be touched up. If you rub it in well enough it won't be greasy like you're probably thinking. You can always do it on a test sheet of aluminum just to check. Hope this helps and sorry for ganking the idea from the previous guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:48 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Paint it, and maybe get some custom decals to go with it. Like some of the sponsers like on the bike. But if that seems too ricey too you don't do it.

I think it would be cool and unique idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:22 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ricey? Nah...Not IMO. My only concern with the stickers (which I really want to use) is their size. The "official" stickers can take up more space than I'd want on the case. I could, however, have some made that have been scaled down.

I have a BOX full of stickers from past sponsers and parts and the smaller ones average about 4". Thank god this thing is big! I can fit 5 on there tastefully...but that's about it. We'll see! Again...another good idea:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OMG...forgot to tell about the goofy crap I'm trying out. Just to show that no idea is too goofy to ponder...

I looked at it a bit and tried to think what could bring out some more MotoGP taste than just a paint job. Just having the Repsol Paint job didn't really say that it was a motorcyle theme that I was going for unless you knew what Repsol meant to the cycle world. Anyway.

I went out, took the springs off my exhaust can, and brought the carbon Akrapovic can in to see what it'd look like mounted. "Different" was one thought. After a cool Becks, "stupid" became the correct thought :D

But it did bring up an issue I'm trying to deal with today. In one aspect, I'm going to be using water, and want as much of it possible BELOW the hardware. Following this, I'm leaning toward having the Power Supply on the bottom PS mount, so the top area may just get some small exhaust pipes...just depends on if I can find some junk caps laying around that I can chop up and TIG onto the plate somehow. May be further down the road, but everything is being considered.

The sponsers for bikes are totally rare to them alone, so it may be enough. I dunno. But Akrapovik, Factory, HRC, etc... may just scream "BIKE". Or it may just mummble.

If you haven't noticed, I'm really taking this seriously even though I goof a bit. I just have never done anything that really looked good. Most of my attention has been on the hardware and performance, and if it looked good, then it was a side-benefit and not on purpose. I really want a case that not only screams, but can proudly pearch up on my desk. And this will match my computer room decor of memoribilia and artwork I've always turned my area into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

be sure to post pics of it in progress and after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Bring on the water Chumly.. w00t

I think the Stacker is made to be dipped. so much space and so many configuration options.

Post subject: pipes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:58 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

following the idea of pipes i think itd make it look way more like a bike if you put dual exhaust type things coming out the back and then put little fans in 'em so they move air out. two little pipes on top pointing out a bit to the side would looks pretty sweet and those could be your chrome accent to the case. but again ou'd need to put PSU down low. just a thought. i'm not sure if i can get it across well in words but in my head its sweet.

Post subject: Re: pipes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:35 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

gramaton cleric wrote:
i'm not sure if i can get it across well in words but in my head its sweet.
Makes perfect sense to me! I'd love to do that, but maybe later. Reality hits me once and a while and tells me to do this type of stuff later on.

The thing that gets me to skip this for now is the fact that I'm going to have to JB weld some tips on or somthing. I can't weld the two different metals together. Don't worry, I'm an artist with JB weld;) But I'll try and think of another, more tasteful method before going that route.

The cure to all this is fabing a simple sheet of steel for that spot with holes for fans instead of using the power supply block off plate I had planed on. That way I can weld them on AND dip the entire piece to chrome it. Then the fans will remain functional.

I'm aiming now on this weekend to paint too, so ya...I'll take pictures the entire way through. I have always wanted to do a "how to" on painting cases to show how easy a good finish really is. Pricey, but easy. Maybe after this, people will start to understand why painting a case can easily cost $400 for someone to do a really good job like Smooth-creations does...none the less for a pretty basic job I'm aiming at.