Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steam Box Mod Help
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:59 am 

Hi guys. So I'm putting together a Steam Box and I was tinkering around with an idea to handle my controller syncing to the machine. I use the xbox 360 controllers with the wireless receiver found here - http://amzn.to/15TFjrR I'd like to make this an internal solution, so it dawned on me. Why not crack open a spare receiver I had and wire it to a momentary switch? Similar to this one - http://bit.ly/15HRiYJ

So I've cracked the receiver open and realized just how long it's been since high school electronics class. I'm good with a soldering iron and I've done my fair share of controller modding. I'm just one of those that needs a guide so I don't eff anything up. I haven't found similar projects online and I'm not opposed to diving back into my old text books. I just figured the gurus on here may have a bit of advice or resources that could prevent me from borking this whole thing up.

So to sum it all up. I'd like to wire the sync button to a vandal switch and light said switch (12v) by removing the smd led (assuming it's 3v) on the receiver board. I know this project is a bit "out there" but any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Steam Box Mod Help
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

What's a Steam Box?

Since I don't own consoles, how do you use that wireless receiver with the 360 controllers?

Third, why do you want to put a mom switch on the receiver?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If I understand this correctly, you want to leave the receiver in the case, but you want an external button to start up the sync.

It'd be easier to just take out the switch already there, or leave it there, but either way, wire a replacement to where the contacts are for the switch. This way you can move the switch around wherever you want in the case rather than having to attach the receiver somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 am 

phillyj wrote:
What's a Steam Box?

Since I don't own consoles, how do you use that wireless receiver with the 360 controllers?

Third, why do you want to put a mom switch on the receiver?

A Steam Box is a computer connected to a tv that can play the Steam client in big picture mode. The wireless receiver is a Microsoft product, it allows you to use Xbox 360 peripherals with your PC. The momentary switch is already on the receiver (think when you have to press the button on the Xbox to sync new controllers).

LatiosXT wrote:
If I understand this correctly, you want to leave the receiver in the case, but you want an external button to start up the sync.

It'd be easier to just take out the switch already there, or leave it there, but either way, wire a replacement to where the contacts are for the switch. This way you can move the switch around wherever you want in the case rather than having to attach the receiver somewhere.

Correct, that's what I meant in the first post. The circular button in the photo is the tactile button used to sync. The four pins are labeled "J,S,N,:" It would be easy/quick/dirty to just solder the wire at the top of the circuit board to the leads, if I knew the correct ones. I couldn't find what manufacturer/model this button is, so I'm not sure which leads to solder to. With the device so small I'd rather not guess and check, soldering everywhere.

After that it's just a matter of lighting the switch. I haven't taken a multimeter to it, I'm only assuming the smd led takes 3v. Bumping that up to around 12v for the switch would be cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh, and there's also one more problem: if this case is made out of some kind of metal, putting the receiver inside will cause your wireless range to drop like a rock (the case is basically an RF shield). You need to have a sizable area that isn't metal to place the receiver.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If they are normal pushbuttons, then I think it has 2 pairs of connected pins. So pin1=pin4, and pin2=pin3. And the switch itself is between 1,4 and 2,3. You can probably test which pins are which using your multimeter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Oh, and there's also one more problem: if this case is made out of some kind of metal, putting the receiver inside will cause your wireless range to drop like a rock (the case is basically an RF shield). You need to have a sizable area that isn't metal to place the receiver.

I was concerned about that as well. The case I'm using has enough space between the front panel and box itself that I'll be able to mount it there. Routing the cable with the case buttons and power hdd leds was no problem. I tested it with a vanilla receiver and it worked out fine.