Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Fiberglass Fix
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey guys, got some updates for you. Yes, plural, as in more than one! :) I just got back from my vacation in Hawaii, and I'm refreshed and ready to make the final push to finish this project by PDXLAN 24 in July. I returned home to a bunch of acrylic pieces waiting and ready to assemble, thanks to Brian at Primochill/ModSmart. This update will cover one of the parts I got... actually two: Fan shrouds for both sides of the 240mm radiator.

I designed a shroud that would cover both fans, and incorporate a cool flame grill for them as well. Here are the pieces for both shrouds, straight from the laser.

I took the pieces for one of the shrouds and taped them all together. As you can see, it's just a simple box.

After some aligning, I clamped them down and glued them together.

A few minutes later and I could take the tape off.

It fits snugly around both fans. Only thing I had to do was cut some notches in the bottom to clear the alu mounting posts underneath.

Now here's the coolness factor... Flame grills! Cut out of UV orange, these will be glued into the circle cutouts of the shroud. I elongated the flames so the tips extend over the edge. That way I can glue them down and they won't be prone to breaking off.

I should be able to finish these tomorrow, as well as a few more part assemblies. So I'll have another update for you then.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Fan Shrouds, among other things
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

That's pretty neat.

How much did that shroud cost to make (with shipping also)? I got a case that I want to put a flat front panel onto (thinking of a rectangle piece with a cutout for a front fan). I wonder if an acrylic front panel would be good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
That's pretty neat.

How much did that shroud cost to make (with shipping also)? I got a case that I want to put a flat front panel onto (thinking of a rectangle piece with a cutout for a front fan). I wonder if an acrylic front panel would be good.

Thanks!. My buddy laser cut these pieces for me, but you can make something like this yourself for a few bucks really. Your local hardware store would have various sizes of 1/8" acrylic sheet that you can cut with a rotary tool or a jig saw, then glue the pieces together with CA glue (cyano-acrylate) which you can find at the hobby store.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Fan shrouds part 2: Flame grill bending

I wanted to push the flame grill concept a bit further and see if I couldn't get a more realistic 3D look by adding some heat. I grabbed a bunch of dowels, some craft sticks, and my heat gun and went to work.

A lower angle shows the curves better.

It doesn't take much to get the thin licks soft. I used the craft sticks to shield the other parts I just bent from getting soft again.

After finishing all the bends, I stuck it on the shroud to see how it looked. I made sure there was enough clearance between the fan and the flames.

Looks great but I'm not done yet! Time to add a second layer...

I had a bunch more extra flames cut so I could intertwine them with the first layer. I took individual licks and bent them according to where I wanted them placed.

Here's two pieces temporarily clamped together.

This took some time, as there was a lot of trial fits and re-bending. I ended up using three separate licks (a double, and two singles) to fill in the gaps, giving it a nice random feel.

A top view shows the depth well.

I'm loving this look!

And now I get to repeat it for the other three fans on this rad, plus the 140mm fan on the rear panel. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

While I continue on the flame grill bending spree, here are a few other pieces I made up.

The EK reservoir comes with an acrylic insert with their logo, but it seemed kind of piddly inside this long tube res.

So I designed a custom insert more appropriate to this case and size of the res...

Installed...

Also made a cover for the PSU. Another simple 4-piece box with some holes in the top for cabling.

Glued, sanded, and in place...

No fasteners required! Some double-stick tape should be enough to hold it in place, along with the cables going through the holes up top.

The large holes are for the 24pin and 6pin PCI cables, while the smaller holes are positioned over the 12v power and molex cables. I'll explain my cabling scheme in more detail a bit later when I have more to show.
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Small update: Yet another mounting piece I designed and had laser-cut...

This part will be for mounting the Crucial SSD's on the back of the fiberglass panel, next to the EK res.

All pieces glued together, with the drives set in place. "Cosmos Cruizer" logo cutout in the center will have UV orange behind it.

Soon I will show how this piece will be mounted to the fiberglass panel...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Finished heat-bending all the flame grills over the weekend.

Here's one of the shrouds with the grills in place. Haven't glued them in yet.

Placed both shrouds on the 240mm rad for a look-see...

Other side...

I also made a flame grill for the back panel..

The idea is to have these grills integrated into the shrouds/panel so there will be no seams. Should look pretty cool after everything's painted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Been doing a lot of little piddly things over the last week, including some wiring, more sanding, radiator tab mounting, and remaking the rear IO panel trim piece. Yep, once again I have to re-do something I already did. This time, due to spacial concerns, I had to revise the port positioning, which meant cutting a whole new trim piece. :x

But enough of that, let's show something I did get accomplished...

I posted earlier about the SSD mounting system I came up with...

Here is the bracketry that will hold the mount to the fiberglass panel. I'm using flush-mount alan socket screws from the other side that screw into the threaded brackets.

I sanded down the mounting piece, as it will be painted to match the case.

The SSD drives are fastened on utilizing their top-face mounting holes.

A look from underneath shows the mounting screws for the SSD's.

The whole mounting assembly is screwed to the brackets via two flush mount screws on each side.

The cutout lettering in the center will have a UV orange backing, and it will be lit from inside.

Now back to the cabling debacle...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The ssd mounts are neat. I wonder if there's a market for those things

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks phillyj.

Getting all the cable routing sorted. I ran into an issue involving the cables from the power supply and the IO port cables. It seems they both want to occupy the same space. Of course I brought this on myself back when I relocated the power supply and mounted it vertically, then positioned the IO port where I thought it looked the best on the back panel, which just happened to be directly above the PSU. So now I get to figure out a way to make it work, while still looking decent.

Well, first thing I did was simplify the IO port. There were just too many things to deal with. Of course, removing things that had corresponding holes in the IO plate meant that I had to make another one with less holes. I'll show a before/after shot of the face plates later.

One of the things I omitted from the IO plate was the psu's power plug. It has a lot of wiring and electrical do-dads stuck to it that I just don't have room for. So I re-relocated it...

The power plug should be as low as possible on the back of the case anyway, so I found a suitable spot to flush-mount it into the back of the side panel.

After tracing the plug onto the panel, I cut it out and worked the edges until the plug fit nice and snug.

Then I cut a corresponding hole in the frame so all the attachments clear.

Now there's room for everything. And I can easily mount the grounding wire to the frame.

Fast forward past all the gluing, drying, bondoing, sanding, and priming...

Next up I'll show the rest of the IO cabling and the simplified plate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Not much progress over the Easter weekend since I was out of town, but here are a few pics of the cabling and new IO plate...

I got these short USB 3.0 extension cables to run from the motherboard to the back panel. But one end must be modified into an angled plug.

So the rubber casing was stripped away, exposing the wax underneath...

using my heat gun, the wax is easily melted, and becomes clear.

Then I just scraped most of it off the wiring so I could bend the USB port over creating my angle plug.

I proceeded to apply the same treatment to the other 3 USB cables, as well as two HDMI cables, and hot-glued them into place behind the back panel. Here you can also see the two DVI cables which were stripped of their gigantic white casings, and the back of the PSU power switch (top left) with extended wiring. Also hidden behind the usb cables is the ethernet adapter. I know this doesn't look pretty, but it will be all covered up in the end. :)

And here is what hopefully will be the final IO plate.

What the heck is going on here?? SSD watercooling?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

is it even necessary to WC an SSD? Mine's report a stable 30C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
is it even necessary to WC an SSD? Mine's report a stable 30C

No it's not necessary, but I imagine some ppl would do it anyways. :) What I'm actually doing is running the power cables through aluminum tubing, and using these elbow fittings to route them into the SSD mount to keep them out of sight. Going for the look of brake lines.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Wiring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Made some good headway on the PSU wiring yesterday. This being an automotive/hotrod theme, I couldn't just do normal sleeving and be ok with it. I had to go with the theme and run simulated brake lines from the PSU for all 12v accessories and motherboard power.

Using the same technique as I did with the 1/2" stainless tubing, I made templates out of soldering wire and bent the 1/4" aluminum tubing to match. These runs will carry the SATA power cables to the SSD's.

I employed 90° compression fittings to transition from the tubing into the SSD mount.

On the other end, the tubes simply fit into the PSU cover where the cables plug in. The next set of tubes will provide power for the fan controller and LCD screen on the front bezel. The tubes drop down to the floor where the wires will continue hidden underneath to the front.

This pair runs power to the led strips that will run around the inside of the frame.

These tubes are for the dual 8pin CPU power cables. Each tube will carry 4 wires, hence the need for the slightly larger 5/16" tubing. Again, 90° compression fittings are used to bring the cables through the fiberglass panel to the motherboard.

Here's an overall shot of the PSU cover with all brake line tubing installed. The open holes on the right are extras. I was going to do one more set for the pumps, but they are so close to the PSU, I will just run the wires under the floor.

Next up is the main ATX 24pin and PCI-E cables. But these won't be run in aluminum tubing, nor will they be sleeved. To give you a clue, hotrods typically have 8 cylinder engines in them, and you can see there are 8 large holes in the PSU cover... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

That's crazy :o . How are you going to pull the wires thru the aluminum tubing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
That's crazy :o . How are you going to pull the wires thru the aluminum tubing?

Each 1/4" tube will carry two wires, so it should be easy to thread them through. I will run one wire first, then tape the second wire to the first and just pull. Once through, I'll cut to length and put the connectors on.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:19 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

More odds and ends accomplished over the weekend. Some progress on the wiring, getting the spark plug wire look for the 24pin ATX and the PCI-e cables...

I threaded six wires through each 10mm UV orange hose and added spark plug boots to the ends. Straight boots for the PSU end...

...and angle boots for the other end.

Here's a shot of the wires pulled through the panel. Connectors will be added during final assembly. And I'll have some chrome eyelets installed to finish off the holes.

Will add the other four spark plug wires tonight.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:18 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I went back to your first post, because I forgot what your plan was. And guess what I noticed, it's getting close to 2 years for this mod. That's crazy. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
I went back to your first post, because I forgot what your plan was. And guess what I noticed, it's getting close to 2 years for this mod. That's crazy. :shock:

lol yep. That's why I can't just let it sit here anymore. I had to put this project on the shelf three or four times, due to commission builds that took precedence. And lately I've been turning down opportunities just so I can finally wrap this thing up. So it will be done by July, just in time for PDXLAN in Portland.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Got all eight done...

I originally had the PCIe bank routed in front of the res, but I didn't like it, so I'm toying with going in behind it. I think it looks more tidy, and it helps to hold them in place. But now they are a little too long, so I'll have to shorten them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next