Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quieting my PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:18 pm 

Hey, few questions, for starters, I have the loudest computer ever made im sure. I would like to cool it more effectively while lowering the noise. For starters, I have turned off the 40 mm high rpm fan on my video card and replaced with a silent 80mm that covers a larger area. I would like to make this thing in audible through sound proofing. Is there any generic material that is very cheap and will work while still allowing good heat dissipation? I also purchased 3 PCI slot fans all rated at 42 CFM airflow. As far as I can tell, the loudest thing is my PSU, is it probable for me to change the 80 mm fan in it to a much qiuter one without somehow killing it? My computer has a large vent at the front and the HD is also there. Should I move the hard drive to the back of the case and get rid of the vent? There is also a large vent at the back where the fans could draw fresh air from. Radioligists all know the 3 keys to safety, time, distance, shielding. Since im at the front of the case, moving all the noisy things to the back and shielding the front should theoreticlly help lower audible noise?

Also, any additional suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:36 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How big/fast is the fan on your CPU HSF and Northbridge?
Do you want to put your HDD in an enclosure?
Have you tightened all the screws in everything so there is not vibration noise?
Are the fans speed adjustable?

Replacing the fan on the videocard was a good move, now for the soundproofing material. There is some stuff out there specifically designed for computer applications but you have to buy it from god knows where, and other things work just as well. Eggcrate foam (the foam that looks like an eggcrate) is what I use and works well for everything, just jam it into small spaces and gaps and it absorbs all sorts of sound.

Next, yeah there is a way that you can swap out the PSU fan without killing it. Crack it open (DO NOT FUCKING TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT I TELL YOU BECAUSE I WON'T BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEATH) and unscrew the fan pull it out and pay attention to where its power leads are running. If it is socketed to the curcuit board, then pull it out and put in a new fan with the same socket on the leads (or solder the old socket onto the new fans power leads). If it doesn't have a socket, snip the wires and solder the wires from the new fan into the old ones. Once this is done make sure the fan is correctly oriented so it is exhausting air, then screw it back in and close everything up. Or you could skip this all and buy a new PSU.

Now, you could put an enclosure around your HDD and then it would be silent, they're only about $20 or you could make it yourself, but its a good option.

If you can, it would be a nice thing to replace all the 80MM fans in the case with speed adjustable ones so that you can turn them down and quieten them, or if you can put 120MM fans in instead, do it.

I realize I didn't organize this post at all, but I hope it answers some questions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:38 pm 

My CPU cools by using a wind tunnel principal, which also exhausts hot air directly from the CPU cooling fins to the outside of the case via a very noisy 120mm fan. my 80mm on my video card now is completely silent. and how much temperature wise will sound deadening material affect temperature? As I routinely used to put a blanke over my computer at night to silent it, awaking in the morning to a case you could almost fry eggs on ;) Thanks alot for the input, has so far proved very valuable. The front of my case also rattles alot(plastic snap together assembly.) I relly have no way of montitering temperature in my computer and am thus oblivious to the affects that certain modifications may or may not cause to my computer. I will do the sound deadening right now, and get right back to you. I think that im going to use bubble wrap, let you know how it turns out. Now I know why silent cases always have hinged doors for the cd drives, as they are very noisy and very hard to deaden.

Thanks,

- Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:21 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

For the optical drives you could use an application like Neros DriveSpeed to turn down the max. speed it spins the disc at, thus making them quieter.

As for monitoring temps. if you have an Asus mobo you should download Asus PCProbe because it will take advantage of all their monitors. Otherwise, get a utility like Motherboard Monitor.

I don't know how bubble wrap will work, but try and see. I use foam all the time as it is easy to come by, got old furniture? Slice it open and pull out a few squares :)

For the front panel.. Well you could do anything, glue or tape. But I would recommend just finding a spot where the plastic is thick enough that you can drill a whole in an secure it to the case with a few screws. or you could jam some foam in where its vibrating and stop it that way!

If you want to spend some money, you could go to Newegg and buy a hard drive enclosure which will almost completely silence your HDD as it is just a box for it pretty much :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:49 pm 

Well, I rarely use my burner and cd drive, and so I guess I can live with the occasional annoyance. I generally install and just download a patch to use withou the cd. Is it a bad thing to isolate the hard drive so much that it doesn't dissipate heat? What considerations should be taken into account when designing a custom built HD Case? Bubble wrap seems to work very well as an insulater and is very light, so I would recomend it. Once I swap the PSU fan, it should be whisper quiet!

- Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well, the manufactured HDD cases sold by companies are just a metal box. It's pretty much just an aluminum or copper case with a removeable top and two slots for the cables to go out of. Really though, they could be made of anything: wood, steel plastic... Just make sure that the drive is securely attached to the bottom, and to cut out vibrations you could use rubber grommets between the bottom of the case and drive. I've never heard of any problems regarding HDD cases and heat, not to say they don't exist though, use your discretion. 'Tis a problem that may require more research :)

This place sells an enclosure called the Smart Drive 2002 which has been used in MPC in the past, if you are looking to buy or at what they are, its there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:08 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Another link: These people sell sound deadening material specifically manufactured for PCs. (Edit: search for Paxmate on their site, or go to Accessories, couldn't provide a direct link because... Well you'll see why)

Glad to hear the bubble wrap experiment worked out!