Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Papst 3412/2 Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hello all you pro modders. I have reciently acquired some very nice fans for a song & I want to put em in my case.. I have a Coolermaster Praetorian Mid Tower that came with 4 80mm CM Fans. 2 intakes in frount & 1 exhaust in back & 1 on top. The case has a good field of flow but i want to improve it, the fans i got are a bit bigger but have wonderful flow rate & sound rating. I think that the top fan will be very simple to change out as there is plenty of room there. The frount fans should not be too bad either a bit tight but looks to be doable. the problem is the rear fan. The 80mm fan that is already there pretty much fills the available space on the pull out tray & due to the shape of the tray I am not sure i can fit it in any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the Fans stats are:
PAPST DC FAN
Model 3412 / 2
DC fans with electronically commutated external rotor motors. Fully integrated commutation electronics.
With electronic protection against reversepolarity, blocking and overloading; partially impedance protected.
Fan of fibreglass reinforced plastic. PBTP housing, PA impeller.
Air exhaust over struts. Rotational direction CCW looking at rotor.
Electrical connection via leads AWG 24, TR 64. Stripped and tinned ends
Mass 100 g.
Technical specifications
Patch cord 3-pin board
AC/DC DC
Dimension A 92 mm
Dimension B 25 mm
Dimension C 82.5 mm
Tachosignal Yes
Bearings ball bearing
Nominal voltage 12 VDC
Noise 36 dB(A)
Power input 2,4 W
Nominal speed 3050 min-1
Air flow 84 m3/h
Weight 100 gr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

looks like you got a pretty nice fan set up already, and that fan you picked up is pretty nice too. but if ya wanna fit a 92mmx83mm(lets just round up) fan in there, you may have an issue with it fitting in the available space. (I'm assuming were on the same page) If you want/need it in the back of the case, but don't have a wide enough case or fan slot, you could
A: Dremel out the fan grill so it fits
or B: If the above won't work, you could put a tunnel of some sort on it and mount it farther inside the case where you have more room.
liek so (sorta)

you could prolly use screws or somethin similar for the supports. you may have to make your own holes though, but thats no big deal.

keep in mind that your post was a little confusing to us non-morning people like me, so if I'm way off topic, my bad...my bad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
A: Dremel out the fan grill so it fits
or B: If the above won't work, you could put a tunnel of some sort on it and mount it farther inside the case where you have more room.
liek so (sorta)
you could prolly use screws or somethin similar for the supports. you may have to make your own holes though, but thats no big deal.

Yes your plan B might work as there is no room to cut a larger hole & I am not sure if i can even drill more holes as the pull out mobo tray really limits my room to work here.
As you can see the right side of the current 80mm fan is almost touching the side panel as it is & the left side almost imediately breaks off at a 90 angle & I don't want to lose the fuctionality of the pull out tray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'd say either use my plan B, or you could just put the fan(s) somewhere else. the fan set up you have right now seems perfectly fine unless you are modestly overclocking your rig. i would look for another place to snug those fans in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

A bit of a stretch here, but it may work:
80mm fan duct + 80->92mm adapter. That's about $20 worth of products though. I'd like to think of some home-brewed cure here and save the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That looks like it would work I take it you would use the duct to move it away from the mobo tray then flip the 92-80mm adapter backwards & attach it to the duct.. Looks like it would work & look fairly nice too.. I got some modded 80mm fans for the frount & upper exhaust because the coolermaster has freaking 1/4 rails for the fans to sit on that go right where i would have need to drill for new holes on those but I installed one papst on my brothers pc he already had a 92mm exhuast fan & the one dropped his case temps by an astounding 17C!! So I am thinking that the one on the back would be enough with the new 80mm fans to get some good air loving. the 80mm fans I bought at the compuse midnight maddness sell for $8.99 each MD-TTF-8025A-2B
never heard of these guys before but it basically a modded thermaltake fan.