Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mod Fest
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:55 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/modfest2004/

Some of these really aren't that good, and only one case was built from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:38 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

yeeyah.../me=not too damned impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:53 am 
Willamette
Willamette

some are pretty nice, but others are just lights, fans, and fake window etching

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 pm 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

You won't see me with a freakin' Barbie in MY case... :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Clock2theMax wrote:
You won't see me with a freakin' Barbie in MY case... :lol: :roll:

http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/mod ... barbie.jpg

Ahhhh! Were they going for the "nVidia-fairy-trapped-in-an-atomic-glitter-stone" theme!? None the less...can you imagine what would happen if you bumped it and the fan sucked that glitter in!!? Hilarity ensues...

Now, Toby Waters' rig looks pretty neato!
http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/mod ... meter1.jpg

And this one is just plain scary. Must be the next Honda ASIMO:
http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/mod ... ug_jnr.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:18 pm 

some of their work was decent. Atleast it wasn't sloppy. But some of those first watercooled cases with the huge radiators out back are just nasty. How were those even allowed into the building. I respect watercooling, I do it myself, but there are ways to make it look decent and then there are those pictured on that page. Atleast build a housing and if the radiator fins are all bent and dented it's time to get a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:15 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

amc360 wrote:
some of their work was decent. Atleast it wasn't sloppy. But some of those first watercooled cases with the huge radiators out back are just nasty. How were those even allowed into the building. I respect watercooling, I do it myself, but there are ways to make it look decent and then there are those pictured on that page. Atleast build a housing and if the radiator fins are all bent and dented it's time to get a new one.

where do you put your radiator? most do not fit within the case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:01 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

BiggPa wrote:

On my CMstacker case, I have the DD BlackIce Extreme mounted in the rear 120mm outlet. In my Cheiftec Dragon, I have a dual 120mm DD Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator. Both just bolted right in, no problems.

And anyone with a Chieftec type case can get an entire kit that mounts in the front-base area from Innovatek. Not a bad little unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:17 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

BiggPa wrote:
amc360 wrote:

You either mod the case so it fits, or you get a case that will fit everything and still have space to rent like mine lol :)

http://s92438186.onlinehome.us/gallery/duallieH2O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:11 pm 

well I have a "custom" built case. It's an old foot locker I had laying around, one of those cheap plywood ones. I have plenty of space to have mine internal. But for those that dont' and especially for those entering mod contests you should really clean up the look. One of those radiators looks like it's been dropped a few times with all kinds of bent fins, this not only looks ugly, it reduces the performance of the radiator. I'd suggest if you have to have one on the outside to build a housing for it. you can vent the sides and top to let heat out and leave the back open so you still get the same airflow and it cleans up the look and makes it look complete. It's the same if you were to mount a fan on the side of your case and just leave it hanging out, or to route wires on the outsied of your case. The design schemes of those two computers I pointed out were not aided by the radiator being visible. In fact the one with the larger radiator looked like they made an effort in trying to get the radiator to fit in by building a stand but still left it out. This is a mod contest afterall and the design and skills of the modder are on showcase. If that was a personal pc at home running that setup that was utilitarian and only meant to cool, that's fine, it looks like an awesome system for that. It just looks incomplete or out of place and in a mod contest I don't think that belongs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:14 pm 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

Quote:
Now, Toby Waters' rig looks pretty neato!
http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/mod ... meter1.jpg

I used a voltmeter similar to that in HS...lol, he did quite a job squeezin everything in there... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:06 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Some of those are pretty cool - but case modding is so yesterday. Why doesn't someone create a solar laptop, a radio with ethernet or something original and/or usefull like Manta's web cam mod!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Gadget wrote:
Some of those are pretty cool - but case modding is so yesterday. Why doesn't someone create a solar laptop, a radio with ethernet or something original and/or usefull like Manta's web cam mod!!!!

And hopping up cars is so yesterday, but it is still enjoyable for some. Your ideas would be cool if I had the know-how.

BTW radios already have ethernet. You just have to buy the Uber$$ models. What I want is one with WI-FI and be within my budget :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

IamDeMan wrote:
Gadget wrote:

And hopping up cars is so yesterday, but it is still enjoyable for some. Your ideas would be cool if I had the know-how.

BTW radios already have ethernet. You just have to buy the Uber$$ models. What I want is one with WI-FI and be within my budget :P

You'll only gain the know-how by trying! I'm just getting tired of seeing oozing green snot coming out of cases when there are so many other projects that people could be working on.

I have one of the Rio mp3 stereo type devices (not the walkman mp3 players), which I picked up for $30 when they discontinued them. Sometimes this is the best way to buy technology. It is pretty cool... :)

Now I need to get my two wifi routers to bridge. Argh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:58 pm 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

BiggPa wrote:

I have a radiator INSIDE a Shuttle XPC case ... if it will fit in one of those it will fit in anything. Fully water cooled system too, Proc, GPU, Chipset and HD waterblock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Obsidian wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

I have a radiator INSIDE a Shuttle XPC case ... if it will fit in one of those it will fit in anything. Fully water cooled system too, Proc, GPU, Chipset and HD waterblock

You must have the densest computer ever... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:15 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Gadget wrote:
You'll only gain the know-how by trying! I'm just getting tired of seeing oozing green snot coming out of cases when there are so many other projects that people could be working on.

I have one of the Rio mp3 stereo type devices (not the walkman mp3 players), which I picked up for $30 when they discontinued them. Sometimes this is the best way to buy technology. It is pretty cool... :)

Now I need to get my two wifi routers to bridge. Argh.

Well it may be getting old, but it still looks a hell of alot better than a biege case :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:32 am 

Gadget wrote:
You must have the densest computer ever... :)

It's certainly not a lightweight system. I think it must weigh around 30 to 35 pounds. And there isn't much room inside the thing either.

Top Down
Graphics Card Side Before Completion
Other Side View Before It's together
Hard Drive Water Block
Water Reservoir

I've since cleaned up a lot of the fabrication and created another custom reservoir and mounted a Matrix Orbital in the front of the unit. I should take some pics since I've done all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:06 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I just went the easy route and made my watercooling external on my shuttle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:58 pm 

Ther's always a lot of discussion about case mods and I'm for it but I haven't seen much in the way of desktop mods. Hear is an example. It's not mine but it's really well done. Here it isin a very large picture along with others.