Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mirage paint?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:15 pm 

Has anyone tried the Mirage paint from Plasti-Kote(I think)?
Are they hard to apply? How much paint do I need for a PC case? And other things I should be aware of when using it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:20 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's pretty much the same as any other type of aerosol paint basically. Oh, and it's Dupli-Color BTW.

They come in kits with a black base, the color, and the clear. You do the normal prep, primer (use the basic grey primer..two cans is more than enough), then lay on the black for a good base. If you don't use the base, then you can see through the color and it just doesn't turn out right and you don't get the effect.

Lay on 2 thin coats of the black until it's covered all over. Don't go thick here, or anywhere else. Give about 20 minutes between each and every coat. Then, lay on 4 coats of the color you picked out. Once that's done, lay on the clear. On the first clear, again...I'd go light. Then on the second one you may want to go a little heavy. JUST a little though.

Once you let it set for a day or two, you can buff it up with compound and make it really shine up.

If you go thick at any given time, you'll get a blotchy mess. You don't want that.

Post subject: Re: Mirage paint?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:08 pm 

RusMan wrote:
Has anyone tried the Mirage paint from Plasti-Kote(I think)?
Are they hard to apply? How much paint do I need for a PC case? And other things I should be aware of when using it :lol:

I got my midtower and a few test pieces done with one kit. Most people have reported to me that it took them more than one kit.

Chumly gave you solid application advice. I'll just add don't sand the middle coat at all.

The color shift effect may disappoint you--you get color A when the light source is in line with your view angle, and color B when the light is opposite your viewing angle. If your workpiece has compound curves, it will show off the effect pretty nicely, but most cases don't. So in a typical setting where the light isn't changing, the effect isn't a real knockout.

http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000080.php

It's hard to photograph too. All the flash shots came out purple, with no gold--I had to go outside and shoot in natural light to get any gold to show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:20 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Sounds like pearl paint jobs, so that's the only way I can relate with the mirage stuff. I applied a pearl clearcoat on a bike, and I had to keep taking it out into the full sunlight to see if it was over or under applied.

It's pretty to mix too! SBC sucks due to no real FTP, but here's some movies I like:
Pearl Mixing
Metalic Mixing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 pm 

Thanks for the tips, you've been a lot of help :D .

Those links for the movies don't work

I'm still in doubt if I should paint my computer(it's actually my old one which my bro gave to me and I gave it to my younger bro), no one in my family family approves it, my older brother thinks that it's stupid, but I guess I'll do it and when they see it finished they'll like it.