Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for a small Slug Splitter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:48 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey all, I have a GreenLee hydraulic slug-splitter in the shop and it comes in handy all of the time. Is there something like these in a smaller and cheaper variaties for the other modders can use them?

It's just a hole press really. You drill a hole, put the slug backing on, feed the center bit through the hole, the screw on the cutting bit. You jack the ram and it pulls the cutter through metal and makes sweet holes. I can make holes from 1/2" to 2-3/8", and I have an extra bit just for big 3-1/8 holes for an exhaust job I did and thought it'd be nice to have...and that's about 80mm BTW.

Anyway, I've yet to see something like this out there that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Have you??? There's not a project that I don't drag that oily beast out for. It's fun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I think most Home Depot stores carry ratchet knockout kits, which are a lot cheaper than the hydraulic sets. They use the same knockout punches, but you use a wrench or ratchet to draw the cutting punch down on the threads. They also sell them in individual sizes for 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 3/8. I don't know how good the ratchet would work on large sizes though, it's kind of tough to turn even on the smaller sizes. I guess it depends on what material and how thick it is, aluminum would knock out pretty easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

EvilJeff wrote:
I think most Home Depot stores carry ratchet knockout kits, which are a lot cheaper than the hydraulic sets. They use the same knockout punches, but you use a wrench or ratchet to draw the cutting punch down on the threads. They also sell them in individual sizes for 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 3/8. I don't know how good the ratchet would work on large sizes though, it's kind of tough to turn even on the smaller sizes. I guess it depends on what material and how thick it is, aluminum would knock out pretty easy.

We have one where I work, just use an adjustable wrench to turn it. It was easy enough on sizes 1" to 1 3/4" but wouldn't want to use it for large things unless you had a wrench with a long handle (foot and a half or so)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thanks dudes! I was just thinking of regular thin metal like in cases and whatever. I'd also like to have one just to throw in my toolbox for the 1/2" and 9/16" holes I seem to be doing quite frequently it seems and not break out the huge boxes and lug 'em around.

I'll head on down tomarrow to Home Depot and Lowe's and see what I can dig up.

(No, I don't think I'd want one for 80mm, but I'll still price 'em out to see if it's a valid purchase...or if they even carry them locally)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:32 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'll see if I can post some pictures of ours sometime this week, its nice and small compared to the huge GreenLee unit that sits around (don't often bother with it anymore) and it works really well too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I know what you mean, those Greenlee hydraulic KO sets are pretty damn heavy to lug around, especially if you get a set that goes up to 4" conduit (4 1/2"). They are a hell of a nice tool to have though, I wish I had one of my own. The cost is so high, though, I can't justify buying one for personal use, if I need one for a little hobby project I'll just borrow one from work.
Check around on Ebay, there are always a bunch of knockout punches for sale there when I've looked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:58 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

On eBay, people selling them know what they're worth :D

I got mine at an actual auction in Kansas. It was a grab-all box with other stuff in it that I wanted too. I took it up to $380 and the box was mine. The punches were brand new and still had the thick parafin stuff on them. The pump was pretty used though, and needed a little rebuild to keep it from leaking so bad.

Great steal, and I love those auctions just for stuff like that. The auctioneer announced it as "electrical tools and what-not". The town electrician noticed it first and kinda said he already had one and he wouldn't bid against me. Some other guy wanted all the conduit boxes in the crate, and I said during the bids that "I'll give 'em to ya...just stop bidding!". Everyone chuckled and he followed through. I guess those circuit breaker boxes are pretty high dollar. He said I saved him $400 and that I lost on the deal. But as long as I drug that thing home, I more than made out. He thought it was just an enerpac I guess.