Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: anybody ever used a slocket?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:55 pm 

I am about to inherit a vintage socket 370 Asus Black Pearl mobo. I would like to build a nice P3 rig off of the board but I have the CU not the TU, fcpga not fcpga2 so I can't run the 1.4 tualatin I want. I have found a pin adapter to make that happen though but I am worried about it's stability. I plan to slap a water cooling block and possibly a Peltier cooler on it and overclock it as much as I can and I need to know the slocket will not present a weak link. If it would I'll throw a coppermine in there instead and throttle it up as much as possible.

p.s. please spare me any "why are you wasting your time", "get a P4" etc remarks. I do what I do because it entertains me. Wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've seen slot-to-socket, but not socket-to-slot. What one did you find?

Oh, wait...that's not a Slocket you're talking about really, just a fcpga to fcpga2 adapter. I don't know what they'd be called, but a slocket it's not. IMO, the Powerleap and Evercool are the only ones to consider. I've used a Powerleap for a Slocket, but never needed one for socket-to-socket2 so I don't know first hand. But, they work as advertised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:07 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i dunno, your motherboard might not be compatable with that proc. id look at the mobo specs first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:36 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Chumly wrote:

Oh, wait...that's not a Slocket you're talking about really, just a fcpga to fcpga2 adapter. I don't know what they'd be called, but a slocket it's not. IMO, the Powerleap and Evercool are the only ones to consider. I've used a Powerleap for a Slocket, but never needed one for socket-to-socket2 so I don't know first hand. But, they work as advertised.
a slocket is to allow you to plug socketed chips into a slotted motherboard. Powerleap, Evergreen, and a few others made them for both the Pentium III and Athlon back in the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:36 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

athlon11 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

a slocket is to allow you to plug socketed chips into a slotted motherboard. Powerleap, Evergreen, and a few others made them for both the Pentium III and Athlon back in the day.

I, too, have seen and used them, they were a good idea. It pretty much looked like a socket soldered to a vertical PCB that gets inserted into the Slot 1 slot. Worked well enough I guess, though you'd be pretty hard pressed to find one nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:49 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, but I have no idea on a socket-to-socket. Mind if I get this moved to the hardware folder for better assistance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:19 pm 

I initially asked in the hardware forum, I got more posts here though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, I just passed by that thread a little while ago and saw it. Pretty odd that a lot of folks haven't used one. I guess that kinda shows that MPC forum members are pretty new to the hobby, because a lot of folks used these things about 3 years ago.

Gotta link to the one you're looking at? I'd like to look over it. They do their job perfectly I feel. They support the new voltages and multipliers fine and there's no real downside that I know of. I used the Power Leap in a Slot1 board so I could use the 1G that came out, but I wanted to keep my board at that time. I was building an AMD dually at the time and wanted to focus on that more than anything else. I think it cost me $54 at the time, but they should be much cheaper now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:53 pm 

This one

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/prod ... /370gu.htm

In a reveiw I read they didn't even have a socket 370 test mobo, they plugged a socket 1-socket 370 adaptor into the board then this one into the previous one then the processor. I wonder what kind of creative bracketry was required to attach the heatsink to that stack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:05 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

themadscientist wrote:
This one

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/prod ... /370gu.htm

In a reveiw I read they didn't even have a socket 370 test mobo, they plugged a socket 1-socket 370 adaptor into the board then this one into the previous one then the processor. I wonder what kind of creative bracketry was required to attach the heatsink to that stack.

heh, you should see mine in a P3V4X:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I've use both slockets ans socket adapters and there are two things to keep in mind.

1. Use their heatsink if at all possible. A standar cooler will not work due to the thickness the adapter adds.

2. If you must use a after-market cooler, be sure to keep the weight down to a minimum and make sure the cooler has the ability to adjust for the thickness of the adapter. A heavy cooler may damage the socket or adapter.