Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UV Cold Cathode Light Not Very Bright
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I ordered and received a set of UV cold cathode lights from http://www.xoxide.com/cooler-master-aurora-uv.html and installed them in my computer. When I turn them on they just don't seem to be very bright at all. In fact, I can barely even tell that they are turned on. They put out a tiny amount of light and don't even light up my UV reactive IDE cables.

Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be a power issue? Maybe a bad inverter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

This seems to be a very common problem. We've recently discussed this in another thread, and I've come to the conclusion that Cold Cathodes do not put out the right wavelength of UV to do much good. Nor do LED's for that matter.

The best bet may be a real black light, but that usually takes 110V on a flourescent fixture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i have a set of uv cathode tubes that work fine. every uv reactive part i have, the mobo connectors, the molex connectors, fans, round cables, they all glow bright. i think it may just be the brand that you get. unfortunately i cant remember for the life of me who makes the tubes i have. i checked on the tubes and on the inverter box and there is nothing to tell me who makes it. all i remember is that i bought them in august of last year at frys in wilsonville. give me a while and i may be able to find the reciept. i generally hold on to those.

EDIT:

I found the reciept but it was from a day when the stores in house sales server went down, and the handwriting is very hard to read. all it says about the tubes is "3813662 Cold" and the price. sorry i couldnt have been of more help on the maker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The ones I bought are Cooler Master UV Ultra Aurora Cold Cathode (Dual Kit). I am thinking maybe the casue of the loss of light would probably have to do with the blue led fan that I have on the window. Maybe the blue LED is too bright for the UV to show up. I am going to get rid of the LED fans. Do you know of any clear and silent 80mm fans that I can get ahold of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:34 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You can clip the wires in your Blue LED fan so that they don't come on. The red and black wires make the fan go roundy round, while there may be an extra set running with them that go to the LED's. My Antec's have a band around them that make the LED's light up, so I could just clip that in two.

That green thing is the LED power band I'm talking about. If I clip it, the lights don't come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks a lot. I will give that a try. I figured I could do that in the first place. I just thought that my fans were a little loud so I was going to try to find some that are a little more quiet. I do have a fan controller though. When I turn the fans down to make them quieter of course the CPU gets hotter and that just makes my CPU fan spin faster and it gets louder. So my next project is to get a quieter CPU cooler.