Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A question about painting my pc case
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:33 pm 

After I read the MaximumPC tutorial this month on painting a case, I really want to do it and I did some more research on that. And I found some more tuts online and most of them say that I should use the rubbing compound after the paint and not after the clear coat, like it says in mpc. So my question is when should I use before applying the clear coat or after?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

After. And be sure to give your paint time to cure. That is on the label of the can. It could be just a couple days or as much as a month.

Grump
TheMadModder.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

how can you tell that the paint is cured? just by what it says on the can?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What it suggests on the can is based on optimum conditions -- room temperatures, low humidity. If the can says 3 days, it should be fine in 3 days if kept indoors for that period of time. In most parts of the Northern Hemisphere, it's Winter. If your painted object is left in the cold or moist air (or both), you can't expect it to cure very well.

If you follow the directions on the can, you should be fine. It should answer most all your questions.

Grump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

coo coo, do you prefer rattle cans? I know Chumly prefers automotive spraying, but I think rattle cans have poor quality. That could be user error though, I've always sucked at spray painting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I did a great deal of the painting of my first mod with this:

But then I graduated to this:

I much prefer a professional spray system to rattle cans, but I have seen some modders get very impressive, even professional looking results from a can.

The rattle cans above are custom mixed, which you can get from most pro paint suppliers. I found that by slightly heating them in warm water, the spray pressure and flow was much better.

Grump
TheMadModder.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Good tips, Grump. Uneven mixing, trying to put coats on too heavy, inadequate surface prep, and temps that are too low are the biggest problems for most painting that a hobbyist would do. At least from my somewhat limited experience and knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

hey here in portland we have been getting some strange weather, one day is 70 degrees and sunny, the next is 40 and with wind and rain. is it at all possible to use something like a space heater or a propane heater to keep a warmer more constant temp, would this hurt the curing of the paint at all? I thought i had heard sometime that too fast of a drying would ruin curing. is that true?

Thanks
-Shinekaze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have "baked" painted goods in an oven before (200° F. or less). However, I wouldn't use a space heater because they put too much moisture in the air. Can't you bring it inside?

Grump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Grump wrote:
But then I graduated to this:
I have that exact same gun Grump! It's a SATA knock-off that I mentioned in the tutorial. I can't find the booklet to get the model number, but that's a FINE gun for under $125.

Oh...found it. Is that the FR-906? I can't read German, but it says "Bediecungsanleitung" as the title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:06 pm 

OK, thanks for replys.
Now I just need to choose the color and find some time, really busy at work, working 11-12hrs/day :x , hopefully I'll have a day off on saturday so I can start prepping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

you mean as into the garage? becuase in our garage the temp is usually about the same as the outside air. *mutters* stupid crappy uninsulated garage. or if you mean bring the painted parts inside the house, i couldnt my parents would flip. they already get on my case about food on the carpet. i dont think it'd fly. worth a try but prolly wouldnt happen. in any case, i thank you for the info on the space heaters. i may just have to wait for late spring or early summer before i paint. thanks again.

-Shinekaze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Shinekaze wrote:
you mean as into the garage? becuase in our garage the temp is usually about the same as the outside air. *mutters* stupid crappy uninsulated garage. or if you mean bring the painted parts inside the house, i couldnt my parents would flip. they already get on my case about food on the carpet. i dont think it'd fly. worth a try but prolly wouldnt happen. in any case, i thank you for the info on the space heaters. i may just have to wait for late spring or early summer before i paint. thanks again.

-Shinekaze

I thought you would know "room temp" refers to a room inside, not a garage. Perhaps that is too strict a term anyway. You could shoot for a space that has a temperature not less than 60° F. You could use the garage if you rigged up a kind of tent from tarps and put a couple 100W lamps in there with the painted parts.

As for your parents, I am sympathetic with them. I'm 55, have worked my whole life for what little I have and can't stand it when someone shows so little respect for that. If you have had the bad habit of being careless with your food and other things that tend to negate the pride your parents have in their home, of course they will not let you let your paint cure in the house.

Paint stinks anyway and prob'ly isn't good to breathe the fumes. But try to use some ingenuity and figure out a way to paint and cure the parts in a responsible way. If your space is too cold or damp to cure paint in, then it's not suitable for painting it either. Of course, if you take the time to read the directions on the paint can like I suggested, you will know this already.

Grump
TheMadModder.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Grump wrote:
Paint stinks anyway and prob'ly isn't good to breathe the fumes.
It stinks!? That is a lovely smell, thank you.

Adn wat id rong with da fumes&+ To toss pickles against the wall, that's regreatable...My spoooons too big! Bluggle snarf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

actually i hadnt gotten around to getting the paint yet. i had wanted to find out the feasibility of a space heater before i started to paint. i didnt want to risk starting a paint job on a case that'd only wind up needing to be sanded away due to a sudden drop in temp or something of the sort. i had read some directions in passing on the back of a rattlecan when i was at home depot trying to find a valve for my brother's sprinkler system. I just wanted to make sure that i wouldnt be wasting time and resources by screwing up on a paint job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:10 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think you can get by with a space heater, even though they're pretty dangerous. IF you can let it run long enough to get it over all comfortable in the garage, then it's the same IMO. Just don't let it radiate onto your parts and all that, just get the room up to a decent temperature...then it's pretty much at "room temperature".

Just keep in mind that you should have your parts in there warming with the room as well. And when you go to spray, go slow as to not fill the air with fumes with that space heater around. Not that you'll go boom, but it can still ignite and get a mean fire trail going somewhere.

I say that, because the garage we had growing up had a forced air heater hanging up front over the bench. It blew into the main shop floor when it was on and it was a heat monster. But it had a pilot light on the bottom behind a door. Well, Dad had been mixing his stuff for years, and I have no idea why he'd never had this happen...but...I had a can of Laquer Thinner open on the bench about 15ft from the furnace, and all it once a trial just lit up in the air and took some hair off my arm. Scary stuff for a stupid 15yo kid I tell ya. I watched too much TV or something, but backflash went through my head real quick and I just waited to blow up there for a second. Anyway, Safety Chum signing off with another "don't do this" episode for now!