Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Air Flow question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:40 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok so i am wondering if i can have some comments back on this one. I have 480mm fans and two 120mm fans one is in the psu itself. Also a venus12 heatsink which sucks air in it seems. Here is how the air flows as of now in this included pictures. Please let me know what you guys would suggest be the proper way to put these fans in and why.

[img][img]http://img185.exs.cx/img185/2645/airflow9yx.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

that is 4 80mm fans, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

basicly how thats setup, i have this exact case in black, the 2 80mm fans in front blowing in, the 80 mm fan on top blowing up (because heat rises), the 80 mm fan blowing in (onto the processor), and the 120 blowing out basicly blowing out hot air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:20 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i always have my PSU exhausting air out of the case sucking air AWAY from the cpu. its naturally the best thing to do. all the hot air getting pushed out of the bottom of your heatsink will rise an inche to the psu and you can either remove it form the case or blow the hot air back onto the cpu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thank you both for your replies:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:16 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Check your temps first.

Then flip the fan you have on the window (side). Check your temps again.

You may find it runs cooler (or not).

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:00 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Dudes are right on here. The PS fan on the bottom sucks into the ps, and out the back. That's the way I thought they all came without modifying. Anyway, that's a good method there.

And side window fans can differ from case to case...PUN! I've found that I do better even with one blowing in on a Chieftec Dragon, but it does nothing at all even having one on a stacker w/ crossflow. You can only put so much in, ya know?

I'd say the key part there is the 120 on the rear. All the rest in there can work less if you have one good 120mm in the back pushing it all out. I like the Panaflo's, and you can get one that does 84CFM at 35dB (I think it's more quiet than that). This way, all the little 80's work less and just have to motivate the air, and not really force it. Give it a path, and it'll flow.

The blow hole is important, but the amount really doesn't matter to me. As long as it gets rid of the stalled pocket up there, it's fine IMO. My PS has an 80mm right there sucking in, and I've noticed cooler air coming out of the PS's exit. The Dragon has an Antec with no blow hole and a fan on the bottom of the PS. The exiting air is pretty warm as it's pulling both duties. Still, it's stable and in that setup, works fine.

I hate fans BTW. The less, the better. A really clean case is way more important than fans. Fans cover up problems more than cure them in my theories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:57 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The best heat exchange method is a fast, steady flow, of ambient air in a path of least resistance. Modify, check temp...modify check temp.

cutting away the metal grille will produce favorable results
In the same token, mounting your Windows hard drive behind these fans will increase system stability.

Bear in mind that as you add a slew of fans to your system's power supply you are also creating more heat within the enclosure. The top rear corner of your case where the PSU sits will be the hottest point.

Visualize that a 250 watt power supply under full load produces the same amount of heat as a 250 watt Halogen lamp. With that running inside a "clean case" and no form of air circulation, the heat is still there, rapidly increasing, until something gives.

So, in essence, fans are equally important... :idea: overdoing it, and leaving PSU inside the case will cause undesirable results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

man, i got no idea how u got somthing like that,

cuz this is what i got :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:16 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Simpson5774 wrote:
man, i got no idea how u got somthing like that,

cuz this is what i got :twisted:

I did mine yesterday with a Dremel tool, using the cut-off wheel, and pen type, flex shaft attachment.

Your holes don't appear to be oversized and still can be made perfect.

For aluminum material i'd go with a knockout punch, which can purchased at Home Depot. If you can't find one there, bring it to a metal fabrication shop and see if they can re-punch the holes for you. It will take less than a minute a piece, and should come out looking better than mine.

Or, kick back and file it down. Take your time, it will eventually come out right. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:33 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i did mine wit a drill, a metal grinding tool and and bending :D, being i dont have a grinder cutoff peice for my knockoff dremmel, and was too lazy to get one, it acualy looks better than that now, but still not presice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

With those "grills", I too would knock them out! Man, what do they expect to get through there!? I heard you all mention knocking them out, but never really paid attention to the before and kinda passed it off. I bet that really increased the flow!

I just hadn't seen something so restrictive. My cases have really good openings, and I guess I've been spoiled. Even my "crap case" (dragon) has big waffle holes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks again all of you. I really appreciate all of your input. :D