Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help with coils
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 pm 

Hey I am planning on working a project that I had drawings sitting in the closet for too long. I would like to know if any of you know how to determine a app. size of a torsion spring (i.e. PSI, rotation, thickness of the wire, and what type of wire I should use). this is not going into anything electrical; only mechanical. for those who may think i am trying to build a better mouse trap, the answer is no. so any help and suggestions would be awesome.

Post subject: Re: help with coils
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

To be completely honest you've given absolutely no useful information in this post to enable anyone to answer you with any measure of accuracy. I'm not certain that you can either, at least not without revealing the product of your mad scientist type aspirations.

What you are asking requires specific calculations based on principles of Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, and Algebra (possibly Trigonometry also since I'm not sure what you're looking for). If you plan on conquering these yourself you should at least be quite proficient in Calculus and have some background in Calculus based Physics.

Can you offer any details at all? What measure of energy is required to perform the work you seek? Is there a distance that needs to be observed? Is there a specific velocity that needs to be achieved, or a measurable pressure that needs to be applied by this spring? Is it a question of angular velocity like a mouse trap? Are you familiar with Hooke's law? Are you just looking for a spring constant so you can calculate the potential of different materials?

The more I ponder your question, the more confused I am. Anyone attempting to tackle a problem of this magnitude should at least know what's involved in finding the answer, and be ready to offer the necessary variables.

At this point, anything you can offer would be more than you have, because considering what you've furnished I can only suggest trial and error.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:56 pm 

well, as i know torsion springs, they are flat or hexagon bars of hi tension steel. so im going to guess you want to make a traditional mechanical coil spring.

heres the problem, you cant buy "spring wire" and turn it yourself, unless you plan in treating it and tempering it.

i would use google to find springs based on lengeth and draw/pull force and needed. i hope this helps.

Last edited by GuavaSauce on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 am 

yeah google is king of all engine !

Andrew Mond
Atlanta , Georgia , USA
<Links removed>