Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 am 

siramic wrote:
WOW, allot of time and work went into that model and this thread...very impressive :D
Nice work ASPHIAX, even some nice links for parts at, HighFlow

Thansk man !
And she's not complete yet, there's going to be :
- the phaser banks
- The deep space 9 type pc stand
- delta flyer mouse
- dilithium crystal rad casing

And much more to come
I dont think this one will ever be complete ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:02 am 

love how it turned out

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 am 

usrebmot wrote:
love how it turned out

Thansk man, now I am going to program some different fire-ing sequences amd hook it up to a remote so i can build the tricorder. This will take some time so keep tuning in!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm 

Ok, I`ve got a question for YOU !

Normally the colour of a federation phaser is orange/red. But to recreate that visually a strong laser is needed. Another solution without risking eye damage is a Blue/Violet laser.

Poll: Do YOU think a Blue/Violet phaser is ok for the EURISKO?

[*]Yes, that`s cool

[*]No, original is better
Tussenstand:
Ook een poll maken? Klik hier

Poll stops in 5 days !
Thanks people !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 am 

This was just posted in the dutch forums and I have Marco's permission to post this translation in the international forums.

Hello everyone,
it took a while but Asphiax and us have come to a result. Since we cannot and don't want to disappoint the current top three nor Asphiax we have decided to award Asphiax with the Honorary Second Place. The USS EURISKO is a great mod which deserves all honor and respect so that is why we came to this conclusion. Next to this honorable mention, Asphiax will also receive these prizes to make a nice gaming rig:
1x Cosmos S
1x Silent pro Gold 1000w
1x V8 CPU cooler
3x Turbine Master fan
1x Gigabyte P67 Mobo
1x 580GTX VGA kaart
1x Patriot Viper Xtreme Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) x1

The official statement will be placed on http://www.coolermaster.com/casemod2011 after the weekend. I would like to offer my apologies again in name of Cooler Master for how things went down, I hope we took away some of your frustrations this way.
Have a great weekend!

Marco van Genechten
Cooler Master Netherlands

I must say that I am very happy with the Honorary Second place and I feel everything is restored to waht it was before this mistake happend.
I would like to thank Marco, Ruud, Raymen, CM Taiwan and CM -Netherland in special and offcourse all of you for the support during the last weeks.
This will help me to complete the EURISKO big time and I am so looking forward to BF3 now.

Again many thanks and see you again in next years Coolermaster Casemod Contest !
Best
Sander van der Velden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:36 pm 

Here is a short vid on the TriCorder Controller for the Main Deflector Laser and the different fire-ing patterns.

I will need to find a decent second hand tricorder on ebay or something and fit the small remote into it. There will be more functions (double digit functions, 11,22,33,44) to control the other led and led arrays in the ship. Also the volume control of this old HDMI switcher remote will be used to fade certain leds. Couple of nice challenges to be overcome, but its getting there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm 

Here is a mid-year update !

Ths build of the EURISKO started on january 16th and its now halfway through the year so time for a short update and planning for the next phase of the build.

Current state:
What a job but the noses and backsides of the nacelles are almost identical. Finally! Have got 6 days off from work (starting the 16th) to close the entire wing sections, right nacelle, install the mesh for the SDD/HDD tailfan and finish the deflector tunnel. I am going to need those 6 days ...

Its not going to be only build work but also unfortunately some restauration work. One of my cats descided to have a problem with that great big white thing in the corner of the room. Nails vs Depron, all best are open .... :nono:

Also for the next phase WWWicked of the Dutch forum Highflow has been hacking away at the beautifull banner made by JDBNSN! Hope you dont mind as I think it turned out quite ok. (picture is going te get swapped for finished picture)

Also I finally found a solution for the 500 dollar quote I received for the Dedication Plaque made of plexi.
Thanks to Dennis Jasper of Significs.nl

There will be highres pic available once I put a nice frame around it

Live long and Prosper !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm 

Hi all, I am sorry for the delay in posting the progress of the work on the EURISKO.
I will post quite a large amount of work!

As promissed! The high res (4592 x 2576 - 4. MB) can be downloaded from http://asphiax.wordpress.com

Last edited by ASPHIAX on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:47 pm 

To make a giant leap i took a couple of days off and started a MOD marathon.
My wife (she really wants to see the EURISKO finished) will take care of all the daily stuff and give me some time off to MOD my brains out.

So, Here is the update on day one of the MOD marathon

Current state :

Put a powertool next to it to give a better idea of the size!

The Wing section needs some serious work!

The bottom saucer section needs some love too !

Need to finish some last details.

See the little wooden blocks, those will be made into a slide-in frame that can be mounted when there's need for warp speed.

I also want to install all the bottom fans for the push/pull setup

A mountain of depron ...

The nose and aft section of the necalle can be removed if i ever need to get to the BITSPOWER fittings.

Jump ahead, second nacelle encapsulated!

That was it for day one , stay tuned for the upcoming 5 days of the marathon !

Laters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:48 pm 

Ok, Here is the update of the 2nd day of the MOD Marathon!

0900 >>>

So that's it for today, laterz !
Just joking ..

Installed the SSD/HDD Tailfan to see the effect before fixating the mesh with apoxy clay.

Untill tomorrow !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:49 pm 

Ok, Here is the update of day 4 of the MOD Marathon.

Instead of working on the exterior hull and deflector tunnel sections, I was working on something I felt was missing untill now.

The Impulse drives were just simple pieces of foam. This cannot be !

So started to work on some simple models to see what I wanted. This is the one I finally went for.

This is just to get a sense of size and general feel .. But its already looking better I think !

This is the final model. It looks a bit rough but I need to sand it down and fill in the cracks with the cellulose based filler.

Again looking better I think !

Here you can see the reason why I needed to build the models first. I needed to cut deeply into the wingsection to get the lighting installed. This is aluminium foil and 3 seperate layers of 5 mm frosted plexi to get a good glow.

Here you can see the layered approach to the impulse drive.

lighting test, the glow is ok considering this is lit by a led strip and not 2 single 8KMCD RGB leds (yes they will be constrolleable!)

Final result! Still has some light leaks but those are easily fixed .

Until tomorrow!

Laterz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm 

Day 5 into the MOD Marathon and I am starting to feel the strain.

Must have been working on the EURISKO for at least 39 hours the past days.

All good fun but I am getting Depron-itis and would love do something else then sticking foam to epoxy. So I did

Yesterday I worked on the right Impulse drive. Today I duplicated it to the left and created all the wiring and updated the circuit board to allow for the additional RGB leds. Will try to get a better picture tomorrow!

I finished the design of the lower saucer but cannot finalise it as the baseplate needs be fixated to the deflector tunnel to allow for certain curves to be finished with depron.

This is by the way the first attempt ( a very miserable one I agree) to paint the EURISKO for a contest a couple of months ago. It was abandoned for more reseasch as after 5 minutes I knew this was not going to fly …

Just a small thing. Finished the front of the EURISKO. The lower “missing” parts will be airbrushed to allow for some additional depth.

Also did tons of other small but necessary stuff !

So with just a day left to finish all the depron work its going to be close.

Got around 8 hours left before I go on holiday for 2 weeks.

Untill tomorrow !

Laterz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:52 pm 

Teaser ...
The High Res Pics and the Video will be posted here http://asphiax.wordpress.com

Last edited by ASPHIAX on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:52 pm 

Psssttt ...
74 High res pictures >>> http://asphiax.wordpress.com

Some highlights !

Post subject: Re: USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class - MOD Marathon Upda
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:11 pm 

The Video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdPTneKwqc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Really nice work, ASPHIAX! Loved seeing all the photos.

About the YouTube video, I don't think that most people on YouTube would realize that it is a desktop computer mod, not just a model of the ship. Until they see the monitor and see you working the keyboard and mouse I doubt they will realize that it is a computer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:05 am 

Crossfire wrote:
Really nice work, ASPHIAX! Loved seeing all the photos.
About the YouTube video, I don't think that most people on YouTube would realize that it is a desktop computer mod, not just a model of the ship. Until they see the monitor and see you working the keyboard and mouse I doubt they will realize that it is a computer.

Excellent comment! Didnt realise that untill now!
The final video is going to be much different/longer as it has to incorporate also the LCARS fancontroller, the laser, the warp nacelles and the monitor and DF mouse.

I am working on the monitor and delta flyer mouse right now. Looking into a LCARS screen for the monitor. (maybe fit a 22 inch monitor into a 26 inch monitor frame and using the extra room for the lcars)
I have got the delta flyer model from the 3D printer but the material is not exactly how I expected it. To build the mouse hardware into into it I need to cut into the bottom and I am afraid it will break the model. Now researching resin casting for this job. A day not learned is a day lost (or how that verb goes)

I am working on my next build also. You can find the specs http://asphiax.wordpress.com/future-builds-and-concepts/cylon-resurrection-nas/.
Its a Network Attached Storage or NAS based on the resurrection ship from Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 pm 

I often get questions about the size of the EURISKO.
Here is a picture of a Cosmos S and a DragonLord K62 case back to back for comparison.
The Hight is about half a normal tower case !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 am 

Hi All,

The fact that the Resurrection NAS has been delayed by the ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly) prices if HDD's and I have started another build - 2001 - A Case Modyssey, does not mean that the work on the EURISKO is halted.

I am currently venturing into the world of airbushing and here is the first update.

Because of the softness of the depron (I would definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) go with Styrene next time) it needs a lot of fixing up before the final layers of paint can be shot with the airbrush pistol.

Seems are a real bitch as i cannot use normal putty as that has a chemical reaction with depron.

Also little bumps and dents are abundant as i have been building her for quite some time (again a lesson) I use woodglue to fill in the dents and then shoot another layer and fix her up again. Slow work!

But al least we are getting somewhere!

Later!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 am 

Ok, so here's the bad news !!!!

As some of you might know i am relatively new to modding. I have been modding for exactly 13 months now and the EURISKO is my first mod. I have never done any airbrushing before. So i bought myself an airbrush and started practising , reading and so on. I used a special filling primer to get rid of the last little scratches and marks. It all started out so nice !!!

Getting the whole model taped up was a big job, took over 5,5 hours to get it perfect !

The first layer went on perfectly !

So then it was time to pull off the tape and continue to the deflector tunnel and warp nacelles! So I thought !

EPIC FAIL !!!!
The new role of tape was to strong , my test piece waxs done with a role a couple of months old and it worked perfectly and now this !!! It tears the baselayer right off!

I think I died a little there ....

So with 8 hours left to complete the build (I wanted to have it completed before midnight newyears eve) I had to sand all the troubled pieces down (no small task with depron), put them into the primer again and repaint them. I was so hoping that I will not encounter any other hurdles.

SO on my brithday at 3 in the morning it looked like this
From starship to loveboat!

The resturation is going ahead relatively ok!

You can see the damage from the sanding but maybe I can turn that into weathering like a whole bunch of Borg Torpedoes have hit.

But in the end I made it !!! With the setback of the 29th I worked almost through my birthday and all night but I made it ! She's finished!!!!
Here are my 2 mascottes , Captain Janeway (sorry kate) and the voyager sign!

More to come but first a Very BIG BEER !!!!

Here is the first picture set !!!

USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class - Finished !!!

Some highlights !

Thanks for watching and to all a Happy new year !!!!!
There will be a proper photoshoot and more posts with additions, its finished but not done !