Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My first DIY.. "Hi-End" speaker cables.
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello All.
I thought I'd post a few pics (phone camera, sorry) of the cables I built the past couple of days.

I recently bought a new Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver (second week & loving it!) & thought I would "upgrade" my front 3 (L C R) speaker cables, the old ones were basic 14-18 gauge.. & I wanted something bigger.

After quit a bit of research & reading I found that SOOW 10/4 (10 gauge 4 wire) cable from Home Depot was the way to go for Bi-Amping my Infinity Beta 50's. $2.50ft X 20' $50.00. YES IT'S BIG! lol

I then went online to Parts-Express & ordered two 1/4" rolls of Techflex PET one Black roll, one Carbon roll & one 3/4 Carbon roll, I also got the adhesive backed heat shrink tubing to finish the ends with. $54.66

I found some awesome banana plugs at DIYCable.com, they are the Exodus EX-Bana, they are chrome & are very heavy & beautifully machined.. they have duel set screws & hold the wire very solidly! A++ Fit & Finish. 10pr $52.50.

The Bi-Amp set of cables will be wired as follows, Carbon pair +- will be for the mid/tweeter & the Black pair +- will be for the woofers. The center is one Black + one Carbon -. Left & Right are 7' long & the center is 5' long, I know, that's only 19'. lol Not a lot of room!

Anyway, I took a few photos as I assembling them, this is by no means a step-by-step.. it's just a simple look at the basics of assembly.

What do you think.. not to bad for my first go & $157.16.. I think they turned out okay!
Enjoy, Phil B.

Post subject: Re: My first DIY.. "Hi-End" speaker cables.
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Good stuff man, I build my own cables as well, better quality and huge savings! The Techflex lends a nice professional look.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Great job bro. Once again someone inspires me to do something and I have no access to my stuff to do any of it with, lol.

Just a question that I think I have the answer to, but am not 100% certain and am having a hard time getting an answer to: If I use 18 AWG wire, such as wire coming out of a PSU to a molex connector, can I safely and soundly use that with a DIN connector that's rated to work with 14AWG wire and not have an issue? I'm fairly certain that I can, but am just looking for confirmation from people who've done things of this nature, thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:41 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Great job bro. Once again someone inspires me to do something and I have no access to my stuff to do any of it with, lol.

Just a question that I think I have the answer to, but am not 100% certain and am having a hard time getting an answer to: If I use 18 AWG wire, such as wire coming out of a PSU to a molex connector, can I safely and soundly use that with a DIN connector that's rated to work with 14AWG wire and not have an issue? I'm fairly certain that I can, but am just looking for confirmation from people who've done things of this nature, thanks ahead of time.

Depends entirely on the current load you're planning on. Unless you're dealing with house current, or feeding a car stereo, you should be good.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Z5DELTA wrote:
Hello All.
I thought I'd post a few pics (phone camera, sorry) of the cables I built the past couple of days.

I recently bought a new Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver (second week & loving it!) & thought I would "upgrade" my front 3 (L C R) speaker cables, the old ones were basic 14-18 gauge.. & I wanted something bigger.

After quit a bit of research & reading I found that SOOW 10/4 (10 gauge 4 wire) cable from Home Depot was the way to go for Bi-Amping my Infinity Beta 50's. $2.50ft X 20' $50.00. YES IT'S BIG! lol

I then went online to Parts-Express & ordered two 1/4" rolls of Techflex PET one Black roll, one Carbon roll & one 3/4 Carbon roll, I also got the adhesive backed heat shrink tubing to finish the ends with. $54.66

I found some awesome banana plugs at DIYCable.com, they are the Exodus EX-Bana, they are chrome & are very heavy & beautifully machined.. they have duel set screws & hold the wire very solidly! A++ Fit & Finish. 10pr $52.50.

The Bi-Amp set of cables will be wired as follows, Carbon pair +- will be for the mid/tweeter & the Black pair +- will be for the woofers. The center is one Black + one Carbon -. Left & Right are 7' long & the center is 5' long, I know, that's only 19'. lol Not a lot of room!

Anyway, I took a few photos as I assembling them, this is by no means a step-by-step.. it's just a simple look at the basics of assembly.

What do you think.. not to bad for my first go & $157.16.. I think they turned out okay!
Enjoy, Phil B.

As a long-time stereo fan, I gotta say that's very well done. They make my homebrew cables (12ga. landscape lighting wire with screw-on RatShack bananas) look sick.
Nice work. :D