Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UV lights
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I need some UV lights to make my cables glow(x-connect and IDE), and does anyone know of a good way besides cold cathodes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well, you could get UV fans and replace the ones you've got now. or, head to google, and google up UV LEDs. you'd have to wire em yourself, but thats not hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

How about a real black light? Go to a Head/Smoke shop and look for a 12v inverted Black Light. Why don't these work? I haven't seen any in a PC. They're fluorescent, so they don't make heat really.

Gotta be careful on buying some of those UV LED's. As far as UV LED's go, there's some about as bright as IR LED's (NOT visible). That's a bit sarcastic, but some of these UV LED's aren't bright enough to illuminate a case and it's cabling. Same with fans really, as they just use a couple LED's in them.

I think the only way to go is with CCT's, and little 4" UV tubes like these can be placed in a lot of places the larger 12" ones can't. I'd rather have 2 small ones placed well than one big one stuck on the base.

There's also UV CC fans, grills...you name it; so go nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i alrady have a "UV" fan, i got it from newegg and it siad UV so i got it, it does not do a thing as far as lighting my cables

Chumly, are those lights u linked me to are they the ones you have? If so how do they work for you

and i would have to get the 4" i have no place in my case a 12" would fit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I've used cathodes before, and I'm not too sure I'd risk a CC inside a nice computer system lest the inverter decide to explode needlessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

sflshooter wrote:
i alrady have a "UV" fan, i got it from newegg and it siad UV so i got it, it does not do a thing as far as lighting my cables

you prolly got UV reactive fans. meaning they glow under UV light. you gotta get UV lighted fans for the UV to work. but I would just go cold cathode on the bitch. they work, especially if you can get a couple of small 4 inch ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:00 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

it has blue LEDs in the fan, so those LEDs are not UV then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

prolly not, usually UV is kindof purple-ish to the eye. like a black light. if it dont make UV-reactive things glow, it isnt UV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

wil UV make things glow the same way black light makes white turn blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I was under the impression that black light was UV light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

im not sure, does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:11 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

sflshooter wrote:
Chumly, are those lights u linked me to are they the ones you have? If so how do they work for you
Nope. I have one rig with a blue 12" CCT in it that is the same make as those though. It's worked...I dunno...I guess they are fine. They put out light and didn't blow up.

See, I lost the whole CCT fling about a year ago, so I just leave the thing off. So, I can't really say if they are awesome or not. I'd take it out, but where would I put it besides the trash? Sounds like a shame to do that.
Thug Esquire wrote:
I was under the impression that black light was UV light.
I think we all are, but I'm not too sure that resellers are on the same page as us. In some cases, I imagine they're taking purple light and calling it UV. I dunno. But blacklights don't put out a whole lot of visable light and some of these things look like they're lighting up the case with light. IMO, a UV light shouldn't illuminate anything but the UV reactive stuff. Maybe 3" around the light, but not the whole thing.

And I don't think you need Cold Cathode to do this, or if it even can. As stated above, fluorescent can do this well already. Our parents may be the UV light geniuses...they're hippy children, see what they have to say! (LOL..."what!? UV light!? Are you smoking dope son?)

I have a little hand held tube for security ID of parts, and I can't see it lighting up something 2" away unless it's UV reactive. I also have an EPROM chip eraser that makes no visable light at all when working. It's with this that I think CCT isn't emmitting the right wave length of UV that you can with some other method of making UV lighting.

What is UV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:33 pm 

Just so you know, a UV lamp emits very little if any light since UV is outside the human range of visibility.

A black light is Uv and is called a black light cause it's black when the power is on, making it look as though it isn't powered up.

I have a question, in the January issue of the magazine the tower at the back had fluorescent marker traced on the motherboard to make the circuitry glow. Now would a UV reactive paint work for this and since I can't find those bic fluo pens around here would any fluorescent marker work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i tryed a black light and it did not work, mabey i need it to be a little darker, ill try again some time when its really dark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:04 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...damn! I thought this UV stuff was easy or something. I've never ever seen this stuff for PC's in person if you can believe that. I've seen blacklights and UV pens and stuff and it works even in modestly dim rooms.

Maybe the photographers use a filter when taking pics, because some of them just appear to be glowing really bright. There's a lot of pics out there with people trying to show off their UV water or whatever, and I don't see it...I just see the light itself. Maybe it's just all junk?

Another trick you may use is skip all this UV reactive stuff they're selling for the masses, and try some glow-in-the-dark paint. We had some in the Nav for making wall targets (compartment numbers, where you're at) and it not only did the dark thing, but also lit up with UV lights really well. Anyone second this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

at least the cables still look good even not lit up, i should check the ultra forums to see what they are using over there