Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2 PSUs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:45 pm 

sorry I haven't posted in a while... My hard drive failed and I was too lazy ot get a new one. lol. I was wondering if anyone thought this was a stupid idea, or if they had any thoughts at all...

My Graphic card was complaining that it didn't have enough power even though it only needed 300 of my 450, so I came up with an idea. I have 2 PSUs powering my system! I have 1 dedicated to my core components, and the other dedicated to all my mods/lights/accesories. is this safe? I didn't see anythign wrong because it is a completely different system so to speak that is powering the lights, and there are no parts hooked up to that one because I dont want ot have parts powerd up while the motherboard is down. is there anythign that I missed?

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

should be no problem at all, i was planning on doing the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:40 am 
Klamath
Klamath

oh yeah, lots of people have put 2 psu's in their pcs before. it shouldn't give you any trouble (as far as i can tell anyways).
good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:48 am 

thanks for the feedback. I haven't heard of many people doing it before so I wasn't sure if I was just missing anything stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:29 am 
Team Member
Team Member

did you just mod the wires so that you don't need the mobo power connector?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I was sitting here trying to figure out how a 2nd PS would help your hard drive problem. DOH!

Ya, sure it'll work. I have an adapter for the CMstacker if ya need it. I had planned on using 2 PSU's, but my reservoir I've build is now in the lower PS mount, so I'm thinking of sticking with this config. Cleaner anyway.

The only trick is this adapter that snoops the turn on signal from the other PS. Then just run the periphials off #2. I was planning on running the HPPS pump, Video card, and the fans off a little fanless PS. You could subsitute the opticals or HDDs in the place where I had planed a pump. Having the opticals and HDD's on different PS's sure wouldn't hurt. Anway...totally doable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:26 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i have 2 psu's running right now(makeshift). i have two old beaters since my antec just failed. lmao, i have a powercord going in through a floppy slot to poser the second one. but i have mobo and primary HD and vid card on one and then the other hd's, opticals and fans on the other. i cant wait till my truepower 550 comes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:05 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

gramaton cleric wrote:
i have 2 psu's running right now(makeshift). i have two old beaters since my antec just failed. lmao, i have a powercord going in through a floppy slot to poser the second one. but i have mobo and primary HD and vid card on one and then the other hd's, opticals and fans on the other. i cant wait till my truepower 550 comes :D

I was just reading in another forum where they suggested putting your MOBO, video card, and fans on the same PSU. Reason is that if the secondary PSU with fans quits... your MOBO and video card will fry if the fans are on the secondary PSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:33 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I think the computer will crash before a total melt down..but then again..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

i was considering doing this but i would do it more for the sake keeping wiring neat instead of more power. if u need more power, get a stronger PSU. u add a second one to get wires neatley into the deps and crevaces in the bottom of a case...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:11 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I like the thought of redundant power supplies myself. PC power & Cooling (that's the only fregg'n time I EVER use the stupid "&" key!) used to sell them, but doesn't look like the do anymore. If one failed, the other would pop on. Like this dual-400W one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:18 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

redundant PSU's are still made for servers and such. they're not really usefull for desktops, they provide security, not extra power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
I like the thought of redundant power supplies myself. PC power & Cooling (that's the only fregg'n time I EVER use the stupid "&" key!) used to sell them, but doesn't look like the do anymore. If one failed, the other would pop on. Like this dual-400W one

Hey Chumly... You just used the "&" key to tell us that was the only time you used the "&" key, thus falsifying the statement the you only use the "&" for the name "PC Power & Cooling". I feel ornery today :D

Arquero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Arquero wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Hey Chumly... You just used the "&" key to tell us that was the only time you used the "&" key, thus falsifying the statement the you only use the "&" for the name "PC Power & Cooling". I feel ornery today :D

Arquero

only thing is though, he put quotes around it, so... that means he only theoretically "used" it once.