Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cosmos S paint job
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:34 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I am thinking I want to give my case a custom paint job, something to make it really feel unique and mine. Never done any sort of modding though, and have no idea what kind of paint to use. Any recommendations or tips for a first timer? My case is the Cosmos S, and my plan is to replace the side panel with this, then paint the interior and exterior. Which one is best to do first? Also what is the best thing to use to protect the finish?

I was also kind of wanting to wet my feet in some actual modding, in addition it the painting. One thing I don't like about the case is the hard-drive bay. What kind of difficulty level are we looking at to try and convert it to be like the HAF X hard drive bay? Even if that is out of reach, one thing I would like to add is one of those holes in the motherboard tray to make it easier to install a CPU heatsink. Then probably some cable management holes as well. With these kind of tasks, I will no doubt need a cutting tool. What is a good tool to invest in? Also, once cuts are made, what is a good way to make it so the aluminum isn't all sharp and jagged?

Lastly any beginner level suggestions for cool mods for this case would be appreciated. What about any mods that would be useful for a watercooling setup?

Post subject: Re: Cosmos S paint job
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Mod first, finish it later.

I'm a Dick about modding and "custom", as all that means it's made by us...NOT bought. Example? You want personalization, but quickly skip over painting methods and go right for buying a panel you already have, but this one has a window and you can just unwrap it and slap it on. If you can't make a window with your side panel, pause there as you don't have the patience for painting. Prove me wrong! Anyone selling stuff, of any sort, that doesn't come stock and is bought...is "custom". No,it's aftermarket. If I hand make my fenders for a jeep and someone else slaps some on they bought on, which is actually custom? So if I make my own fan bay, reservoir, and all this stuff custom fit for me and another buys it...it's not custom is it? See...I'm a dick about it :D

Take off your panel and mod it! IF you fuck it up, you know of a site that sells it right? Yup. You may not want that boring window shape at all. You may envision some design or something different. Even if you like it just like the one you linked toward, then you buy it (not custom nor modded...just paid for) then you have a plain panel just sitting there and your brain can go back to...nothing artistic. Put some flashing lights in it. Call it a day...call it custom. I just passed some July mod winner (PC Perspective?) on eBay and the paint looked like a 2yo. But it had lights! Bays? Custom...bought.

With paint you have rattle can for under $100 or start buying real equipment and learning for highend sprays. That's money right? Pretty much, but both can turn out great with patience. Spend 10hrs with elbow grease, 30 minutes is spraying. That's a fender or case panel in my world. Good looking sprays end in the second a panel is slid on because the paint chips off from poor prep. It's Ferrari Red at whatever cost, but the method just sucked...no time in prep (why I pick on vendors with .com names that advertise modding here. They are all about now).

That's cut short BTW. Choose how much patience you have. If it's just a weekend, you're looking at $45 and it'll last maybe a month if you're lucky. Got time for an actual mod? Plan it out before you order parts, then plan on 12 days for just the paint (which this thread is titled). If you have actual mods, factor that in. It may be a month forward but that's expected...you want good work.

Me? I've done too many to list. They've toured with Honda, Ducati, Ford, GoodGuys, and still on tour for the Camaro...just never won a cheap mod award on some PC based mod award. It's always the blinking lights and $12 coolermaster bays that hold me back from them; and I've never tried to sell my stuff. It's the view on your blank canvas and how your view reflects your vision. If your view overtakes ability, practice more.

(or you just want to change colors. That's done just fine in a weekend on the cheap...that's a mod too)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:26 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

hahaha, I actually was doing some research and such, and saw people doing the side window themselves. Completely slipped my mind that I could do that, like I said, brand new to this. But yeah I am definitely not buying the panel anymore, definitely going to do it myself now.

So right now my plan is as follows:
-make side panel
-cut holes for better cable routing
-maybe sleeve some cables
-maybe try to turn the hard drive bay to allow easy access
-paint

I got some time over Christmas break, but a limited budget. Definitely need something to cut with. Does this Dremel look good? Planning just to use some spray paint to paint. Prime, color, and clear coat. Heard something about an etching primer, is that good to use? Any other suggestions about paint?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I agree with Chumly and with the voiceless others patience is the key to it all. I also agree that a plan is a must. Sit down and think out every detail in your head and put it to paper it is the easiest thing to help your self think of all the things you will need. We all have made our mistakes in the modding process but I know that we all learned from them on our own and as a collective.

I personally have fried a MB because I tried to do the wire sleeving myself and didn't mark the wires and the molex plug direction and mixed two wires up! doh! :x Good thing is I learned something in the process! One of the things I love about the modding process is you learn from it and you get to be creative at the same time!

Browse or search the modding section for tips on painting with the "rattle can" or other ideas you might have chances are it has been done before.
The site link to home depot was down temporarily so not sure what you linked but a dremel can and probably will be your best friend! You might need a few different parts for it though.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Wiked_smart wrote:
I agree with Chumly and with the voiceless others patience is the key to it all. I also agree that a plan is a must. Sit down and think out every detail in your head and put it to paper it is the easiest thing to help your self think of all the things you will need. We all have made our mistakes in the modding process but I know that we all learned from them on our own and as a collective.
Small tip from my experience: when you're putting your plan to paper - measure it twice. Then before you put a cutting tool to anything, measure it again.

My problem seems to always be with fans. I have found myself not being able to put in a fan because I didn't measure *EVERYTHING* first, in one mod. Then, on a case-built-from-scratch project, I ended up with two less fans than I had planned for (thankfully noticed those before I actually cut the holes....).

Especially with wanting to rotate the HDD bays. Your current case's outside dimensions show that it's wider than the HAF X, but just like a pretty case with a Pentium4 processor in it: it's what is on the inside that matters (..or in Chumly's case, a fancy corvette body wrapped around a VW beetle engine?), and don't forget to leave room for the cabling, as well as being able to anchor the drives into your rotated cage.