Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 3x 5.25 bay to 120mm fan adapter...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, the title pretty much sums it up. I need to add another front intake fan, so as to pull air directly in to cool the RAM and rush cool, fresh air directly to my CNPS9700NT. I'm looking to make it from whatever I can find myself having already, which consists of some 3/16" thick clear acrylic, many shells from optical drives, the usual tools (dremel, drill, hole-saw bits, unibit, heat gun, etc.). If I choose to make this out of acrylic, then in order to match my chassis better, I'll paint it black (from the inside). I already have the paint, clear-coat, etc. available as well. I don't need filters or grills, as there won't be anything stuck into the fan and I'll be regularly blowing the dust out anyway with canned air. Filters suffocate fans, and therefore I hate them.

Additionally, I think I may create a 120mm acrylic fan grill for the side fan, incorporating a custom logo for the name I've given to this machine: "NBOX". I even went ahead and made a wallpaper from an original XBOX wallpaper to match it nicely.

So, primarily focusing on the fan mounting bay, has anyone done this yet, and if so, can you help me with any advice, tips, tricks, etc.? I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to use what I have available, but if you can recommend something, feel free to ask if I may have any, and if I don't know right away, I can dig through all of my stuff to find out. I'm still finding things I hadn't seen in years, lol, so it's not impossible or improbable either.

Thank you ahead of time, for any and all help you can give. I need to be as budget-conscious as possible about this. I still need to purchase the fans, which I'll only use 1 in this particular project, however I'm ordering a 4-in-1 multi-pack of these. I'll be putting 1 in back, 1 on the left side panel, 1 on the bottom to draw cool air directly to the bottom 8800GTX and 1 in the front, as the primary intake for the RAM and CPU cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

If you're looking for some ideas I have this in my case. They are $23 from Amazon shipped with the fan or Newegg with a couple dollers shipping.

You could either use their pictures and product literature to get a few ideas, or just get one of these and mod the front to get rid of the CM look. Depends on how set you are from doing it from scratch.

Mfg product number is STB-3T4-E3-GP if you want to search on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Nah, if I were to do that, I'd just get this instead. Nicer for my needs, simpler, sleeker, etc. It's a whopping $9 too. But alas, no, I have materials, just asking for any help, tips, advice, etc.

Thank you anyway.