Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gamerfreak Mod's a desk (well card table)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:48 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Rule Of thumb: Never trust old card tables completely made of carboard that you find in your garage, especialy if you are putting expensive equipment on it.

On christmas (as most of you know) I got a new computer. Having no place to set it up because i dont have a desk yet, I found a old card table in my garage and threw a table cloth over it (becuase its soo ugly). Well yesterday my elbow did a little Moding for me. I was reading my php book and doing the examples on the computer while resting my elbow where I usually do. Then BOOM! My arm went strait through. It is cardboard afterall. Well anywho I have pics.

At least I can store my phone in there

Or Dlink Router

Or That and whole bunch of other crap

Side Veiw

Underside Veiw

Well sorry to disapoint you. I knew you where looking forward to another one of my skillfull mods :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:01 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Gamerfreak wrote:
Rule Of thumb: Never trust old card tables completely made of carboard that you find in your garage, especialy if you are putting expensive equipment on it.

LOL!

Nice Mod! ;)

Of course, since you discovered that, you can clean up the frame and slap some nice wood on top of that. Viola! New desk! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

what kind of computer did you get

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:01 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

dell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

whats in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

gamerfreak wrote:
dell

specs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Radek194 wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
dell

specs?

thats the same thing as: Whats in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sflshooter wrote:
Radek194 wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
dell

specs?

thats the same thing as: Whats in it?

Yeah but if you read the times correctly I opened the page before you typed, and while reading down without refreshing your post wasn't posted yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:55 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

p4 3.4 GHtz
Dell mobo which is probebly a foxconn
60gb hd
512mb ram (need to add 2 more sticks of 256)
RAdeon x300 (yes i know it sucks)

NOW GET BACK ON TOPIC
:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

gamerfreak wrote:
RAdeon x300 (this is a real gaming video card, real beast!)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! this may take a while before I stop laughing... AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!! ok im settled down.. Nice CPU... Which model dell is it? 4700? Go to this site http://www.ihatedell.net to find good reviews on it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:36 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

8400. I am getting a new case, video card, and more ram for it. Then no one will be able to tell it's a dell, except when it starts up. And yes it is a nice psu. I slep with it last night :wink:

Dells dont bug me. I was gonna nuild oen with the money i got after christmas but i had no idea i was getting this. Plus its better then my old dell. It had a p3 and a geforceII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sounds nice exept for the x300
would you consider a 6600GT as a replacement(good bang for the buck)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sflshooter wrote:
sounds nice exept for the x300
would you consider a 6600GT as a replacement(good bang for the buck)

How about a 6800 better bang for the buck..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Lol...I think I have that same card table back in Chumly's lair. It was my grandmother's, and I just kept it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

or get a 6800 ultra pciE, the most bang for your gold brick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:10 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

You forgot to mention your running Windows Media Center 2005 :wink:

So, do tell, with all of those gift cards you had, why on earth didn't you buy a desk?

Taken from the Guess what I got - link to Gamerfreaks Dell Dimension 8400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:28 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i hope your not still using this for your computer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:42 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I am using it for it. lol. I was leaning really hard. Plus i dont have mu computer sitting in it. My computer is on the floor. The flat panel is just on the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:17 am 

gamerfreak wrote:
8400. I am getting a new case, video card, and more ram for it. Then no one will be able to tell it's a dell, except when it starts up. And yes it is a nice psu. I slep with it last night :wink:

Dells dont bug me. I was gonna nuild oen with the money i got after christmas but i had no idea i was getting this. Plus its better then my old dell. It had a p3 and a geforceII

The following can be fixed with a little BIOS mod.

EXTRACTING THE EPA(ENERGY STAR) AND OEM(FULL SCREEN DELL) LOGOS:
Start by getting the newest BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer,and the flash program and version they recommend for this particular BIOS and motherboard.(Or use your flash program to make a copy of your current BIOS.)Binary BIOS files are apparantly compressed files,using a variant of LZH encoding to include various parts. To modify this file you'll need the "leaked" program called CBROM.EXE.
You can display the contents of your BIOS file by typing CBROM biosfilename.ext /D From this BIOS file,you need to extract the original EPA logo,by typing: CBROM biosfilename.ext /EPA extract and then enter the name you want to give the extracted file when prompted - or just hit enter to use the original name.
The name of this "EPA-logo" file was AwardBmp.bmp - and this hints that this bios is using the "EPA version 2" image type,called AWBM - supposedly meaning AWard BitMap.Disregard the .BMP extension,it means nothing.
When the "old" EPA format is used,the extension is usually .EPA instead of .BMP,but this is not a golden rule.
As said earlier,these EPA/AWBM images are in special format that cannot be opened with regular graphics apps. Fortunately,"Linkit Productions", http://linkIt.Euro.Ru/ has "hacked" this EPA/AWBM format and released some shareware products that can read and convert it. To make sure what type of image it is,download their "AWBMREAD" program(a DOS program,works fine in Windows console) and load up the extracted EPA logo - it will then tell you its characteristics and display the logo.Rename it to .EPA first if needed,though - the AWBM reader (stupidly) won't accept a .BMP extension... Simply type: RENAME awardbmp.bmp awardbmp.epa
AWBMREAD awardbmp.epa and hit "enter" a few times to go through the steps,noting what kind of EPA logo it is,and the size of it. To extract your full screen OEM Dell Logo do the same as above except type: CBROM biosfilename.ext /OEM extract and hit enter. Hit enter again when asked to save it. Go to the place you saved the extracted dell logo and delete it cause you will not need it any longer.

INSTALLING A REPLACEMENT EPA LOGO (BYE-BYE ENERY STAR):
First go here http://www.juggernaut.de/seiten/pcfun/bios/epadownload.htm and pick a new epa logo and save it to the good ol' desktop or go here http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl6178/bios/Bioslogo.html and scroll down to the directions for making a new logo. Second you still need to use CBROM to add the EPA to the BIOS file, though.Third at last,when you've made your logo and converted it to EPA/AWBM format,comes the time to flash the BIOS. First,however,you need to get the logo into the BIOS file - which is again achieved using the CBROM.EXE program: CBROM biosfilename.ext /EPA logoname.ext Make sure to read any error messages and do NOT attempt to flash if anything seems wrong.

FLASHING THE BIOS:
Once you have done the above mods to your BIOS and reconstructed it and saved it preferrably with the name "oembios.bin", you can now use your BIOS flashing utility to write it to the chip.

For more info on the above this is a great startpage http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl6178/bios/Bioslogo.html and it has links to point you to all the stuff you need to perform this great service for your machine.

If you done everything correctly you should now be able to see the boot sequence as it happens with the your custom logo in the top right corner of the boot screen just like on a homegrown machine.

Sorry for the long post guys. I just wanted to let him know how he can get rid of that Dell logo if he really wanted to.

All in all it will take you alot less time than it took me to type this post :lol:

GOOD LUCK CHIEF -- LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

is that really worth the risk? so what if its a dell? even though I hate the company, if it works it works, right? I wouldn't even bother. but thats just my opinion.