Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Design from scratch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:41 pm 

I have been working on the chassis design and made some progress on how to break the outside of the chassis into parts so it is cheaper and easier to manufacture. It took a few days of staring at it to get it. In the pictures below the top of the case is not shown because I have not decided how I want to orient the motherboard. Also, the ebmpapst fan came in today, so I am going to take it into work and hook it up to a power supply to see how load it is—hopefully not too loud to use in the design. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

It looks great for functionality but I was wondering if there is going to be another "skin" over the mid section or are you going to incorporate some other aesthetics to it in other places?

Are the fans pulling or pushing the air in the model pic? It looks as though they are pulling, not sure, I know this is just preliminary.

You will also probably need some cross members to stiffen it up a bit and will give you the compartments your looking for, like the PSU area or the external 5.25" bays.

I'm really excited to see where this goes it looks to be a sizable case! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 am 

Thanks for the post Wicked_smart. I am not planning on putting a second skin on the mid section, but there will defiantly be some aesthetic features added mainly perforations and cutouts. The fans are pulling; it easier to pull the air through the radiators than push. The design might change a little, but I think I like the arrangement. I defiantly need more cross members; when I put more of the internal structure in it will stiffen up considerably, also I am making it out of .0751 and .165 thick 304 stainless steel, so when everything is said on done it will be extremely ridged.
Right now the case is 30 inches deep, 10 inches wide, and probably around 26 inches tall. Its big :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:49 pm 

I did a little more work over the weekend, so I thought I would post some pictures. Still a long way to go, but moving forward.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Wow that is nice I like it! :twisted:
What are you stuffing in the top? PSU?
Are you doing this entirely in SS or are you going to use aluminum?
How are the panels going to be affixed to one another? Welding or rivets?
Were you thinking of doing a slide out MB tray?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm 

Thanks man :D
I was thinking about mounting the motherboard vertically with the cables coming out of the top, but the more I think about it, it seems like the most efficient use of space would be to put the PSU up there…not sure what else—hard drives, reservoirs, or duel slot load drives.
Almost all of the case will be SS, there might be some aluminum pieces, but I need to be careful about cathodic reactions—ran into problems with this before.
I am going to use MS hardware and captive fasteners for everything. The entire case will be able to be disassembled; I will be able to change it in the future that way.
Not sure about the motherboard tray yet, but I was thinking about mounting it on a sliding rail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:54 pm 

I have been working on the design for the past couple of days (had Friday off) and I think I have finally figured out the motherboard IO…it was a pain in the a**. When I make the motherboard IO panel and verify it works I will post up the drawings for it. I have never seen a real set of drawings for one. There is an AutoCAD sketch posted on the forum but it is a little bit off. Here are the pics from the work: