Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help Completing My Mod
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm 

So here it is. I got this wonderful PC I just built, taking inspiration from the many projects on these forums, this is probably my cleanest build to date. My PC is a Battlestar Galactica Cylon theme with one crucial component missing... the chasing LED circuit.

I've scoured the interwebs and thought I had found my solution here. Just one problem, "PRODUCT NO LONGER MANUFACTURERD". So pleading with the company has yielded me zero results. Here are some pics of the product.

Front

Back

This was the perfect size product for this particular project. Has anyone come across a similar product?

During my search I came across a great DiY project here. I was considering this route but I don't have the tools to make my own circuit board. If anyone knows of simple at home methods to make the circuit board, that is welcome too.

Thanks to everyone for any help given, and happy modding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

You could likely have the guys at Dragonmodz do one up for ya if you can't do it yourself. They make some kickass stuff like that all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm 

Wow, that's a really nice site, thanks for the tip. I think I will try to complete the mod myself, using the hard drive activity as the chaser circuit. I'm sure if I just left the circuit on all the time, the novelty of it would fade, but if it scanned only when the PC was "thinking" I don't know, it might up my geek cred +10 and leave my friends green with envy.

The prices for the components on this site look better than what I've priced at my local Radio Shack (no I'm not gonna call it "The Shack" :P) so I'll probably use it for the parts I need.

Someone shot me a link to a DiY PCB Guide which has swayed my decision. I used to make circuit boards in my Electronics class in high school, but we used professional equipment. I wasn't aware you could make boards of this quality from home. I could try using a project board, but it's a tight squeeze where I would be placing it. If I crash and burn with this, I'll just give Dragonmodz a ring. :)

So has anyone used this or similar methods for your own circuit boards?