Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cool power switch idea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Heres my idea let me know what you think and if it will work:
My computer is on my desk at the other end of my bedroom(i have a long skinny room). My idea is to splice into the wires going form the mobo to the power button on the case and connect them to a button near my light switch on the wall in the entrance to my room. I plan on leaving the case button working so i can turn it on from the case too.

Heres why i want it:
so when i come home from work or school i can turn it on when i walkin the room and i can change clothes and when i go to sit down at my desk its allready booted and going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:39 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

http://www.trianglecables.com/atxcaspusbut.html

buy a $4 switch and some wire and find out =)

believe it might just be crazy enough to work...or you could turn on light walk over push button come back :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:43 am 
Team Member
Team Member

good idea, but im thinking it mite me a problem but im not sure, i know when i push the power button on my gateway rustbox, press it once and w2k shuts down, but only in like 2 seconds as opposed to the standard miniute it usualy takes, so what im thinking is if u did that it mite work but if it were to shut down like that then stuff wouldnt save, like settings and so forth, u mite think what does the computer need to save b4 it shuts down well it can agrivate u after long when stuff you modiys is unmodifyed and stuff

i dunno what the setup may be, u mite need to make it so flipping the swich activates a normal shutdown sequence, or basicly have a setup in the old AT mobos, where u shut down but then ud get a screen saying "it is now safe to turn your computer off" screen we all remeber that

but im not sure onto what the situation is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:07 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Clap on, Clap off...

Seriously, I'm not digging it. It'll function, but it's a lot of work to get out of a couple steps in your day. And to get it looking good (I would in my own home's structure!), it'll be permanent.

And..
Quote:
when i push the power button on my gateway rustbox, press it once and w2k shuts down, but only in like 2 seconds as opposed to the standard miniute it usualy takes
That's Hibernating / Sleep Mode.

Leave it on Folding all day. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just have the monitor go to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Chumly wrote:
Clap on, Clap off...

Seriously, I'm not digging it. It'll function, but it's a lot of work to get out of a couple steps in your day. And to get it looking good (I would in my own home's structure!), it'll be permanent.

And..
Quote:
when i push the power button on my gateway rustbox, press it once and w2k shuts down, but only in like 2 seconds as opposed to the standard miniute it usualy takes
That's Hibernating / Sleep Mode.

Leave it on Folding all day. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just have the monitor go to sleep.

it acualy turns the computer off, i dont think its hibernating because ive never seen any indications of it saying that it is going into hibernation mode

Post subject: Re: cool power switch idea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:08 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

sflshooter wrote:
Heres my idea let me know what you think and if it will work:
My computer is on my desk at the other end of my bedroom(i have a long skinny room). My idea is to splice into the wires going form the mobo to the power button on the case and connect them to a button near my light switch on the wall in the entrance to my room. I plan on leaving the case button working so i can turn it on from the case too.

Heres why i want it:
so when i come home from work or school i can turn it on when i walkin the room and i can change clothes and when i go to sit down at my desk its allready booted and going.

It will work. Get a doorbell button from HomeDepot or Lowe's and some #24-26 white speaker wire.