Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wavemaster cooling problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:32 pm 

After much debating, I finally decided to get a CM Wavemaster case for my new comp. I know that this case has problems with cooling, so I was wondering how I would install a second 80mm fan directly above or below the rear outtake fan and/or a bottom intake/outake fan. Which would be better? Which would be easier? Which makes more sense? Thank you in advanced for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:10 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am not sure what you are saying here. I have a Wave Master and have no trouble what so ever cooling the case. I even removed the 2 front 80mm fans, although I do have 2 80mm fans mounted on the side panel.

I run the machine all day with only the fans on the CPU (a 80mm Hyper 6 cooling a Prescott 3.2), the video card (9800 Pro stock fan), the PSU (120mm CM Real Power 450W) and the rear 80mm exhaust fan. I cut venting/circulation holes in the bottom of the case, covering them with foam filter (same stuff dirt bikers use in their helmets and oil/air filters). The 2 fans on the side panel and one in the top panel stay off.

This machine also has 1GB RAM, 2 large HDDs, an optical drive and a number of LEDs, which all contribute higher temps.

On warm days or under stress, I turn the other 3 fans on too. It's still very quiet and I have never had any heat problems. Of course, I am not a gamer -- never play games -- so your mileage may vary.

If you really need to increase air flow, you can get fans that provide more CFM (cubic feet per minute). You might also want to consider water cooling as an alternative.

Grump, The Mad Modder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:26 am 

Alright, well, thank you for the input. I really appretiate it. I guess I will try out my configuration first to see if I have any cooling problems before I try modding my case. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:56 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I have this case too and don't have problems. Will you be using the top sound port? You can put another fan there, most people do. You can also get a kit to cut out the side or back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:22 pm 

yeah, i was planning on adding the fan in the top of the case. I didn't know there were kits for changing the fan locations in the back. By chance, would you have any idea where to get a kit and a pic of what it looks like? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:02 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

IIRC, its overclockers who have problems with cooling that case.

I would do what you said - try it first, then see if it needs help.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:18 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Last I saw Comp USA had kits. Try the top fan 1st, you really shouldn't have any problems. Why mod the case if you don't have to?

You can also buy a side window & mod that with a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:53 am 

I have a CM Yellow Wavemaster with a plexi window in the side.
You should try installing the top fan and taking out the USB out of the top if you didnt already.
It brought my temps down 3 degrees F.
I'm running a 3800+ AMD 64 with a 6800GT Ultra 2GB of ram, 3 optical drives and 4 harddrives, my inner case temps never go past 20c and my cpu never past 28c.

good luck with the modding! :D