Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Case painting, motherboard stand offs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:48 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
To save money on a $800 or less build Im going to use an old ATX case from years ago. Id like any tips on painting it a flat black color.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060283.jpg

Its basically a good case, its just looks old. painting it will help out its looks a lot. I need to paint plastic and metal.

I was thinking about using this stuff. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... G_0794.jpg
not sure how good it is for this though.

Also if anyone knows anything about these odd motherboard stand off please let me know. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060293.jpg I am missing ONE and it is preventing me from being able to get a full atx board. This tray uses two different kinds of stands offs the usual ones and these, no idea why. I have seen different sizes and don't really know what this size is. It may be the medium. I could never find the right one. Id like to just replace the motherboard tray...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
For the paint question:
with a fine-grain sandpaper, rough up any smooth surfaces a bit. Then apply primer, and once that's dried and been sanded, use some flat black Krylon spray paint- it should be easy to get a nice, even coat.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
Spartacus wrote:
For the paint question:
with a fine-grain sandpaper, rough up any smooth surfaces a bit. Then apply primer, and once that's dried and been sanded, use some flat black Krylon spray paint- it should be easy to get a nice, even coat.

Thanks.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
Do i also primer the inside of the case?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:09 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am
Posts: 1998
I wouldnt worry about one standoff. just scope it out and figure out where it will be least useful. ie you need em in corners and areas were there are high insertion force cards and such but not needed near SATA ports.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:50 am 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
CharBroiled wrote:
I wouldnt worry about one standoff. just scope it out and figure out where it will be least useful. ie you need em in corners and areas were there are high insertion force cards and such but not needed near SATA ports.

Thanks,but I was told a long time ago that not having a stand off somewhere might short secret the board. Well im going to be getting a micro atx board I guess anyway. Cheapest board I can find.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
Aspra wrote:
Do i also primer the inside of the case?

It depends. Krylon doesn't need primer to get a pretty good coat, and if you're afraid that the thickness of the paint will make stuff not fit (for example, if drives are already a tight fit in the bays), then I wouldn't. But where the mobo goes and areas where stuff doesn't have to fit very accurately I would still prime it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:36 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am
Posts: 1998
Aspra wrote:
Thanks,but I was told a long time ago that not having a stand off somewhere might short secret the board. Well im going to be getting a micro atx board I guess anyway. Cheapest board I can find.


an extra standoff can short a mobo. a missing one wont. just makes it a bit less stable when inserting cards and such. the mobo would be off at that time anyway.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 958
i used Plasti-Dip for the inside of my case. I didn't use any prep coats of primer or anything. Just washed it and hung dry the pieces. I liked the Plasti-Dip, because if i messed up, i could peel it off and try again :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
Im just going to do the outer shell for now, this is just temporary. Ill post after pics of the case when im done. Don't aspect perfection lol.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
Here are some pics of the progress.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060296.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060309.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060307.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060302.jpg
Still need some paint in the front and some touches here are there. I am probable not going to keep the front blue part blue. Doesn't look good. Any suggestions? I was going to put red LED fans in it so I was thinking a dark red. Or just black.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
looks good. Paint that front panel red and add red LED fans to it. That would look great.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
yeah, im probably going to do that. Although if I have more black left I may just cheap out and do it black too.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
Here are the finished pics.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060311.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060310.jpg

The white drive is a great old PATA CD/DVD R/RW. Cant see me not using it, still works. It will be black sooner or later.

Doesn't look great by any stretch but I kind of like that it looks rough around the edges. Scuffs and scratches that will no doubt happen will add to that. And yes I cheaped out and just used black for the middle. It may turn red, it may not.

Thanks for the input.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:41 am
Posts: 935
Location: Califorina
Aspra wrote:
Here are the finished pics.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060311.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... 060310.jpg

The white drive is a great old PATA CD/DVD R/RW. Cant see me not using it, still works. It will be black sooner or later.

Doesn't look great by any stretch but I kind of like that it looks rough around the edges. Scuffs and scratches that will no doubt happen will add to that. And yes I cheaped out and just used black for the middle. It may turn red, it may not.

Thanks for the input.


Looks very good for the Paint Job.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 1917
One thing why did you not paint the inside?It would look alot better if you did IMHO.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Jacksonville
killerxx7 wrote:
One thing why did you not paint the inside?It would look alot better if you did IMHO.

I might, I might not. This is really just a cheap way to get a decent looking case. Saving me around 80 dollars off my build. I may get a new case in the future so I didn't really concentrate on the looks of the inside. Yes though the inside would most deferentially look better black. That is one of my most important criteria for the new case I will get.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 1917
Aspra wrote:
killerxx7 wrote:
One thing why did you not paint the inside?It would look alot better if you did IMHO.

I might, I might not. This is really just a cheap way to get a decent looking case. Saving me around 80 dollars off my build. I may get a new case in the future so I didn't really concentrate on the looks of the inside. Yes though the inside would most deferentially look better black. That is one of my most important criteria for the new case I will get.


I see :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group