Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Main rig- cable management plus a utlitarian mod.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:45 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Well, first I'll brag about something dandy I modded. :wink: Now while I mod the crap out of cases that aren't my main case, I leave my main rig's case mostly intact, but I did add in some necessary mods and got pretty nice cable management going.
here's an overview of the PC. the original case had the fan in the center, but the Dark Knight was too tall for it to fit there, so I made a new window in it with the fan out of the way, and it's blowing into the video card and so is better positioned anyways. You can also see the coolpix reflected in the window and half my body. For some reason I look really fat in that reflection, which I'm definitely not... move along... :lol:
Here it is on. Blue LED lighting, nothing interesting, move along...
Now, with the case sitting next to the monitor, those flashy LED "eyes" were extremely annoying when I tried to watch a movie. So I added a switch:
on:
off:
anyways, I'm done bragging, especially about such a minor mod. If you have any comments or suggestions about it, feel free to post them. What I came here to look for feedback on was the wiring job. It's pretty alright, but I'm sure I could do more:
overview of the visible wiring.
Drilled holes so I could use zip-ties to gather up the wires as they come out of the PSU.
overview of how I hid the wires. One of the fans and the front LED's are hooked up back there, and I hid some nasty patched wires back there- the rest are just unused leads.
Suggestions/comments would be appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:25 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You should paint the inside a gloss black to start and cut a hole for all those cables running from your psu to go behind the mobo tray.
Or if you feel like spending alot of time making it look good braiding every wire in the atx 24 pin and the pci-e cable with black braiding and heat shrink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:31 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

killerxx7 wrote:
You should paint the inside a gloss black to start and cut a hole for all those cables running from your psu to go behind the mobo tray.
Or if you feel like spending alot of time making it look good braiding every wire in the atx 24 pin and the pci-e cable with black braiding and heat shrink.

glossy black is not my favorite. Every tiny little blemish looks like crap. But I might paint it matte black. As for running behind the mobo tray, I tried that and there's not enough room back there- even a molex connector barely fits under the back panel unfortunately. I'll see what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:19 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Spartacus wrote:
killerxx7 wrote:

glossy black is not my favorite. Every tiny little blemish looks like crap. But I might paint it matte black. As for running behind the mobo tray, I tried that and there's not enough room back there- even a molex connector barely fits under the back panel unfortunately. I'll see what I can do.

Matt black is a pain to get dust off it just sticks to it like glue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

textured matte has that problem. My brother's case is painted with textured matte black, and dust buildup is only a minor problem in a carpeted room. My case's outside is smooth matte black and dust buildup has never been an issue in a carpeted room. I really just hate how bad glossy black looks. If even some dust gets under the paint job it looks terrible. I'd only do glossy if I had an airbrush available to me and if I knew how to properly use it- which I don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Spartacus wrote:
textured matte has that problem. My brother's case is painted with textured matte black, and dust buildup is only a minor problem in a carpeted room. My case's outside is smooth matte black and dust buildup has never been an issue in a carpeted room. I really just hate how bad glossy black looks. If even some dust gets under the paint job it looks terrible. I'd only do glossy if I had an airbrush available to me and if I knew how to properly use it- which I don't.

Its whatever you like in the end of the day,but i cant stand plane gray insides they make the rest of the rig look boring lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:39 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I've been staring at your pics all day since I decided on keeping my current case - which is the same as yours, and am trying to do some cable management. Man putting in the hardrive the other way has me shocked...its so simple but clears up so many wires...you're a beast!!! Where can I buy some tubing like the one you are using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

that tubing stuff looks like the stuff i got from radioshack for my monitor cables...

Split Cable Tubing:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103809
*i am guessing they used the 1/2" maybe

i like the management. i painted the inside of my case with a few coats of PlastiDip, for a slight (very slight) noise reduction and electrically grounded inside, with the added benefit of seeing dust and easy reapplication should it peel in high-traffic areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

iPood wrote:
I've been staring at your pics all day since I decided on keeping my current case - which is the same as yours, and am trying to do some cable management. Man putting in the hardrive the other way has me shocked...its so simple but clears up so many wires...you're a beast!!! Where can I buy some tubing like the one you are using?

The tubing is indeed split cable tubing. I got mine from Lowe's, but I know Home Depot has it and just about any hardware store around you probably has it. I think the main problem with the cabling in the case was there was no way to gather the cables right as they came out of the PSU- they would just explode all over the case. Drilling holes in the top of the motherboard tray, running zip ties through them, and gathering the cables right as they came out of the PSU rendered the most noticeable improvement in cabling. Also, take note that turning the hard drive the other way causes it to stick out a lot more, so if you've got it close to a video card, make sure it'll still fit. I'm going to paint the inside of the case black as soon as I finish the case mod I'm currently working on- I like to take things one at a time.