Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual Boot problem
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi, I followed the article on http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vist ... htm?page=4

but I have one exception. The system in question is a 1TB Caviar Green, with an AMD 4000+ X2, Asus VM8 MB with 2GB ram. I had the system installed with Vista 1st and the tech assembling it created a split partition ~490 ish per so I could install XP Pro on the other side.

I followed the article, and upon restart instead of "A disk read error occurred – press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue" I just had error loading OS. I restarted, put the Vista Ultimate DVD in, and ran the repair. 1st try it detected the corrupted bootloader. But upon restarting, same message of error loading OS. I ran the repair from the Vista DVD, and it says it doesn't detect any errors.

I shoulda just had XP pro put in first, but is there anything I can do to recover? This is a brand new config, so I'm not worried about recovering data as there's nothing there except the OS.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You're saying you ran a repair, but the article describes just restoring the Vista bootloader

Do you even see the Vista bootloader with the two choices of XP and Vista?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

No, as I stated, upon restart, all I get is "error loading os" then it just sits there til I restart.

Just a few min ago, I booted from the XP cd, and deleted the partition that I had just installed XP on. So I'm going to start over, by following the article, unless someone has another suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Install XP first then Vista, Vista should pick up the XP install and make a boot loader for it.

If you are getting errors when loading operating systems, run Memtest86+ on one stick at a time to see if the ram is bad.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

FenixSS wrote:
No, as I stated, upon restart, all I get is "error loading os" then it just sits there til I restart.

We undertsand the error, at which point it was occuring was unclear.

FenixSS wrote:
Just a few min ago, I booted from the XP cd, and deleted the partition that I had just installed XP on. So I'm going to start over, by following the article, unless someone has another suggestion.

I'd say you're missing a step or aren't keeping track of where you installed the device too and you just need to change your boot order.

What does it matter, you're reinstalling anyways :)