Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC won't turn on.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I had a Computer that was acting crazy. Now I bought a new barebones kit. I hooked everything up. I did use the powersupply from the previous PC (PC Power & Cooling 500W) and the previous PC was turning on.

However now that I have this new machine all wired up, the Mobo is showing power to it, and the lan port is lit up. However.. the power button won't kick on.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =B69-00262

Is the bundle I used. With a

PC Power & Cooling 500W Silencer MKII
and a

Radeon HD 5770. I took the Video card out and hooked up on board just to get it out of the way but it still won't kick on.

Any Idea's?

Post subject: Re: PC won't turn on.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Check your case to wire motherboard connections.

Make sure the standoffs with which the motherboard mounts to the case are all brass, which is non-conductive.

Use a different PSU power cord.

Ensure your CPU is properly seated.

Does the computer give any beeps when you try and start it? You may need an external speaker hooked up to the motherboard if one isn't on the motherboard and one isn't part of the case, to hear the beeps.

Check back in and let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quakindude wrote:
Check your case to wire motherboard connections. Checked, wired up as mobo book states.

Make sure the standoffs with which the motherboard mounts to the case are all brass, which is non-conductive. All Brass.

Use a different PSU power cord. Tried.

Ensure your CPU is properly seated. Re-seated perfectly.

Does the computer give any beeps when you try and start it? You may need an external speaker hooked up to the motherboard if one isn't on the motherboard and one isn't part of the case, to hear the beeps. Hooked up the ext speaker that came with the case, no beeps or any noise.

Check back in and let us know.

Can a PSU still be dead even if the Standby light on the MObo + Lan lights are on? There's just 0 response to the power button being pressed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If could also mean your power button broke. To check if the power supply turns on, disconnect it completely from the system, switch it off (the actual switch), put a paper clip from the green wire (there's only one) to any one of the black wires, plug it into the wall (not the PC), and switch it on again.

If it turns on, then try taking a jumper and replacing it where the power button is on the front panel header after everything is connected up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
If could also mean your power button broke. To check if the power supply turns on, disconnect it completely from the system, switch it off (the actual switch), put a paper clip from the green wire (there's only one) to any one of the black wires, plug it into the wall (not the PC), and switch it on again.

If it turns on, then try taking a jumper and replacing it where the power button is on the front panel header after everything is connected up

I know this is going to sound a bit noobish, but could you go a little more in depth?

I disconnect all the internal connections for the Power Supply. Turn the switch on the back to off. Put a paper clip from the green wire to a black one. Plug it back in the wall, and turn the switch on.

Correct?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yes, exactly. You should probably take the PSU out of the case too.

There's something else you could probably do, but I don't know how helpful it'll be (or if you have a means to do it). You can measure the voltage from the gray wire and see it it remains at about 5V. If it's not at 5V, the PSU is telling you it's bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
Yes, exactly. You should probably take the PSU out of the case too.

There's something else you could probably do, but I don't know how helpful it'll be (or if you have a means to do it). You can measure the voltage from the gray wire and see it it remains at about 5V. If it's not at 5V, the PSU is telling you it's bad.

Unless that Thermaltake 500W was bad also it's not a PSU problem. I plugged it in and up and still nothing. No attempt to kick on.. no flutter of fans.. nothing.

I'm beginning to think this Mobo might be DoA... 2 PSU's, No attempt to "Turn over" or "Kick on"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Did you try shorting the pins where the power button connects to on the front panel header?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
Did you try shorting the pins where the power button connects to on the front panel header?

How?

I don't have any spare jumpers :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Paper clip works.

None of those lines are live (except the LEDs, but I'm sure you have those plugged in)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
Paper clip works.

None of those lines are live (except the LEDs, but I'm sure you have those plugged in)

so touch a paperclip to both Power pins and see if it kicks on?

If it does?

if It doesn't?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:25 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Stupid me. I threw in the thermaltake, jumped the pins, said "Oh it works" threw the old PSU back in and tried to jump the pins. No luck.

Reinstalled the TT PSU and whalah... Power Switch works. Oi vey.