Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High Temps While Gaming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm 

Within the last two weeks or so, whenever I play Borderlands 2 my liquid cooler (not sure if it is the pump or the fans) starts whining loudly after about 20 minutes. I have an i7 3770K at stock speeds (3.5 Ghz), an Antec Kuhler 920 and an Antec 902 case, which is well ventilated. The room temp is approximately 68-70 degrees. In that 20 minute span, the CPU temp is jumping 40+ degrees (from 45 C to 88 C) and the liquid temp is jumping about 20 degrees (from 32.2 C to 55 C). Now, admittedly, I have no idea if these are normal temp increases, but considering that I'm not overclocking, I'm a bit nervous. I have screen shots for folks to look at, but I can't seem to get them to upload.

Is this just a case of the thermal paste that was pre-applied to the cooling plate getting dried out and needing some new thermal compound, or does this sound like a problem with the cooler? Thanks in advance and please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Post subject: Re: High Temps While Gaming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

45C for an idling, water cooled CPU in a 20C environment is probably my first alarm that something is either wrong with the cooler or the thermal interface material. I have an AIO water cooler and it can keep my processor at about 35C in a 25C environment.

Reapply the thermal paste first. If that doesn't work, then replace the cooler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:48 am 

Thanks, Latios. Any recommendations on compound? I was thinking about going for a ceramic compound. I've never done this, so I'm nervous about something that's conductive in case I mess up. Or Arctic Silver 5, which I know I can find fairly easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'd say find AC5. Sure there are better compounds, but AC5 has pretty much been the bog standard for years for good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:41 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I would also make sure your BIOS settings have the pump and fans running properly. Your water temp rising so much leads me to think there is decent enough contact although, reapplying the TIM is a good thing to do as well.

Also, ensure your radiator isn't clogged up with dust and such. If you can't see through it, then air cannot pass through either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kevt13 wrote:
Within the last two weeks or so, whenever I play Borderlands 2 my liquid cooler (not sure if it is the pump or the fans) starts whining loudly after about 20 minutes. I have an i7 3770K at stock speeds (3.5 Ghz), an Antec Kuhler 920

In testing I've run AIO cooler without any thermal interface material applied to a much hotter running i7-3930K & had better results, so I really don't think it's a tim problem, but it's always worth the try. It's also slightly possible that over time the pump vibration may have loosened (very slightly) one or more of the retaining screws causing part of the cooler to pull away from the CPU which would definitely results in overheating.

Check out this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzAmhlYXQmA if the noise is similar to what you hear in the video, it's probably the pump going bad & time for a different cooler. If not, the fan that comes with the Kuhler 920 is one of the loudest on the market at full speed @ ~57dBa at 1 foot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBImHkwCLJ8 - jump to about the 3 minute mark to hear the Kuhler 920 fan at max.

IMO, If it does turn out to be the 920, then just replace it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which has better performance & is quieter than several of the AIO water coolers on the market & with a second 120mm fan added, handles overclocking my i7-3930k to 4.4GHz better than my old Corsair H100 did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 pm 

First off, thanks everyone!!

I just applied the Arctic Silver 5 and have been up and running about 40 minutes now. The temps are higher than they had been, but I know it takes a while for the paste to settle in (at least according to their website). I'll let it rest overnight and see what happens when I fire it up in the morning.

I also made sure to blow everything out and get rid of the little bit of dust that was there.

Chaos, that second video was EXACTLY the sound I was hearing. The pump itself sounds fine; no clicking at all.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

kevt13 wrote:
First off, thanks everyone!!

I just applied the Arctic Silver 5 and have been up and running about 40 minutes now. The temps are higher than they had been, but I know it takes a while for the paste to settle in (at least according to their website). I'll let it rest overnight and see what happens when I fire it up in the morning.

I also made sure to blow everything out and get rid of the little bit of dust that was there.

Chaos, that second video was EXACTLY the sound I was hearing. The pump itself sounds fine; no clicking at all.

Thanks again!

The paste "settling in", also known as curing, will only mean a temp difference of 2-3°C.

IF that.

You really need to check your BIOS as I mentioned previously. Barring that, the pump is likely bad. No reason whatsoever for your temps to be that high with that ambient temp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 am 

Yeah, looks like the pump is done. I checked the BIOS settings and everything was okay. I guess I'll dig out the stock heat sink and throw that on till I can get the Hyper 212.

Thanks again, everyone!!