Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am 

I am trying to fix a strange "rubber band" type lag/ stutter i get in Team Fortress 2. happens in multiple servers (so its not the server i side i assume) My ping is also very low on the servers this has happened on.

My hardware has been upgraded recently (AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black, Nvidia GTX 275 and 2 new gigs of ram) and has all passed extensive third party stress tests (twice) also.

I do not run anti virus (as i don't use my gaming rig to surf the net) so this isn't interfering with steam.

Researching the issue on steam it says that the Nvidia Intelligent Application Manager might be the cause of the issue and tells me to uninstall it. Before i do so id like to know a. what is this for (there must be a reason they have it) and b. is it ok for me to uninstall it as they suggest?

here is the link to steam where they give this advice:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -TUJL-7421

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
Nvidia Intelligent Application Manager
Is part of the Nvidia Firewall. If you are running the Nvidia firewall leave it be.

Playing multiplayer games on the net and no anti-virus is just asking for a virus. Install the free version of AVG, fully update it and run it.

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-v ... ee-edition

Another good program to have is the free version of superantispyware.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Install it, update it and run it.

Is the upgrade you did using the same motherboard with the 940 installed? Or is this a new motherboard as well? If it is did you format the drive and do a fresh install of windows? If you didn't, this is why you are getting the lag.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:43 am 

thanks. yes its a new MB as well.

I did have AVG installed before however this was also on steam's problem application list so i removed it. there was no easy way to disable it from what i saw so i simply uninstalled it.

What would happen if i chose not to use Nvida firewall?

steam seems pretty adamant according to that link above that the Intelligent Application Manager should be removed as it can interfere with TF2 performance (which i find strange since Nvida should know that many people use their computers for Steam applications). you would think they would try to resolve any issues with a driver update or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you do a fresh install of windows after moving to the new motherboard? If you did not do a fresh install of windows you will have a lot of lag and there is no way to fix it.

I run Steam and I use AVG free for anti-virus and Zonealarm free for a firewall and have absolutely no problems running Steam or any game I have on Steam.

If you run your computer on Steam you need a good Anti-virus and a good Firewall because you are on the net!!

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 pm 

yes i did fresh install of my OS. all other applications run perfectly

I will get AV thanks for the advice. lets set aside that now.

i certainly would like an answer from anyone on my original questions however. Id like to remove this application as steam suggests and i am wondering what it does and what downside there is to removing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:21 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Just follow the instructions in the link you provided and see if it fixes the issue. If it don't, you can always install it again. If you are worried, always make a restore point before modifying the system.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:55 am 

thanks. i removed it and will see how that works out.

Post subject: Re: Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 am 

I had the same problem as I have a HP COMPAQ Tower PC built around the Asustek M2N68-LA (Narra3) motherboard which unfortunatly has a built in Hardware Firewall that comes up before the OS actually boots therefore I decided to get rid of MS Windows and install UBUNTU 12.04LTS initally but moved to Linux Mint 16 (Petra) 64bit MATE edition and haven't looked back and I don't have the problem with the HARDWARE firewall anymore. :D

Post subject: Re: Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 am 

Update I am now using Linux Mint 17 MATE (Qiana) 64bit and still no problems except for a problem with the kernel which causes the Hard-Drive Led to stay of constantly instead of flickering every so often and I have said to other people on the Linux Forums and they have told me to remove the Hard-Drive activity LED. If you guys are having problems and don't want to install AVG then why not Install Linux Mint 17 MATE 64bit and I can garentee that you will not move back to MS Windows, STEAM is available for UBUNTU 14.04 64bit and probably available for Linux Mint 17 MATE or Linux Mint 17 CINNAMON 64bit. (:-D)