Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: format usb key for driver disk
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm 

Just built a pc, want to put windows 7 RC in RAID 0. The info with the motherboard (ASUS M4A79T deluxe) says I need to make a driver disk. I don't have a floppy, so I tried copying the drivers to USB key. Changed BIOS boot priority to the USB key, but keep getting "no bootable partition in table". :?
Then I read the guide to install Win 7 on USB key. Said I needed to format the key. Followed tips to format, but in command prompt when I am in the disk partition manager and I type list disk, it only lists my hard drives, not the thumb drive. :(

Can anyone help? Incidentally, I'm doing this on my XP 32bit computer... don't know if I need to do anything different or not.
Thanks!

EDIT: I tried to install Win 7, then plug in the USB with the drivers on it. Windows asked for the drivers, I browsed, pointed to them, and clicked next to install. Took a bit, then said, "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media." No idea what to do now.

Last edited by fish94 on Sat May 16, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:13 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

You should be able to do just that "Make a drivers disk" by burning the drivers needed to a cd. Then start your install from your Windos 7 RC disk and when the time comes remove the Windows 7 disk and insert the disk containing the drivers. Once they load you remove the drivers disk andreplace the Windows 7 disk to continue the install.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:07 pm 

Reloadron wrote:
You should be able to do just that "Make a drivers disk" by burning the drivers needed to a cd. Then start your install from your Windos 7 RC disk and when the time comes remove the Windows 7 disk and insert the disk containing the drivers. Once they load you remove the drivers disk andreplace the Windows 7 disk to continue the install.

Ron

Hmmm, didn't work. When I browse for the drivers in setup, the DVD player is not there as an option. Oddly, when I tried to use the thumb drive, the DVD player was there...
Any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

OK, I am missing something here. Reading this:

Quote:
Just built a pc, want to put windows 7 RC in RAID 0. The info with the motherboard (ASUS M4A79T deluxe) says I need to make a driver disk. I don't have a floppy, so I tried copying the drivers to USB key. Changed BIOS boot priority to the USB key, but keep getting "no bootable partition in table".

You want your BIOS set to boot from your optical drive. You should be able to place the Windows 7 disk in the optical drive and the system should boot from the disk. Assuming that works Windows should start to load.

Now I assume you have already set up a RAID array as you mention RAID 0.

So the Windows 7 install should begin and you will get a prompt to install drivers. At that point you should be able to remove the Windows 7 disk and insert the disk you created with the drivers on it.

You also mention XP? You are installing Windows 7 on a machine with an XP install already on it? Now if that is the case are you starting the Windows 7 install from within XP or are you booting from the Windows 7 disk?

I am currently running Windows 7 BETA in the 32 and 64 bit versions on my test box. Later today if I have time I hope to make a few RC disk for 32 & 64 bit versions of the RC and install them. Maybe I'll setup a RAID array and try what I have suggested.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:29 am 

No, XP is on my other computer (the one I'm using to write this)... I mentioned that because I was trying to format the thumb drive to NTFS as suggested in an article. Then I was told that I needed FAT, and since it is already in FAT, I stopped worrying about that and just tried to install Windows. It would see the drivers on the thumb drive, even naming them AMD RAID console. However, when I clicked "next" to install, I got the "No new devices could be found" error. I don't know if it installed them and was looking for something else, or if it just didn't work.
So then I tried burning to a cd as you suggested, and when I got to the part where it asked for the drivers, I put the cd in... but it never showed up in the places to browse. Hope all this makes a bit more sense. I don't know what to do now. :?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I changed the BIOS to see the RAID array. It is seeing everything as it should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

I don't know what to tell you? I did go ahead and do the installs of Win 7 RC in the 32 & 64 bit versions, This time I added a few SATA drives and created two arrays using the Intel Matrix. Using 4 drives I setup two RAID1 arrays.

First install was Windows7 32 bit and I had all my drivers on a CD. Win 7 began the load and found both arrays and prompted wher to install. I never needed the drivers I made. I let it install and it promptly went online and got updates.

Next I started the Win 7 64 bit install. It went flawless and after install it also got updates.

Additionally I had a pair of drives under the Silicon Image controller and both installs saw that array. I never even needed the drivers disk I created. Windows 7 has a pretty robust driver collection.

I assume you have Vista drivers for the RAID array and the drivers are for the correct 64 bit system you are trying to install?

Maybe someone else has a thought?

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:04 pm 

Ok, I'm a complete idiot. Before any of the error messages it specifically states that a CD/DVD device driver is missing. It's not looking for the RAID drivers at all! Well, I'm still having a problem. Microsoft's support site says to change the controller from AHCI to IDE or ATA because the DVD player is not compatible with Microsoft's AHCI driver. Well, it's not on AHCI, it's on RAID. And if I change it to anything else, then obviously I can't use RAID! I tried looking for drivers for the DVD player (Samsung SH-S223F) but can only find firmware update. That's a .exe, and Windows won't recognize it as a driver (probably because it's not). Any ideas? Thanks for the help you have already given, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:21 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

:lol: OK, I won't even tell you some of the things I managed to do because I misread an error or prompt. :lol:

This is just one of those things that are a result of the setup. To have RAID you need to configure SATA as RAID. This gets like a catch 22. Then you get the error. Take a look at your motherboard manual. Exactly how are your drives configured and how many SATA ports do you have? Reason for asking is some motherboards like the one in my example offer maybe 8 SATA ports under 2 controllers. Also, is your optical(s) SATA or PATA?

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:27 am 

I googled the exact error I got and found several cases of the issue being an error burning the Win 7 ISO to DVD. I'll try reburning tonight when I get home from work. Thought I'd try formatting the USB thumb drive again last night so that I could bypass the CD/DVD driver issue. Well, I was able to format to NTFS, but my computer will not recognize the thumb in diskpart. It shows up when I "list volume", but not "list disk". Tried to clean by selecting volume instead of disk, but it said no disk selected. So I can't figure out how to make the damn thing bootable! :evil: I get the feeling somebody is behind a two way mirror stopping every attempt of mine, and laughing at me.
As for my setup, I have 5 SATA ports on my ASUS M4A79T Deluxe. Three are being used... 2 for the WD black 500gb, and the third is my optical (TSST SH-223F). I set up the RAID as the motherboard manual suggested, checked the RAID set up and it reads as having the drives, and that they are functional. Well, if there's a positive here, I'm learning a lot... I just hope it doesn't force me to start taking antidepressants... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:58 am 

Looking at the manual for that motherboard it does not appear that raid can be enabled and disabled on individual sata ports, only enable or disable on all ports at the same time. If this is the case you will be unable to load a driver for your raid controller because your Windows 7 install DVD has booted from that controller. Normally on an nvidia or Intel board, you would enable raid only on the SATA ports you hard drives are connected to and leave the ports for the optical drive with raid turned off. Our shop actually stopped using this particular series of motherboards for this exact problem. In this case you will need to install from a PATA DVD, a USB DVD, or install from a flash drive as detailed here http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:21 am 

I see. I tried installing by flash drive as listed by the same link you gave, but can't get diskpart to recognize my flash drive. I'm on XP 32, and I read that it sometimes won't recognize until converted to NTFS. Well, even after converting, mine won't show it under list disk. It will under list volume, though. Can't complete the steps to make it bootable though, without having it listed as a disk (unless there is a work around). I'm beyond frustrated... my nice new build is sitting there like an expensive, and quite heavy paperweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 am 

Quickest solution would be find a local computer shop and see if they have a used PATA DVD-ROM. You can usually pick them up for 10-15 used.

You could also create a vista pe disc (http://www.vistape.net/), boot from that and format your flash drive from there. Since the live cd is based on vista, its version of diskpart should work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:17 am 

When I get home tonight I'll try transferring the DVD player from my other computer and see if that works. I really wish I had known some of this in advance... I think my build would have changed a bit. Thanks very much to both you and Reloadron for all your help. I'll post later tonight to update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:20 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Let us know how it goes. I feel for ya man.

Oh yeah, bad manners on my part, fish & blackice welcome to the MPC forums.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:30 am 

Sorry, didn't get a chance to post last night. I was busy CONFIGURING MY NEW BUILD!!!! I took the IDE DVD player from my other computer as BlackIce suggested and used that for the install. Worked! Oh, just a heads up for people... and this may be only for raid, I'm not sure: early in the install it asked for drivers for the hard drive, so I took out the Windows 7 ISO DVD, put in the CD with the necessary raid drivers. It recognized my raid array but said it could not install to it. When I clicked details it said "can't install to partition: error 0x80300001" ... that may not be exact... I wrote it down but it's at home and I'm at work. Anyway, just take the driver CD out, replace with the Windows 7 ISO DVD again, and then click refresh. The "next" button that was formerly greyed out should now be available for clicking, and you should be fine to install.

Thanks a million, you guys! If not for you, I probably would have given up on the RAID out of frustration. You guys rock! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:08 am 

Glad it worked. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Glad it all worked out and feel free to drop in anytime.

Ron