Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I think I fried my CPU!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:11 pm 

Yesterday, I was just using my PC, as usual, when all of a sudden it shuts off. This isn't the first time it has happend, actually the 3rd in the last 2 weeks. Happened while playing Call of Duty. I suspected it was a heat problem, so when it restarted, I checked the hardware monitor in the BIOS and noticed my CPU temp @ 80 degrees celcius! So I immediately powered down my computer and noticed the amount of dust buildup collected in the heatsink of the processor, limitng the amount of airflow from the fan. I removed the dust and clipped the heatsink back down over the processor. Next time I powered up, I couldn't get the system to post. So now I'm thinking that my CPU is fried, although I didn't smell nor see any burn marks on the CPU core. Before I purchase another CPU, is there anything I can do to make sure my processor isn't 'useless'.

BTW, the processor is an Athlon XP 2500+ (stock speeds) with standard retail heatsink/fan. Motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X and 350W Antec PSU.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

any time you remove your heatsink you need to use new thermal paste.

Use a lint free cloth or paper towel and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean your heatsink.

btw, 80 degrees Celcius = 176 degrees Farenheit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
is there anything I can do to make sure my processor isn't 'useless'
some local computer stores may be able to test the cpu to tell you if it is good or not (for a fee)
also may i make a recommendation invest a few $$ into cans of air and duster cloths (swifter, etc) and clean your system inside and out atleast every 1-2 months for the bigger fans you can use the duster cloths in the long run it will save you some $$$