Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Memory usage problems on Asus a7n8x deluxe-e
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:03 pm 

I recently upgraded my machine with a new motherboard and memory, along with cpu. When I first started the machine, I could barely notice the performance boost. I went from Amd Thoroughbred 1800+ to a Barton XP2500+ with new 1GB Corsair Memory. I have had suspicions about the memory since it is used so quickly. First, is the operating system to blame for the poor performance, or is the memory not configured correctly. I was told by Asus to try reinstalling the Hard drive controller driver, but I don't see how it would affect Window's management of virtual memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You reinstalled the OS right?

And define "used so quickly".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:17 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

we definitely need more info. please provide info such as hardware specs, whast do you use your computer for? gaming? multimedia? have you change the ram latency timings in the bios? look also in the manual of your mobo to see if you got the memory configured right for dual channel. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:05 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Is this a clean install of the operating system? What is the operating system? If not an new install of XP use your CD and do a repair with it. Install service pack 1 and do a windows update, DX 9b, then install the motherboard drivers, video drivers ectra.

You may have borked your swap file, that is why the ram is filled so fast. Also check in device manager under IDE Controllers and make sure you are running in DMA mode if available. If you are in PIO mode your comp is gonna be as slow a moooollllasses.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:55 pm 

To define "used so quickly" is to say that I can use 70% of my system resources while burning one CD.
Most of my parts are old. I'm running an 80gb WD hard drive, nothing fancy. I also have an Ati 9600 with 128mb. Other than that I have a Samsung 52x burner, and a 400 watt power supply. Everything else I use on the mobo.
I use my computer for most anything: games, work, and a little multimedia- i.e.: DVDs.
The memory is running in dual channel mode. I tried leaving the latency timing to auto, but it didn't work out well. I noticed it was running slower than what corsair advised, so I changed the settings to Corsair's settings. It didn't make even a degree of difference to the machine.
I'm running Windows ME because I needed a new operating system for my Ati 9600. I am running the hard drive in DMA mode.
It was one of my biggest mistakes, but I didn't do a clean install. I needed my system working for work in a hurry, but didn't have enough time to make a clean install. I had a second drive, which I made a clean install to and booted to for quite some time, but there was no performance difference between the drives, even though the second drive was half the size and had only a 2mb buffer instead of the 8mb buffer on my present hard drive.
If you could give me more information about the swap file, that would be great. I haven't heard of a swap file used in virtual memory, and I was wondering if the virtual memory is full or refusing to accept more info causing the memory to fill up faster than normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:49 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Hello Taylorjd,

You do not need a new operating system for your ATI 9600, I am running an ATI 9700 pro in windows 98se and it runs just fine. What operating system did you upgrade from? I am affraid you managed to buy the worst operating system Billie Gates was ever responsible for selling. If you can get your money back for that system and buy at least Win 2000 pro, you would be much better off.

After you loaded ME did you load the motherboard chipset drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard? Then DirectX 9b? They may have a special version of 9b for ME. You need DX9 to run your video card.

When you did a clean install, did you load the old operating system first and layer over the top of it or did you just use the ME disk and give the machine the old disk to verify the media, then continue the install with the ME disk? What is your old operating system?

If you want to set your own swapfile, right click on My Computer>Performance>Virtual memory, there should be a check in "Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings". You can put a check in the other window and set your own swapfile size, I wouldn't though, I have tried many settings and always have gone back to Let Windows do it, seems to work best. (This was done in Win98se, I am assuming ME is the same.) I have ME, used it for a day and got rid of it :-/ went back to Win98se until I bought a copy of Win 2000 Pro and have never looked back. I dual boot Win 98se and Win 2000 Pro but use 2000 Pro 99 % of the time.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

System Resources has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of RAM you have in your PC. Adding more RAM will not solve your problem. I think if you went to Win2000/XP you'd be much much better off.

FYI, Win9x uses the same memory structure as DOS 6 while 2000/XP natively utilizes all your RAM.

Post subject: Re: Memory usage problems on Asus a7n8x deluxe-e
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:57 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

taylorjd wrote:
I recently upgraded my machine with a new motherboard and memory, along with cpu. When I first started the machine, I could barely notice the performance boost. I went from Amd Thoroughbred 1800+ to a Barton XP2500+ with new 1GB Corsair Memory. I have had suspicions about the memory since it is used so quickly. First, is the operating system to blame for the poor performance, or is the memory not configured correctly. I was told by Asus to try reinstalling the Hard drive controller driver, but I don't see how it would affect Window's management of virtual memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can try downloading and running a memory tester. Microsoft has one on there website. As well as there being one on the MAX PC CD a couple of months back.

A good one will force you to create a boot disk and have you scan using the disk. This makes me think it could just be a bit of bad RAM in your computer. We had situations similar to yours at my place of work and ran a system diagnostic tester and found out the problem was bad RAM memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:19 pm 

I also had win 98se, but the drivers I had for the card wouldn't work, so I upgraded to ME. I upgraded from win98. After I installed the OS I loaded up the computer the way they tell you to: mobo drivers first from the manufactuer's disk first; I then installed the version of Direct X that came with the video card drivers. I installed ME over 98se. At the time I didn't know I had the option of verifying it with 98se disk.
I don't want to add more RAM to my system because I figured 1 gig would be plenty of RAM. If my installation of ME was over 98se, will it use the same memory structure as 98se or will it use the 2000 structure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:50 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I did a search in the Microsoft data base and found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;253912

You may want to remove one stick of ram and see if your usage goes back to normal.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:25 pm 

if when burning a CD is when you notice that you are using 70% of your memory, you have no problems... think about it: In order to avoid burning a toaster, your computer would have buffered as much of the media as possible. on a CD, thats 700MB. 1024 x .70 ~= 700MB. Tell us other times that you have this problem. Is it only during CD burning? or is it also during solitaire... if the problem continues during idling, i would advise (1)get windows XP (WinME is widely acknowledged, even by MS to be the worst OS ever made.) (2) run an extensive virus/spyware scan (go into safemode to catch everything). If this does not work, i will give you my professional bulletproof advice. i tell this to people and they never ask me again about the problem: go to www.gainpublishing.com and download everything they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:18 am 

That's right. MS Windows ME is NOT an operating system to upgrade to, and if you already have you, you would actually be better off changing to MS Windows 98 SE. MS Windows 2000 & XP share most of the same technologies (built on NT), while 98, 98 SE, and ME share their technologies closely. I must say that it is definitely better that RAM is being used up rather than having a huge PF. It's far better to have 700 MB of RAM and just 100 MB of PF used rather than 100 MB of RAM used and 700 MB PF used. If I were you, I'd go with what MunkiRench said and get XP: Home.

Here's a good question:
Do you have many, many icons in your quick launch area? If you do, that could be part of the cause. Those little icons mean programs are pretty much loaded up in memory, but are just hiding, waiting for you to launch them. (That's why it's called Quick Launch).

And finallly, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers and BIOS updates. You'd be surprised how much of a difference they can make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:23 pm 

Thanks everyone.
I upgraded to XP and the system is working fine, although most of my favorite games won't work with it.
I appreciate all the help, and I hope one day to be able to return the favor.
Maximum PC rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:09 pm 

You're most certainly welcome taylorjd! It helps many times to run older programs in compatibility mode? Do you know how to do that? If so, does it help with most of your usually-not-working-on-XP games?