Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:33 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
1. I have been told by a couple of people that the only way to share the cable modem would be to connect one of our internet routers to the gigabit switch. Is this really the case?

It is not the only way, but it is the best way. Your internet connection isn't going to be 10mb let alone 100mb. If connected to a switch it will have no affect on the rest of the network.

I was not asking about it due to the speed. I just wanted to use 1 device rather then 2 if I could. I know my cable access speed tops out at 3mb/s and that was assuming we ever got a perfect connection. Fat chance of that ever happening.

Quote:
Quote:
We are also going to be running network wire through the house so I don't really want to do it in cat5 only to have to rerun cat6 later.

Here's a suggestion to save you money. Run the CAT6 and use your existing 10/100 gear. Given the equipment you have you'll never take advantage of a gigabit network, you just don't need that much bandwidth. If after you move in you discover a use for gigabit, streaming video maybe, upgrade then.

Ok, that was actually just one of my many excuses I use to try and validate my purchasing a gigabit network. Mostly this goes back to my just being power mad.

And to clarify for everyone reading this post:
I am WELL aware that this is far more speed then most of my devices I will hook into my network will use. But this is, as I stated before, just me being on a power trip. But I have a job that pays me enough money to allow me my little power trips every once and again. Please stop suggesting for me not to buy gigabit.

My goal in the long run was to try and have 1 gigabit switch that would run all my devices in my house and allow them to share the internet connection. That obviously is not possible due to the internet sharing though.

The other things I was wondering about has already been answered about 5 times. That was whether or not a switch would drop to it's lowest device connected to it and the VPN/firewall device.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, all your input is greatly appreciated.

- Bill Junior