Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows protection error --- won't boot except to safe mode
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:20 pm 

The computer in question is old as dirt, but it is just the oldie in the living room that our son uses to access the internet. It is running windows 98 SE and has 160MB RAM. I have been to microsoft's support pages and have done all the tests in Article 188867 (Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems). No go.

It will boot to safe mode, but will not boot to regular windows. Tells me it has a windows protection error and must be restarted. I have reinstalled windows, still didn't work. I reformatted the harddrive from dos and then reinstall windows again and it still is giving me the same error which totally puzzles me as I thought something in the windows registry was damaged irrepairably.

It has to be something hardware that is not working right. No changes were made to the PC... one day it worked, next day it didn't.

What do you think it is? Is the hard drive? I wouldn't think so as it sounds fine and came back perfect on the scan disk etc. Possibly the memory? Although it checks out ok on startup when it runs through its diagnostic stuff.

I do have more knowledge than the average computer user, but definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) not a hacker by any means. So don't feel like you have to explain what ram looks like etc., cause I don't have any qualms about delving into it and have pretty much replaced every generic thing in a computer before. :) I'm just stumped as to what could be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:35 pm 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

First, go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and download the memory test and run it...if that doesn't work, I'd venture to say you have a bad BIOS chip on your motherboard...that is quite an odd problem you have there...usually a full format will take care of anything like that... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:59 pm 

Thanks, will do that.

Yeah, I'm afraid it might have got a lighting strike or something. I have it on a surge suppressor, but lately Florida is having some nasty thunderboomers. Might have hurt something as you have suggested.

I appreciate your advice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:03 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

If you reformatted and reinstalled and you are still getting the error it is probably hardware / memory related. Try reinstalling with minimal hardware (cpu, 1 memory module & video card -- no lan, no soundcard, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:33 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You may have a virus resident on the boot sector of the hard drive. Use your Boot floppy and boot up to the A: prompt and type fdisk /mbr that command will rewrite the master boot record, now format the hard drive and install win 98. Run the memory tester another poster suggested also. Keep us informed please.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

windows repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm going to suspect you have an wierd IRQ issue somewhere.

I had this once on an older system I had. I had to disable the onboard USB ports to have it install correctly.

I'm with Chams in that this is hardware somewhere..that may or may not be bad.

Post subject: Video Card or memory
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:39 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm guessing its your video card or memory. If you have another video card try changing that. Like the other guy said, test the memory. Could be a lot on the board too.

Post subject: this could do it
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:42 pm 

Open the case. Remove the small battery on the motherboard and wait at least 60 seconds, then put in a new battery. This will reset your bios to it's defaults.

OR

Get your hands on a good .45 cal pistol and shoot several holes in the thing and go buy a new cheapie. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:56 pm 

lol I'm about to go the route of the gun. ;)

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I am still working on it in my spare time. I will keep you all updated as to what I find out the problem is. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!

I also suspect a boot virus. I have tried it without booting from a diskette, and things seemed to be working fine, until reboot. I will get a boot disk and try doing the mbr format this weekend.

Thanks, guys! I do appreciate it. :)

Post subject: try this if you think you have a virus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:26 pm 

go to www.antivirus.com.

They have a free online scanner to check for a virus.

I use their product Trend Micro Internet Security. It is fabulous and you can try it out free. If you search the web you can buy it for under $25, like I did.

Good luck.

PS If you go the gun route get a Para Ordnance LDA it holds 16 rounds of 45cal and will fire double action. That ought to kill just about any virus.

If you pump 15 rounds into the computer and that fails to solve things use the remaining round on yourself, (file off the front sight so you don't chip a tooth when you put the barrel in your mouth.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:30 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Any protection error, I'd test the Memory first. If memtest passes, then I'd run right on over to check my BIOS. I have dual bios, so I try booting off the back-up, but most may just have to reset and flash. But other stuff I'm looking around and seeing:I don't condone the following...just found them and posting for options outside of the memory and BIOS.

Have you tried more specific items with that error? Like Q310387?
"Flash" seems to be a very abundant word that pops up with this error.

And oddly, the following advice for 98 machines have been seen around a quick google to also work on XP. I, in no way, see why this works or why it has anything to do with XP, but hey...some are saying it's fixed this error:p
1. Restart your computer in safe mode.
2. Click on Start and run
3. Type msconfig.
4. Select selective startup
5. Remove win.ini, system.ini and startup from the choices
6. Restart your computer and complete the installation.
7. Once you are in normal mode reset the msconfig as above back to Normal

Post subject: Re: Windows protection error --- won't boot except to safe m
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:08 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

silver wrote:
The computer in question is old as dirt, but it is just the oldie in the living room that our son uses to access the internet. It is running windows 98 SE and has 160MB RAM. I have been to microsoft's support pages and have done all the tests in Article 188867 (Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems). No go.

It will boot to safe mode, but will not boot to regular windows. Tells me it has a windows protection error and must be restarted. I have reinstalled windows, still didn't work. I reformatted the harddrive from dos and then reinstall windows again and it still is giving me the same error which totally puzzles me as I thought something in the windows registry was damaged irrepairably.

It has to be something hardware that is not working right. No changes were made to the PC... one day it worked, next day it didn't.

What do you think it is? Is the hard drive? I wouldn't think so as it sounds fine and came back perfect on the scan disk etc. Possibly the memory? Although it checks out ok on startup when it runs through its diagnostic stuff.

I do have more knowledge than the average computer user, but definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) not a hacker by any means. So don't feel like you have to explain what ram looks like etc., cause I don't have any qualms about delving into it and have pretty much replaced every generic thing in a computer before. :) I'm just stumped as to what could be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance. :)

Some of these are caused by Vxd (virtual drivers). Does it give an additional information with the error? Like a code or file name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:42 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

silver wrote:
lol I'm about to go the route of the gun. ;)

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I am still working on it in my spare time. I will keep you all updated as to what I find out the problem is. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!

I also suspect a boot virus. I have tried it without booting from a diskette, and things seemed to be working fine, until reboot. I will get a boot disk and try doing the mbr format this weekend.

Thanks, guys! I do appreciate it. :)

I would do what the guy said about removing hardware. NIC, Modem. Sound and usb add on cards. Reinstall and add cards untill the problem returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:44 pm 

Hi, all!

First of all, I know its been a long time in updating, but I've been busy and frustrated, and lost hope in the dang heap of metal.

I reformated from a boot disk and tried to do the mbr format. Got into windows once and then crashed again.

I reinstalled on a bare bones system. No go.

The specific driver is kept crashing on was vmm32.vxd. I found a really good site on the net and rebuilt the driver from the install CD. No go.

I did the memory test 3 times, and came back with zero errors each time.

Talked hubby into finding an old system in the paper this weekend. and then....

Then... I came back here to reread the entire thread to see if there was a suggestion I missed. There was. I took out the cmos battery and reset the bios.

NOW IT WORKS!!!!!! :)

Yay! Thank you, all, so very much for all your suggestions! I truly do appreciate it. (And so does my son!)

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!

**happy dance**