Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's the Best I can get?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:18 am 

I had another post about my Vid Card overheating, and I'm going to get a new one. Problem is I'm not quite sure which one to get.

My system specs are:
Asus P4T-E Mobo http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t-e/overview.htm
P4 1.8Ghz
1.5 GB RDRAM (just upgraded this a week ago from 512MB)
400 Mhz Frontside Bus speed

I'm looking to upgrade my Vid card first and my CPU second. I would like to keep my mobo a little longer, so what vid card would be best suited to go in the mobo while using most of the cards potential? I think a 6800 or a X800 would go to waste in my system, so would a 9800 Pro/XT be best? I just don't want to put a Corvette engine in a Chevy Nova.

Also it's been so long since I have messed with my CPU. I'm not sure what would be the max for my mobo. It might be 2.6 Ghz, but again I'm not sure. Any help here?

Thnx in adavance for your alls help. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:43 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

1st Choice
9800 Pro - $194
http://tinyurl.com/33wst

2nd Choice
GeForce 6800 - $289
http://tinyurl.com/3b9jl

The 9800 Pro is, IMO, the best fit for your system. For longevity purposes, the 6800 is an option, as at $289 it's the cheapest next-gen card around. However, I heavly lean towards option#1 in your case, as I don't get the feeling that you're a diehard gamer in need of cutting edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:06 am 
Northwood
Northwood

im also leaning towards option just like the other guy posted. the aTI 9800pro is still a kickass card and will handle the future games well enough. save some money so next time, you can upgrade everything besides the vidoecard and cpu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:05 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Your specs say you can go to 2.4 gig processor, if all your games and apps run now and you can live with the video card, stay with it. Save your bucks for a new video card, motherboard and processor when you need it to play the new games comming out.

Here are the specs to your board:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t-e/ ... cation.htm

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:38 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
1st Choice
9800 Pro - $194
http://tinyurl.com/33wst

2nd Choice
GeForce 6800 - $289
http://tinyurl.com/3b9jl

The 9800 Pro is, IMO, the best fit for your system. For longevity purposes, the 6800 is an option, as at $289 it's the cheapest next-gen card around. However, I heavly lean towards option#1 in your case, as I don't get the feeling that you're a diehard gamer in need of cutting edge.

Thnx for the tip. If I got the 6800, would I be able to tell the difference in Video performance (fps) with it over a 9800 Pro/XT? I just get the feeling that it wouldn't even run at 50% of its potential in my system.

P.S. I am a diehard gamer, it just that I have a lower budget atm than what I have had in the past 3 years since I built my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:50 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Bob wrote:
Thnx for the tip. If I got the 6800, would I be able to tell the difference in Video performance (fps) with it over a 9800 Pro/XT? I just get the feeling that it wouldn't even run at 50% of its potential in my system.

Not likely. From the benchies I've seen on the regular 6800, it's not astronomically higher than the 9800 Pro/XT. The 6800 would be something to look at if considering a platform change in the future, but a 9800 Pro will fit your system currently and in the near future should you decide to pop a faster proc in there.

Out of curiousity, what is your budget and current video card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'd get the 9800Pro.

if you're going to be jumping to PCI-Express anytime soon, then I'd get the non-Pro 9800 and save some cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:19 pm 

One4yu2c wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is your budget and current video card?

My current card is a GeForce 4400Ti, and my budget would be somewhere between $225-$275.

And I don't expect to be going to PCI-E anytime soon. I'm prolly going to hold out until BTX mobos are more numerous, and have PCI-E on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Bob wrote:
If I got the 6800, would I be able to tell the difference in Video performance (fps) with it over a 9800 Pro/XT?

Not much, but the XT is still more expensive than that eVGA 6800. If the XT was in your mind as a purchase, that newegg special should really make you reconsider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:24 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Bob the upgrade guy wrote:
My current card is a GeForce 4400Ti, and my budget would be somewhere between $225-$275.

Just to give you one other option, you could also consider upgrading your platform. You could get a Barton 2500+, Abit or Asus nforce2 mobo, and 2x256mb PC3200 within your budget. From there, save until you have enough for a next gen card, especially when the prices should come down before too long.

It's a touch call, as Socket A is dead and you're currently loaded with 1.5g RAM. I would still lean towards a platform upgrade though, combined w/ your ti4400 until the brand spankin' new video cards drop down a bit. By doing that, you'd also notice a performance increase in non-gaming tasks as well.

Just another option :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:23 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c does have a point. I get better scores by clocking the cpu than the video card. I'd bet if you totally transformed your configuration to a newer/faster core to work from, you'll be very happy for a while.

I'm still using a Ti4200 and a FX5800 Ultra, and I'm happy with either one at the moment. Socket A is dead, but there's still CPU's and boards other than 939.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:32 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
One4yu2c does have a point.

I tend to do that from time to time :wink:

Chumly w/ a new avatar wrote:
I'm still using a Ti4200 and a FX5800 Ultra, and I'm happy with either one at the moment.

Ever since my AIW 9800 Pro refurb debacle, I've been chugging along with a ti4200 in my rig. I stole it from my son's machine until I decide on another AIW card or next-gen and PCI TV tuner combo. It's been doing decent though, and if I wasn't such a hardware whore, I could contemplate holding onto it.

On a side note, have you noticed our post counts running neck and neck? I noticed in another thread where we were right next to each other at about 130-something apiece. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:38 pm 

One4yu2c wrote:
Just to give you one other option, you could also consider upgrading your platform. You could get a Barton 2500+, Abit or Asus nforce2 mobo, and 2x256mb PC3200 within your budget. From there, save until you have enough for a next gen card, especially when the prices should come down before too long.

It's a touch call, as Socket A is dead and you're currently loaded with 1.5g RAM. I would still lean towards a platform upgrade though, combined w/ your ti4400 until the brand spankin' new video cards drop down a bit. By doing that, you'd also notice a performance increase in non-gaming tasks as well.

Just another option :)

I have been interested in the AMD procs for awhile now, but I have had roommates that buildt their own AMD system and the procs would break on them. So I'm a little wary about going with AMD unless it was made by Alienware. I have built 3 systems in the past 10 years, and they all have been Intel-based systems.

So I'm not really interested in updating my core just yet. I will prolly either start building this time next year, or buy an Alienware.

Thnx for the advice though, you guys are great. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:45 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Sounds like you're set in you decision, though I hope you end up reconsidering. Not sure what you mean by 'break,' whether referring to physically cracking the core or having the CPU burn up due to heat, etc. Neither should be concerns however, and I certainly would hate to see you drop a bundle of cash on an Alienware rig if that was your sole reason.

But hey, ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Like I said, it sounds like you're set in your decision, so gl and come back with any questions, we love to help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:20 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c wrote:
"Chumly w/ a new avatar"

I silently stopped using after finally seeing [C]hams post a reminder to rule no.7 in the rules.
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
Lead by example, right? I don't even think I'm keeping this one...I really can't think of one I want to keep right now. Maybe I'll get looking for one tomarrow. Chumely is too goofy to use:p
One4yu2c wrote:
...have you noticed our post counts running neck and neck?

Not 'til now. But I have noticed I'm posting in threads really close to your input! Some day I'll get a life again and they'll start falling back a bit. For now, I'm starting to like it around here.

Just wish there were more faces in the computer area of the forum. I see, maybe 10 people all the damned time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:04 pm 

Thnx a bunsh guys.

A friend of mine as talked me into getting the eVGA 6800 that comes with a free copy of Far Cry. He convinced me to get the card and use it if/when I upgrade my system. He just got his and he has a similar system to mine (CPU, Vid Card, etc.), and he say the 6800's faster performance is noticable in a lot of the games he plays.

I will be back, soon enough. =)