Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:44 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Seems to be a bunch of great replies and help here. I run with the majority. When I had the problem is was the fan on the video card had quit! I would run maybe 5 to 10 min and it was reboot after reboot.

Other likely causes are RAM or the PSU getting a bit flakey. My money is on the graphics card.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:59 pm 

Yea, so i just tested my psu by purchasing a Compusa psu tester thing. It passed.... So now I definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) know its not my PSU. So im just left with my CPU. But the odd thing is that my computer just keeps halting now with my tnt2 card in it. It halted meaning no BSOD just froze on this screen. It froze twice when i was trying to write this post. SO i gotta type fast llol. But yea could it be my ram? It is less than a week old and its from PNY. I bought a new CPU heatsink so ill throw that on and tell you guys what happens... THX for your responses again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:02 pm 

MY vcore on my bios is set to 1.6 volts. I dunno what the normal is supposed to be for a 2100 cpu. Is it 1.75? like you were saying, just reconfirm before i change the vcore setting , i dont wanna blow it up and what not, thatll just be more headache..... than it already is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:54 pm 

Ill show you all cooling, stuck my nice 14 inch fan next to my open pc case...... see if thats elite cooling for you.... watch its gonna restart still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:41 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

XHAOS wrote:
I'm the 1 with a T-Bird, he has an XP 2100 ... his should be nowhere near that temp at idle, mine doesnt even go anywhere near that temp under full load.

Oops. I retract my 'good catch' from Chumly and give it to you :wink:

Indeed, a 2100+ should be a 1.6v. This brings the troubleshooting right back to CPU temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:44 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

rkasudia wrote:
But yea could it be my ram? It is less than a week old and its from PNY. I bought a new CPU heatsink so ill throw that on and tell you guys what happens... THX for your responses again.

It's possible, but it still doesn't excuse those temps. You can check your RAM easily enough, head over the www.memtest86.com and give it a whirl.

As mentioned above, YOUR cpu is on target at 1.6v, don't touch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:59 pm 

Yea im cooling this cpu thing with my fan and my computer isnt crashing that much / hasnt in a while. I was able to hit up a game of wc3 before starting on my research paper. And yea it worked... woot. I dunno once i chenge my heatsink and take away the fan ill tell you guys whats happeneing. Ill also check out my ram and see if its also the videa card thats causing problems... Thx again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:53 pm 

Yea the computer just stays on longer with the fan next to it... its running now at like 35 - 41 degrees centigrade.. But it still restarts / freezes...

Still kinda lost now.. i think its still my cpu overheating.. havent goten a chance to fix that up though today hopefully ill get some time to put the new one on.. Im between the videa card and the cpu overheating causing the problems?

Any ideas why overheating, even slightly, could cause system instability?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

XHAOS wrote:
I'm the 1 with a T-Bird, he has an XP 2100 ... his should be nowhere near that temp at idle, mine doesnt even go anywhere near that temp under full load.

Ahhhhhhh! I'm still getting used to this new forum format. Please forgive me!

I feel like I wasted a huge amount of time typing all that crap now :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:03 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

rkasudia wrote:
MY vcore on my bios is set to 1.6 volts. I dunno what the normal is supposed to be for a 2100 cpu. Is it 1.75? like you were saying, just reconfirm before i change the vcore setting , i dont wanna blow it up and what not, thatll just be more headache..... than it already is...

Doh, I'm so confused...None-the-less:

1.65v is still the voltage for the 1.73Ghz 2100+. That's you, right!? That should be the stock setting. But a quick google also brings up many reviews stating that 1.75v is what they're reporting. And an Asus board is POST'ing them at 1.85 :p

Don't be too afraid of the thing. Those things handle up to 1.85V pretty well. After that, it's all up to the user's luck IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:16 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
1.75v is still the voltage for the 1.73Ghz 2100+. That's you, right!? If so, don't be too afraid of the thing. Those things handle up to 1.85V pretty well. After that, it's all up to the user's luck IIRC.

Not necessarily. It depends on whether he has the Palomino (.18m) or Tbred (.13m) version. The Palomino certainly did run at 1.75v, but the Tbird ran at 1.60. My hunch is he has a tbird, since it's defaulting to 1.6v on its own.

At the idle temps he currently has, I wouldn't push that core at all. He could be at risk of frying his chip, considering the instability he's having at the assumed default volts.

AMD's Spec Sheet

EDIT:
Dagnabbit, you edited before I hit reply. Still though, minor corrections above. And I think he needs to swap that hsf already before touching voltages. I'm about 99.9% sure this is nothing more than heat related, of which upping the vcore will only add to his problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:13 pm 

Alright ive been running my fan directly at my cpu and its at like 35 degrees now. But now it doesnt restart so much, but it still restarts randomly / the screen freezes. So would it most probably be the video card thats causing my computer problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:05 pm 

XHAOS wrote:

Perhaps checking to see if dust is clogging the heat sink?

After a year, my temps climbed nearly 10C at idle, and like a dummy I didn't even think of dust as a problem. When I opened the case, there was hardly any visible dust at all.

Then I used some canned air and nearly choked to death on the dust being blasted from within the heat sink fiins. Got the dust blown out and cleaned up, rebooted, ran 10C cooler, back to temps when the comp was first assembled.

This simple thing may at least lower the temps somewhat, eliminating overheating as the proximate cause, and alloow the original poster to bump the vcore without causing more heat issues until he can properly sort the trouble.