Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bootup Freeze
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My work computer is experiencing a rather odd startup problem. Any time I reboot the PC (XP Pro) the computer freezes up during the loading of XP (you can see the loading bar stopped). After several reboots if usually starts up fine, but lately when I've had to restart my work machine I've had to use system restore to get it to boot up properly.

I've had this problem for a couple of months now. I don't have any beta software installed except for Windows Media Player 10 (but this problem existed before I installed WMP10). My system is a 700 MHz Intel, 256MB RAM. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

u tried reinstalling windows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

since you are using winxp pro, boot up with the winxp pro cd and choose repair when you get to the blue screen main console. then when you get to the black dos screen like, type in "chkdsk /r" and let it fix your comp. reboot and see if you still get the lockups.

could also be your hardware like flaky ram or something. overheating issues maybe too. good luck

Post subject: try this
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:26 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Since this is your work PC, a re-image may work but I would try booting into safe mode and delete all your temp files, cookies and such from the disk cleanup then run a scan disk and defrag. That should solve your problem unless you have a HDD problem.

If that does not work try last known good configuration but safe mode option is better bet. Get rid of those compessed old files. Forget the registry key off the top of my head but you can do a serach or someone in here should know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

keymaker wrote:
since you are using winxp pro, boot up with the winxp pro cd and choose repair when you get to the blue screen main console. then when you get to the black dos screen like, type in "chkdsk /r" and let it fix your comp. reboot and see if you still get the lockups.

could also be your hardware like flaky ram or something. overheating issues maybe too. good luck

I'll try that on Friday.

Thanks