I have an ASUS ATA266 mobo (ALiMagik chipset), and just bought a Western Digital 250GB JB hard drive. I can see the whole drive (updated BIOS & WinXP SP1 for 48 bit LBA), but I can't get the dang thing to work in DMA mode. Even Ghost (DOS mode) won't transfer faster than 120MB/min. I can't find any info on if there's a problem with this chipset and really big drives. (Previous largest was a Deskstar 60GB). Anyone know if there is a compatibility issue?
Here is what I've done so far:
- Tried 250GB drive on both Primary & Secondary IDE channels, as master & slave (even tried different 80 pin cables).
- Tried to change settings in the registry back to UDMA 5, with no result.
- Tried fix suggested on Microsoft's site: Device Manager -> shift drive to "PIO only", then back to "DMA if available".
- Installed WinXP SP2 RC2, to get the updated atapi.sys file, with no difference (later uninstalled SP2).
- Uninstalled the ALi mini IDE driver, and forced Windows default IDE driver, with no difference.
- I was running the A7A266 mobo 1013 beta 1 BIOS.. Flashed back to 1012 with no difference.
- Put the drive in manual setting in BIOS, and tried stepping setting to DMA 4/3/2/1, with no difference (not sure if ALiMagik chipset will downgrade each step automatically, or just jump straight to PIO on timeout or CRC errors).
- Returned the drive and got another one, with no difference.
Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I can't afford to upgrade further until the end of this year, so that suggestion is out. I plan on getting a 939 pin mobo when they're more plentiful & cheaper.