Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: runtime error '339':component'comdlg32
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:38 pm 

Ok I need help on this one.

I'm runing a trainer for Master of Orion 2. I wouldv'e posted uder games, but this problem seems to be windows based.

It works fine on win98se. But it wont run on my girls laptop computer that I'm bringing to work on the midnight tour. XP Home on the Dell Laptop Inspiron 8100.

runtime error '339':component'comdlg32.ocx' or one of it dependencies not currently registered: A file is missing or invalid.

I did a google search, came up with visual basic 6 files missing or corrupted. I downloaded the Visual basic 6 setup program.

The only thing I'm wondering is where to install it? No default path is set. I'm not sure where to put it.

I was going to install it on c:\VB6.

Is there a better place, or a place where its supposed to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Is there the newest version of Direct X installed on the laptop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:19 pm 

Yes, all updates checked daily as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 am 

I updated/installed visual basic 6 into the windows/system32 directory and no good.

I still get the same error message.

Does anybody here have any experirnce with this? The google search pulled up the option to install VB 6 again. Did it, now I stuck. This isn't the only trainer that its happening too, now that I'm experimenting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

u can try gettin a copy of that .ocx file and put it in the same folder as the trainer. that may work. i remember a while back (5 or 6 years ago) having to register OCX files for some programs, it was weird, but u had to have a certain program to do so, but i dont remember what it was exactly. that could be the problem. or possibly, u may have to use the compatibility wizard thing.

Last edited by XHAOS on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:14 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Sounds like all you really NEED is the VB Runtime, which is included in VB.

You can always try to find a copy of the file and drop it into C:\windows\system32 (or c:\winnt\system32)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:30 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Looking at the post thus far, you may want to give this a shot:

The file comdlg32.ocx is, as was mentioned used for Active X. The file should reside in the System 32 folder in Windows XP. The file is actually a CMDialog Active X Control.

Here is what I would do. Boot in the Safe Mode. Look in the System 32 folder. See if the file exist. Be sure you have a copy of the file. Yes, it should be included in the VB5 and VB6 Runtime files. However, if you want to install just that file, rename the file in the folder if it exist. Then place the new file in the folder. If the file is downloaded as a single file as a zip, just unzip and drop it in the folder.

If you just install VB 6 Runtime it should install the file. However if the existing file is there, it likely won't.

You can find info here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/help/missingfiles.html

Also, the .ocx files are like .dll files. Having the file in the System folder is not enough. The file needs to be "Registered" in the registry much as a .DLL needs to be registered. Next you have to register the file with the registry. If you are not familiar with using regsvr32 this may help:

http://cuinl.tripod.com/Tips/ocxtip.htm

Hope that helps a little.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:14 am 

Reloadron wrote:
Looking at the post thus far, you may want to give this a shot:

The file comdlg32.ocx is, as was mentioned used for Active X. The file should reside in the System 32 folder in Windows XP. The file is actually a CMDialog Active X Control.

Here is what I would do. Boot in the Safe Mode. Look in the System 32 folder. See if the file exist. Be sure you have a copy of the file. Yes, it should be included in the VB5 and VB6 Runtime files. However, if you want to install just that file, rename the file in the folder if it exist. Then place the new file in the folder. If the file is downloaded as a single file as a zip, just unzip and drop it in the folder.

If you just install VB 6 Runtime it should install the file. However if the existing file is there, it likely won't.

You can find info here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/help/missingfiles.html

Also, the .ocx files are like .dll files. Having the file in the System folder is not enough. The file needs to be "Registered" in the registry much as a .DLL needs to be registered. Next you have to register the file with the registry. If you are not familiar with using regsvr32 this may help:

http://cuinl.tripod.com/Tips/ocxtip.htm

Hope that helps a little.

Ron

Thank You! Much appreciated! That fixed it. it works fine now. the regsvr32 is just what I needed, the file was there, it just needed to be registered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:04 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Glad things worked. Funny I stumbled upon this as I just did a post in the Windows folder called DLL Hell which covers registering files in the registry.

Ron