Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Video card fart=screwed hd?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:18 am 

Okay, to start. . .
Athon XP 1800
Asus A7VX-X
512 megs 2700
Chaintech Geforce 5200
Win XP Home
80 gig boot drive, 40 gig storage

I recently moved up from a 6 gig boot to the 80 gig. . maybe a month ago, so now Boot drive's drive F: and storage was D: . . no problems there, everything's played nice and worked
the other day, I had a 3D program running, and let it sit, when my screensaver, from a game called Feeding Frenzy popped on . . my puter rebooted.
When it came back up it said the reboot was caused by my video card. No more information than that. It ran fine and normal and booted. Until today when I went to play a game on my storage, D: drive. . it couldn't find it . . I checked My Computer. . . NO D: drive. . .just a C: drive which it says is not formatted. There is all my games, music and non-essential programs on this drive. It recognizes it fine, but nothing htat's on it
I have Adaware, Spybot, and AVG running full time, so doubt a virus got on. . . .but could a reboot screw up a hard drives setup?

Any help or suggestions is welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

get a Live CD Linux version (knoppix, Mandrake Move, etc) and you might be able to recover data on your drive

Post subject: What brand of hard drives?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:43 pm 

I don't know if it will help but i've had similar problems when trying to boot from a Maxtor hard drive and using a Western Digital for storage. They played fine with normal jumper settings (Master/Slave), till one day they decided not to and i had to resort to using two jumpers on my maxtor. Go to the manufacturer's websites if you have two different brands and search around.
Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:54 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Sounds like the boot sector of that drive got toasted. Boot into command and run chkdsk. Do a google for the hooks (/r, /f, etc...) for a discription of what they're doing.

What was C: before? Can I ask why you went with this non-standard lettering arrangment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:37 pm 

Okay. . suddenly I feel like a noob yet again . . . I F8 where I'm supposed to. . there's no option for a command prompt . . . everything is some option to start Windows . . with command prompt, debug mode, safe mode, etc. . . but no C: choice to run chkdsk . . . and if I try it from the RUN command in Windows. . . same problem. . C: is not formatted, would I like to do that now? . . .erm . . No??

Ahhh and to the drive lettering ..
my 6 Gig was C: . . my storage of course D:, dvd drive E: and the burner was F . .. if i remember :L: its' changed now. .

I replaced the C: with the new hard drive. . .new install of XP etc. . .it wouldn't call it C; however, it renamed it F: and there was no way to change that. .fine by me, still booted, saw the storage drive as D:, dvd as E:, and i think the burner became G: . .

however after this SNAFU, they all dropped one. . the storage that it says needs formatting is C, on up . .

I think I'm going to try the Linux disc, cause I really dont' want to lose 20 gigs of data like that. . .

but all help is appreciated :)

Oh, and both hard drives are WD basics, the 40 BB and 80 BB
the 6 Gig IBM still works.. made in 97 and used almost constantly since. . but upgrade was necessary

Post subject: Eeeesh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:46 am 

Okay, no more mucking about in my system after a rough 10 hour shift.

Going through command prompt. .I couldn't get it to C:\ . . it defaulted to F:\
on trying C:\ chkdsk it gave me
'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operative program or batch file
on trying cd C:\ i got
The volume does not contain recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

this mean the boot sector for my storage drive's truly screwed?

ugh. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:06 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Nilrem wrote:
Okay. . suddenly I feel like a noob yet again . . . I F8 where I'm supposed to. . there's no option for a command prompt . . . everything is some option to start Windows . . with command prompt, debug mode, safe mode, etc. . . but no C: choice to run chkdsk . . . and if I try it from the RUN command in Windows. . . same problem. . C: is not formatted, would I like to do that now? . . .erm . . No??

You want "command prompt"

Ahhh and to the drive lettering ..
my 6 Gig was C: . . my storage of course D:, dvd drive E: and the burner was F . .. if i remember :L: its' changed now. .

I replaced the C: with the new hard drive. . .new install of XP etc. . .it wouldn't call it C; however, it renamed it F: and there was no way to change that. .fine by me, still booted, saw the storage drive as D:, dvd as E:, and i think the burner became G: . .

This is the problem. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Your boot loader is still on the C drive and it simply points (or used to) to the F drive. Now something has gone wrong

however after this SNAFU, they all dropped one. . the storage that it says needs formatting is C, on up . .

I think I'm going to try the Linux disc, cause I really dont' want to lose 20 gigs of data like that. . .

Knoppix is my disc of choice. It recognizes a lot of hardware and may let you move stuff to Zip. One word of warning, if you are using the NTFS file system, do NOT save anything to a NTFS partitioned drive from Linux. FAT32 should be OK. Just ask if you have no idea what I am talking about

but all help is appreciated :)

Oh, and both hard drives are WD basics, the 40 BB and 80 BB
the 6 Gig IBM still works.. made in 97 and used almost constantly since. . but upgrade was necessary

BTW - You are using my old Internet/Telnet handle. If you get any grief on the MUD circuit - you now know why :wink:

Manta

Post subject: Re: Eeeesh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:14 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Nilrem wrote:

'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operative program or batch file

Hmmm...Now you can get to F??. Maybe my boot loader theory was wrong. Anyways - sounds like your C drive has let loose. But don't give up hope just yet. Try the linux disc trick. See if you can move stuff to a zip drive or something. That was only a 6 gig drive right? Now I am getting confused.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

It could mean any number of things. I know there are recovery utilities - maybe one of the [PC] folks will have a program name handy (and hopefully its cheap or free).

ugh. . .

Manta

Post subject: Re: Eeeesh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Nilrem wrote:

The command is chkdsk. So you would type "chkdsk c: /r

ugh. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:34 pm 

Dangit, I can't even explain straight these days LOL

Okay, 3 months ago, I added a storage drive to my 6 gig boot disk

C and D . . no problems, but the 6 gig was old

I purchased the 80 gig, and replaced the 6 gig C: drive with the 80 gig. . and newly installed XP on it, copied NOTHING from the C: drive

XP gave the new disk the F: my storage drive remained D: with all its data intact, except of course I had to reinstall my basic game files

two months ran fine . . was just a couple days ago that suddenly after the video card error, my D: storage drive became C: "unformatted" drive

my F: boot drive runs fine. .

I understand the NTFS and FAT32 styles, and both my drives are NTFS . . but how come you can't copy anything Linux to NTFS?

I can build systems. .but code is not my strong point :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:39 pm 

Quote:
BTW - You are using my old Internet/Telnet handle. If you get any grief on the MUD circuit - you now know why :wink:

Manta

Woops. .I certainly hope I didn't take someone's current handle. .

is just a nick I've used time to time since the ole AOL 3.0 days
and any grief I"m sure to earn :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:11 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'll take the easyone first:
Quote:
I understand the NTFS and FAT32 styles, and both my drives are NTFS . . but how come you can't copy anything Linux to NTFS?

Linux uses it's own various file systems...for now. Projects are underway to adopt NTFS. an added FYI, you can shift on the fly with a FAT-to-NTFS transition inside windows XP.
Quote:
I purchased the 80 gig, and replaced the 6 gig C: drive with the 80 gig. . and newly installed XP on it, copied NOTHING from the C: drive
XP gave the new disk the F: my storage drive remained D: with all its data intact

Ok, so you swapped the 6 with the 80. On install it named 80 F: instead of C:...I believe I'm following. It's booting fine and ran fine. Then all of a sudden it's another drive that suddly dropped.
Quote:
...two months ran fine ...was just a couple days ago that suddenly after the video card error, my D: storage drive became C: "unformatted" drive

This is the part that lead me to belive that a bad sector was written to the boot area of the disk. The boot sector contains vital info of the disk, and if it was corrupted, will bork the entire thing. Thus, windows can't tell what file system it's running, or the drive letter. Like a book's index being skribbled in and ripped up, if you will. The PC doesn't know what's past that section of the book. While it really may be formatted, the PC can't tell how it's written.

You can't scan/check sectors in windows as some are being used, especially the boot sector. You have to boot to that screen where you saw "safe mode" and chose the command one. Either that, or use a boot floppy or Windows CD (which is more work because you have to set to boot off the cd in the bios). When in command, you can run the chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r command.

Oh, and if you ever have a problem where things are getting their drive letters re-arranged or you want to re-arrange them yourself, you can simply use windows powertoy's TweakUI. If you get this thing running again, or deside to just leave the questioned disk out, I'd highly suggest doing so.

Double check that I'm still understanding :lol: But you may have to come to grips of this drive actually being dead. They don't always make a death-rattle when they go.

Oh! What makes you think you had a video card error? We're all talking about the drive and haven't mentioned what lead you to think a video card poo-poo'd something.
This could be vital info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:33 am 

Chumly, thank you. . i'm learnin more here. . .

Well, this was a few days ago now. . something I've forgotten is I also have my TV hooked up via an RF modulator and the S-video out on the video card. . not sure if htat makes a difference. . .

anyway.. I had a Real Arcade game running. . . and my screen saver popped up. . .i'ts a 3d screen saver from a game, Feeding Frenzy . . well as soon as it tried to load, the computer rebooted. . when it came back up. . there was a Warning window stating that Windows was forced to reboot do to a video card (or video driver) error . . . I clicked OK, cause it seemed fine. . rebooted and such

Everything ran fine till later that day I tried running another game on my storage drive. .where they all are. .and That's when it said it couldn't find it. . Such n Such game needed so many megs of disk space to run, and I had 0 available. . .so when I checked the drive.. that's when it listed it as C: and would I like to format it

Everything on my F: boot disk was fine. . . soooo . . . erm . . yeah :L:

I'm going to try the command prompt now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:29 am 

Okay, went into command prompt safe mode. .

chkdsk c: /r and /f
both gave me a message the volume is RAW
CHKDSK no available for RAW drives

grrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:48 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Nilrem,

Have you gone to the WD site and downloaded their hard drive utility? It is free and it will tell you if the hard drive is gone or not. There is an option to fix the boot sector somewhere in the utility, you might want to run it and see if the boot sector can be fixed. One other option I have used in the past is get my trusty old win98se boot disk out and at the "A" prompt type fdisk /mbr to rebuild the master boot record.

Nasty

Post subject: WD utility
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:54 am 

I d/l both the windows version and DOS version. .ran on both hard drives. . . . both come up as fine, no bad sectors, no errors . . . though it didnt' say anything specifically about the MBR

am looking into ghosting it . .I can take it to a local puter shop. . but much rather NOT hand them a bunch of cash to fix something I should be able to do . .

but i'm thinking all my data on that drive's shot to heck . . grrrr

thanks for hte help y'all

Post subject: Re: WD utility
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:27 pm 

Nilrem wrote:
I d/l both the windows version and DOS version. .ran on both hard drives. . . . both come up as fine, no bad sectors, no errors . . . though it didnt' say anything specifically about the MBR

am looking into ghosting it . .I can take it to a local puter shop. . but much rather NOT hand them a bunch of cash to fix something I should be able to do . .

but i'm thinking all my data on that drive's shot to heck . . grrrr

thanks for hte help y'all

If you had removed the old drive when you installed windows, the new drive would have been named c:. The old drive had a bootable partition on it and this can confuse things. Rather than taking it to a shop remove the old drive and reinstall windows on the new drive. You can add the old drive without problems after you boot up the first time. You said that you were playing games on the old drive. Did you reinstall these games?? You are bound to have problems running applications that are not properly registered with the operating system.

Post subject: Re: WD utility
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:48 pm 

If you had removed the old drive when you installed windows, the new drive would have been named c:. The old drive had a bootable partition on it and this can confuse things. Rather than taking it to a shop remove the old drive and reinstall windows on the new drive. You can add the old drive without problems after you boot up the first time. You said that you were playing games on the old drive. Did you reinstall these games?? You are bound to have problems running applications that are not properly registered with the operating system.

oddly enough. .I removed the old 6 gig which was labeled C . . I put in the new 80 gig, and freshly installed windows and it labeled it F . . the storage drive, 40 gig, remained D . . .after the video card error . . . teh D drive came up as C, and needed formatting according to it . . .

still can't get any of the files on it . .