Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help, virus got me can not boot my Pc.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:44 pm 

My problem is that my computer was infected by a virus (well 14 of them) know I cannot boot my Pc every time i try to boot it restarts and tells me that windows did not load correctly and it sends me to a menu to load windows in safe mode and others but i have tried all options and it keeps doing the same thing my Pc is a Hp Pavilion 7955, I cannot even acces my bios settings in order to change my boot sequence and just try to reinstall windows using my recovery disk that comes with my Pc, I hook up the drive as a SLave in an other Pc and thats the only way I have access to it, I have ran a antivirus program on it and erradicated the viruses, so i when back and hook up my drive again to my HP but the same problem persists, so i tried by hooking an other drive that i have and tried to reinstall windows on it but at boot time the pc say it cannot find NTLDR (i wonder what that means) and cannot continue with the installation, the windows version is windows XP Home Edition , is there a way i can acces my registry or my boot sequence when i hook up my drive to my other pc when i set it up as a slave so i can reinstall boot sequence that work or what do u suggest i can do, please help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:31 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

on the hdd that says "NTLDR'" try booting up with the winxp home cd and choose repair. then when you get to the black screen console type in "fixboot" and restart your computer. this fixes the master boot record. see if this works. im kinda skeptical though.

Post subject: Re: Help, virus got me can not boot my Pc.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:46 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

ponchotires wrote:
My problem is that my computer was infected by a virus (well 14 of them) know I cannot boot my Pc every time i try to boot it restarts and tells me that windows did not load correctly and it sends me to a menu to load windows in safe mode and others but i have tried all options and it keeps doing the same thing my Pc is a Hp Pavilion 7955, I cannot even acces my bios settings in order to change my boot sequence and just try to reinstall windows using my recovery disk that comes with my Pc, I hook up the drive as a SLave in an other Pc and thats the only way I have access to it, I have ran a antivirus program on it and erradicated the viruses, so i when back and hook up my drive again to my HP but the same problem persists, so i tried by hooking an other drive that i have and tried to reinstall windows on it but at boot time the pc say it cannot find NTLDR (i wonder what that means) and cannot continue with the installation, the windows version is windows XP Home Edition , is there a way i can acces my registry or my boot sequence when i hook up my drive to my other pc when i set it up as a slave so i can reinstall boot sequence that work or what do u suggest i can do, please help me.

I would do what keymaker says but us the command chkdsk /r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:44 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

thanks Phred for the further input. yeah chkdsk /r would definitely be a good idea too. good one

Post subject: Thank you guys
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:15 am 

Hey thanks KEYMAKER and PHRED15 for the help, but a funny thing happen I was pressing f10 several times when i was trying to boot to see if anything would happen and guess what-- it took me to a menu that allow me to do a recovery or reinstallation of windows xp, lucky me :lol: but if I hadn't been lucky I would had tried your suggestion, thank you guys for taking your time to give me a hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:25 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Just and FYI for Folks.

NTLDR is the boot loader for all NT based OS'es. It tells the OS were to go look for boot intructions. Munge this very simple text file and you are SOL possibly.

Manta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

[quote="ponchotires"]My problem is that my computer was infected by a virus (well 14 of them) know I cannot boot my Pc every time i try to boot it restarts and tells me that windows did not load correctly and it sends me to a menu to load windows in safe mode and others but i have tried all options and it keeps doing the same thing my Pc is a Hp Pavilion 7955, I cannot even acces my bios settings in order to change my boot sequence and just try to reinstall windows using my recovery disk that comes with my Pc, I hook up the drive as a SLave in an other Pc and thats the only way I have access to it, I have ran a antivirus program on it and erradicated the viruses, so i when back and hook up my drive again to my HP but the same problem persists, so i tried by hooking an other drive that i have and tried to reinstall windows on it but at boot time the pc say it cannot find NTLDR (i wonder what that means) and cannot continue with the installation, the windows version is windows XP Home Edition , is there a way i can acces my registry or my boot sequence when i hook up my drive to my other pc when i set it up as a slave so i can reinstall boot sequence that work or what do u suggest i can do, please help me.[/quote]

The NTLDR is the NT Loader file. If you have a copy of your OS on CD following the advice of other users on this forum. I have encountered this at my work and going into Recovery Console and running CHKDSK /R works most of the time.

If this does not work, try placing the Windows CD and doing clean install. This will eventually give you an option to repair an existing installation on any of your partitions. This will wipe out the system files, which could have been corrupted by the virus, and replace them directly from the CD.