Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No icons or start button in WinXP Help please
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:19 am 

Hello,
I was trying to help a friend of mine over the phone. He has a system consisting of ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, Radeon 9500 Pro, WD 80GB, and WinXP. He started the computer this morning and has no icons or start button. If he starts in safe mode everything is fine. He tried to do a system restore but it says that he can't turn on system restore in safe mode. We also tried a WinXP repair from the CD but it asks for password but there is not one and it won't let him continue. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Have you tried leaving the password field blank in the repair screen?

Does the start menu come up if you press the windows button?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:11 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It sounds like explorer isn't being loaded on startup ... or is crashing. Note that I am talking about explorer, not internet explorer. :)

Ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager .. under the Applications tab, on the bottom right hand side of the window is a button labelled New Task ... push it.

This will bring up a small dialog box. Tell him or her to type explorer in the bar and then hit enter.

If explorer is capable of working, that should bring it up. If not, ask the person to describe what happens and get back to us. :)

Post subject: Re: No icons or start button in WinXP Help please
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

caniack wrote:
Hello,
I was trying to help a friend of mine over the phone. He has a system consisting of ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, Radeon 9500 Pro, WD 80GB, and WinXP. He started the computer this morning and has no icons or start button. If he starts in safe mode everything is fine. He tried to do a system restore but it says that he can't turn on system restore in safe mode. We also tried a WinXP repair from the CD but it asks for password but there is not one and it won't let him continue. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you are talking about Recovery Console when it asks for a password, I know about that. The people I talk to believe it is a glitch.

Open registry by going into safe mode. Then Start, Run, and type in without "" "regedit". Then you want to go to HKEY_Local_Machine. Then Software, Microsoft, Windows NT, Setup, Recovery Console. In there you will find a entry called Security Level. Double click on it and change the value to 1. Close and do the Recovery Console again. This time it will not ask for any administator password.