Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with Zone Alarm and downloads
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:19 pm 
ALMOST BANNED
ALMOST BANNED

Seems like I have to shutdown ZoneAlarm to download anything and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to tweak in it's settings so I can download things. Where do I need to look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

check your program control to make sure the program/s has access rights, and maybe you should run high/medium for the zone security if your running high high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:46 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i used to use zonealarm and i think the problem could be in the advance part of the program control. im tyring to picture it in my head but is very vague since i havent used zonealarm in a while. enable something that deals with incoming/outgoing DNS/DHCP. i had to enable this in order for me to download stuff.

Post subject: Re: Need help with Zone Alarm and downloads
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

JBRONCFAN wrote:
Seems like I have to shutdown ZoneAlarm to download anything and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to tweak in it's settings so I can download things. Where do I need to look?

What version of ZA are you using. I have heard lots of people talking not only in here but other places with lots of bugs in ZA 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The new free version is glitchy. You could try reinstalling zonealarm not before uninstalling it and deleting and residual files. I have see zonealarm do wierd stuff before like break internet unless it was turned off, etc etc. Also i took a look at the latest free version and it seemed pretty strange to me. Maybe you could ask around for a slightly older version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:32 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

dx11101 wrote:
The new free version is glitchy. You could try reinstalling zonealarm not before uninstalling it and deleting and residual files. I have see zonealarm do wierd stuff before like break internet unless it was turned off, etc etc. Also i took a look at the latest free version and it seemed pretty strange to me. Maybe you could ask around for a slightly older version.

The very latest version 5.1.011 seems to be fine on my machine with SP2. Earlier versions don't play well with SP2.

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:53 am 
ALMOST BANNED
ALMOST BANNED

Well, just for future reference, I found out what was causing my problem. I would go onto websites/forums where posters could post pictures and they wouldn't be there. Then I disabled each function in ZA until I could see them. I had the banner ad blocking set to the highest. Once I reduced it to medium, I could view people's pictures. I returned ZA to all of the settings I turned off and with ad blocking set to medium, it still worked.