Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows XP boots fine but gives error EVERY time...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:31 pm 

Hello all. This is my first post as I have just joined the site. I have one problem with XP Home at present. When the desktop loads, I always get an error window entitled "Run DLL as an App", and of course it asks if I want to send an error report or not. I've clicked the link to view the info that will be sent in the error report, but could not identify the culprit from there. I have run SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AdAware, and my AV program (all having latest definitions) and no malware is showing up. Any thoughts on getting to the bottom of this? If I need to post the exact info in the report, just let me know and I will. Otherwise, all system specs are in the sig. Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:51 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

try booting up with the winxp home cd. first you will need to choose cdrom as your first boot device. then when you boot into winxp, choose repair and it will take you to a black prompt screen. then afterwards type out "chkdsk /r" without the "". then restart the computer once thats done and boot into windows. see if that error disappears.

also could be an error with some program that starts up automatically when you boot into windows. when you get into windows, try going into start -> run -> and then type in "msconfig" without the "" again. then when you see a gray box appear, click on the startup tab. then uncheck any program that you dont need. be very careful when you do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:01 am 

Thanks Key, for the quick reply. I have never been able to boot from the XP CD without having to go through all the hassle of reinstalling and reactivating Windows. I thought if I chose "Repair", it would do a repair install. I've never even seen a black prompt screen when booting from the CD, so it's good news that I can get command line control from the CD. I did run MSconfig and unchecked three lines that were completely unidentified as to program and location. I booted up, but still got the error, so I guess I'll try the CD boot. Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:15 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Go to start>run and type in the box chkdsk /r it will prompt you and ask if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot, check yes, then reboot and it will run checkdisk and fix any problems it finds.

I just googled and found this site, it may be your answer if checkdisk don't work.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5225409.html

Nasty